Millet Hybrid Max questions
Jan 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tf1216

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had such a horrible experience with their DIY build that they dropped the project entirely?

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 6
There have been two instances that I can think of:

1. One was in the MAX thread right here on Head-Fi. He's a frequent poster in many sections on Head-Fi, but declared his unwillingness to work with fixing the mistakes or accept help.

2. One was on DIYForums.org, where the user posted a pic of his populated board. Unfortunately, we noticed that the output transistors were reversed in a couple of cases. Despite numerous entreaties and even a few PM's from myself and ruZZ.il, I believe, he was never heard from again.

Both of these instances are a real shame. AFAIK, there has not been a single instance of an unsolved problem with a MAX for someone who was willing to accept some help.

It's well known amongst many of us, but one user (Amphead) personally took delivery on an entire balanced version of the MAX from a user and fixed it. Even so, that was the only case I can think of that was not solved from just posts and pics in this forum and on DIYForums.

I'm sure there are several of us who are willing to do that if all else fails - but the builder has to have the desire to fix it, first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Just a quick related comment:
The MAX is one of the most thoroughly and competently supported DIY projects online, from the days of Bulletin Boards to todays Forums. And if you have time, most of the the process from Pete Milletts Audio Express amp, all the way to the MAX, is online for you to follow. It is a worthwhile read.

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's well known amongst many of us, but one user (Amphead) personally took delivery on an entire balanced version of the MAX from a user and fixed it. Even so, that was the only case I can think of that was not solved from just posts and pics in this forum and on DIYForums.

I'm sure there are several of us who are willing to do that if all else fails - but the builder has to have the desire to fix it, first.
smily_headphones1.gif

And, as all DIY know, this is not a game of pride. I enjoy listening to this said amp every day - while I have more accurate and expensive equiptment, this amp is my most fun - even as a lowly dynamic... :)

Seriously, having taken about 6 months to overcome all my obstacles, had it not been for the help received above and beyond the board, mine would have been shelved.

A chance to once again say thank you to all - especially Amphead, who was able to salvage my build.

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 6
MAX boards were born to live!
biggrin.gif
The board has really proven itself, and it shows. Like Tom says, the only unsolved problems we know about are ones that weren't tackled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back