Millett Hybrid Max vs Little Dot mk III Review, but only one can stay.
Sep 6, 2008 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

AndrewZander

Head-Fier
My wife let me purchase both a Millett Max and a Little Dot Mk 3 to compare (hadn’t heard either of them previously), but she's only letting me keep one of them.

So, I thought I would right a brief review of both amps and share with you all. I’m also hopeful that there will be some feedback to help me make the best choice.

My set up: iMac (Apple Lossless) -> Beresford TC-7510 -> [AMP] -> Senn. HD-580

Some specs:
The Millett is using a 24v 1A power supply with RCA 12AE6A tubes

The LD Mk3:
Power tubes: Matched Russian 6H6P-I
Driver tubes: Matched Russian Voshod 6J1P-EV/6AK5

Both amps have sufficient burn in time.

I listened to a variety of music through both amps (classical to hip-hop/rap). Here are my observations:

The Millett has much tighter bass than the LD Mk3. I don’t know that I would go so far as to say the bass on the LD is flabby or uncontrolled, there’s just quite a bit more of it. I would probably venture to say that the sound of the bass in the Millett is more authentic.

The LD Mk3 seems to have a more distant sound stage and I find that I’m able to pick out individual instruments/sounds more easily. For example, I find that vocals are a bit more separated from the music, as if the singer’s mic was up a little higher or standing in front of the band. Whereas the Millett sounds like everything is the same distance away, and the sound stage is closer - more of an “in your face” type of sound.

The LD Mk3 seems like it has more of a warmer/smoother sound than the Millett. Whereas the Millett seems very clean and precise.

To have about the same sound level the LD Mk3 volume knob is at about 11:00, the knob on the Millett is at 9:00. There is little doubt that the Millett has a lot of power to spare. I might question the LD Mk3’s ability to power headphones that need more juice. As a note, the knob on the Millett is more responsive - meaning a small increments make a big difference, this isn’t the case on the LD Mk3.

The build quality of the LD Mk3 seems pretty good; much heavier than the Millett.
I picked up the Millett through a Do It Yourself-er here on Head-Fi and he did a great job on the Millett. I think I like the look of the Millett better than the LD Mk3, but looks aren’t everything. I’ve posted some pictures of the amps here:

Headphone Amp Pics

As stated above, I can only keep one of these amps. So, please share your experiences and opinions about these.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sep 6, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 39
Did you set the gain switches (on the underside of the amp through the access holes) to match the HD580 on the MK III ?

I have 650's and can't get much past 9 o'clock on the volume knob without blowing my ears out....at 11 I'd be running from the room...

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 39
What gain do you have your LD MKIII set on? If you have not changed it, it should be at 3. With the HD580, the max gain of 10 might be more appropriate if you want to use less of the volume control.

Sep 6, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 39
To add to Henmyrs excellent advice....the LD MK III manual states that any can of 300 ohms or more, the gain switches should be set at 10. Look up the dip combos, I think it's off,off and off,off for gain of 10. The DIPs are 2 slide switches, one pair for each channel.

Jumpers underneath (closed) allow driver rolling to EF92 family of tubes.

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 39
The configuration of the gain switches are (for both channels, of course): switch 1: is near the number 1 (off?), switch 2 is near "On" (on?).

When I put both 1 and 2 near the word on, it seems quieter. When both switches are near the numbers it sounds like ass - distortion, most prominently in the lower frequencies.

Andrew

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewZander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The configuration of the gain switches are (for both channels, of course): switch 1: is near the number 1 (off?), switch 2 is near "On" (on?).

When I put both 1 and 2 near the word on, it seems quieter. When both switches are near the numbers it sounds like ass - distortion, most prominently in the lower frequencies.

Andrew

There are four small switches total. Two pairs of switches (you probably know this, but saying it anyone to be sure).

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 39
It shouldn't sound like ass....something isn't right. How old are the tubes ?

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 39
How many hours on them ? The type is fine.

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 39
Ok how may hours on the MK III ?

Sorry for all the questions...you shouldn't being hearing distortion. Mine is as clear and clean as can be....10 gain setting into HD650's which are also 300 ohm.

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 39
I purchased the Mk 3 used. the previous owner said there were 20 hours on it. So, i would say 70 hours total on the unit.

I don't have a manual for it, which position should the switches be in? Close to the printing of the numbers, or close to the printing of the word "on"?

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 39
here's the setting for LD MKIV, maybe it's the same for MKIII

switch 1 on, switch 2 on : gain = 3 (low imp/high sensitivity)
switch 1 off, switch 2 on : gain = 4 (med imp/med sensitivity)
switch 1 on, switch 2 off : gain = 5 (med imp/med sensitivity)
switch 1 off, switch 2 off : gain = 10 (high imp/low sensitivity)

you have to set both of switch 1 & 2
i'm using gain 4 with HD650, gives more control over volume

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here's the setting for LD MKIV, maybe it's the same for MKIII

switch 1 on, switch 2 on : gain = 3 (low imp/high sensitivity)
switch 1 off, switch 2 on : gain = 4 (med imp/med sensitivity)
switch 1 on, switch 2 off : gain = 5 (med imp/med sensitivity)
switch 1 off, switch 2 off : gain = 10 (high imp/low sensitivity)

you have to set both of switch 1 & 2
i'm using gain 4 with HD650, gives more control over volume

Thanks Bozz!

When doing my testing of the amp, I also had mine at gain 4.

Andrew

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewZander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife let me purchase both a Millett Max and a Little Dot Mk 3 to compare (hadn’t heard either of them previously), but she's only letting me keep one of them.

With that equation, you are only able to keep 50% of what you want, but....by adding a 3rd variable you can improve your odds. If you can let go of 1 item & keep 2, between the Millett Max, LD MK III, or your wife....then there becomes a much better chance you'd be able to keep both amps!
tongue.gif
(Sorry, that was rude, uncalled for, & I just couldn't help myself).

Are you definitely planning on keeping the HD580s for the foreseeable future? That could be a potential factor.

In your review, you gave some good comparative descriptions of the 2 amps, but you didn't mention if one of them was simply more fun & toe-tapping than the other(?). That could be a possible deal-breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back