MIDI-keyboards?
Apr 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Staal

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I've decided to learn to play an instrument. Nothing serious, but I felt like having something to do besides listening to music when I've got time to spare or trouble sleeping.

It was either the piano/keyboard or a banjo, and I really don't think my neighbours would appreciate me going "dueling banjos" on them in the middle of the night even though it would've been awesome (and unconventional since country isn't big in any way around here).

I have no clue about these kinds of instruments and I've only ever played around with a jew's harp I got from a family member as a kid.

Any recommendations as to what I should pick up to start the proces of learning and having fun with it? Seems MIDI-keyboards are the obvious choice for me as funds for this project are limited and I can't really house anything huge with the limited space that I have available with my current housing situation.

Thanks in advance - any input is much appreciated. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 2
Yamaha has some decent and inexpensive synthesizer/digital piano models. Korg makes some good products as well. I know M-Audio has some cheap offerings, but I don't know if they stand-up to constant (ab)use. Basically, as you move into more expensive keyboards, you get more features, more realistic key feeling, and on some level better quality (I don't know where the "top out" is in terms of fidelity relative to just being able to survive road abuse). 

I'd say go to someplace like Guitar Center or whatever and play around with keyboards (they should have a whole section), and find something you like. If you're going to go MIDI into your PC, there's lots of inexpensive USB interfaces that can get you hooked up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back