Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 22, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #31 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick thought, pmillett ... you say yours is in a wallet tin, what are the dimensions? Im not sure i get the scale of how small this might be...

Mine's 4.5" x 5" x 1.3" or so...

A jumbo Altoids tin would be cool?

Pete

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #32 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good lord! Someone bought the last 85 of the AC Adapters! Looks like someone is looking to cash in if you ask me...
frown.gif

No worries, there are tons of them on eBay from many different sellers. Do a search for "Cisco PSA18U"...

Pete

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #34 of 7,277
Ill have to look into this as a summer Idea, I might upgrade some components especially the Pot and maybe the caps and resistors. I like that a powersupply can just be bought and used for it.

How does it sound, as compared to cmoy and other budget builds (mini3, soha etc.)

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #35 of 7,277
I'm curious to know how this stands up against the SOHA, and whether or not it has a DC offset issue when powering up and down like the SOHA does (necessitating a protection circuit for forgetful folk such as myself).

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #36 of 7,277
King Pete!

Many thanks, Pete, for continuing to feed our obsession. We owe you! And thanks to Nate as well for jumping in and building one up.
I'll be digging through the parts bin here and might sneak this one in while I wait for parts for other projects.

Very cool!

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #37 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, if they don't come up again. The power supply is an easy project

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmillett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries, there are tons of them on eBay from many different sellers. Do a search for "Cisco PSA18U"...

Pete

Looks like im having no luck locating one for the UK. If the supply were an easy project, would someone be able to put up a schematic? Id have no idea even where to start to design a PS.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #39 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to know how this stands up against the SOHA, and whether or not it has a DC offset issue when powering up and down like the SOHA does (necessitating a protection circuit for forgetful folk such as myself).

If you look at the schematic, the outputs sit at ~19V. So yes, until the coupling cap charges, I would think that your headphones will see that voltage.

That said, IMHO, the spirit of the design would dictate simply being careful to wait before plugging in, not applying a sophisticated delay/offset protection circuit.
wink.gif
The same precaution was traditional for a long time with the SOHA and a couple of iterations of the Millett Hybrid before that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151
How does it sound compered to the millet max?

Gosh - please don't get us into a "this is better than that, etc." by asking a question like that.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
There's probably nothing that can compete with this as a tube amp and low cost. I'm excited about it - it looks like great fun, but I don't think it takes anything away from the Millett MAX.

Pete himself suggested about the Starving Student, "This is a fairly tubey sounding amplifier, similar in character to the original hybrid tube headphone amp design I published in audioXpress waaay back in 2002." He is referring to the famous original Millett Hybrid that used monolithic BUF634 buffers and an off-the-shelf DC power supply.

I would imagine that it's very competitive, but the MAX's power supply and diamond buffer is as sophisticated as many top-level solid-state amps (besides including an on-board delay circuit). However, AFAIK, none of us besides Pete and Nate have tried the 19J6 tubes, yet. So, build them both. That's what I'm going to do - several of each, even.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Again - thanks, Pete!!

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #40 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gosh - please don't get us into a "this is better than that, etc." by asking a question like that.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
There's probably nothing that can compete with this as a tube amp and low cost. I'm excited about it - it looks like great fun, but I don't think it takes anything away from the Millett MAX.

I just wondered what the differences were, not which is best. I bet it sounds great and id love to build one. Especially if its pretty small.
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #41 of 7,277
I'm with Tom, there are certain compromises that go along with a sub-$50 amp and if one of those is remebering to unplug your headphones before applying or removing power that shouldn't be too much to ask, should it?
smily_headphones1.gif

And I haven't heard a MAX for months now so you won't see me making any critical comparison between the two.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #42 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pretty much all single-ended amps with an output cap have a bit of a turn-on thump... but since the bias on the FET comes up somewhat slowly (2k resistor and 150uF) it's not too bad. Audible but not enough to damage anything.

That said, it's still not a bad idea to unplug the headphones.

Pete

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #44 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with Tom, there are certain compromises that go along with a sub-$50 amp and if one of those is remebering to unplug your headphones before applying or removing power that shouldn't be too much to ask, should it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Huh, how will i ever live with the ball ache of having to unplug my headphones before turning the power off?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back