Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Mar 13, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 1,876
can you describe the sound characteristics of the Westone W80. Might be able to point you in the right direction. What do you feel the phones could do better in.
So, Twister6’s review of the W80s encapsulate it best (ref: https://twister6.com/2016/12/09/westone-w80/2/ -- also compares to other EIMs and cables), so will paraphrase (with all credit to him; highly summarized): Low end has a deep sub-bass extension with a warm textured rumble. Sub-bass above neutral level. Lower mids have a nice body, not too thick or too thin, maintains an overall clarity. Upper mids forward with good definition. Vocals have energy and definition. Treble is extended with sparkle, but not piercing. Soundstage is super wide but the depth more intimate, closer to the music (instead of holographic). Not the level of transparency and sound separation found in analytically-tuned IEMs. <end> Versus the W80's provided ALO Ref8 cable, am hoping a new cable could support more depth, sub-bass going a little bit deeper and mid-bass punching a little harder, more airiness and crispiness. Just not sure which of the Electro Acousti: CS, MS or GS Series (8-core all) would contribute best....

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #18 of 1,876
1A990863-F19B-46CC-A37B-C34C3F499C2D.jpeg

Hansound ZENTOO
Nice feel, great detail and an improvement over the original Zen.
https://music-sanctuary.com/collect...und-audio-zentoo-4-wire-occ-copper-litz-cable

$140.63 USD
$14.13 USD 4.4mm plug

F59A297C-BD82-44A0-8BE2-53F84DEEB612.jpeg
5B5EDAFD-EB5F-4904-9B4B-119819DAC2F9.jpeg
6F68E8F8-37E9-4C94-84CB-8778C65AE1E5.jpeg
79A09F8E-9520-4B2C-95EA-B8ED1132BEB6.jpeg

The lack of any bend protection at the plug seems like it would be an issue but the cable bend quality seems to be OK? This new cable is made with a better cover thus reducing the risk of getting stiff like the original Zen did.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #19 of 1,876
Don’t know if these fit here as they are over a bit?

Sony MUC-M12SB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX $237 (Known as the “Kimber”) Copper Color

Sony MUC-M12NB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX $235 Sometimes less. Black Color
B80783BA-2C70-4F5C-A698-2E08E9CB8EAC.jpeg
487013E5-9699-4728-8E50-8A7802191A70.jpeg
D2AA4728-C225-4C30-A333-578ED67D7B5A.jpeg

Mar 17, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #21 of 1,876
I think the 175 cable would do you just fine. You will be happy with it.
My s16 cable have arrived and I have now just plugged it in with my fdx1. The result is wooow! Honestly the depth and thickness of the sound has improved about 50% and the detail is similar but everything sounds more clear because I feel more increase in instrument separation. Thanks a lot for all your help and recommendation because I never knew my fdx1 could sound this good! I love a thick sound that is natural without elevating bass too much as for my taste the sound then becomes too warm, lazy and overall lacking in technicalities. This cable is perfect in that regard but if it had the detail of the 175 cable then it would be perfect. That added meat is an instant joy!

Btw any other cables you know of that add girth like these with even greater detail? I am actually very curious now as I never expected this outcome tbh.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 1,876
My s16 cable have arrived and I have now just plugged it in with my fdx1. The result is wooow! Honestly the depth and thickness of the sound has improved about 50% and the detail is similar but everything sounds more clear because I feel more increase in instrument separation. Thanks a lot for all your help and recommendation because I never knew my fdx1 could sound this good! I love a thick sound that is natural without elevating bass too much as for my taste the sound then becomes too warm, lazy and overall lacking in technicalities. This cable is perfect in that regard but if it had the detail of the 175 cable then it would be perfect. That added meat is an instant joy!

Btw any other cables you know of that add girth like these with even greater detail? I am actually very curious now as I never expected this outcome tbh.

I am still experimenting with the FXD1. Glad your liking the S-16 cable on it. You might have to get something a bit more substantial I am thinking something like a AG8 but the cost on them is pricier. For now I would just enjoy what you have. Cables can only do so much to change the sonic qualities of a phone. Once you get to the pricier stuff you have to wonder if your better off getting a new phone instead. But for now run some music through the cable and enjoy that new sound. Can't use the stock cable after that change. I know all about it. Lol.

Mar 17, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #23 of 1,876
I am still experimenting with the FXD1. Glad your liking the S-16 cable on it. You might have to get something a bit more substantial I am thinking something like a AG8 but the cost on them is pricier. For now I would just enjoy what you have. Cables can only do so much to change the sonic qualities of a phone. Once you get to the pricier stuff you have to wonder if your better off getting a new phone instead. But for now run some music through the cable and enjoy that new sound. Can't use the stock cable after that change. I know all about it. Lol.
Yes I am really loving the sound from these right now and going back to the stock cable would be absolutely impossible. The only very slight con I would give them is that this cable adds a bit of warmth (tolerable for me) which makes the sound a bit more less precise/fast but the positives faarr outway the slight negatives which make them an instant upgrade over the stock cable. I would also say that the s16 probably suit highly technical iems like the fdx1 the most or otherwise I feel on more warmer iems these cables would make the sound very slow and dull.

Thanks once again and the only reason I asked for another recommendation is because I will be jumping on the ybf bandwagon and see what that hype is all about. From what I have read the mids on those are slightly thinner and the bass is big. So I want to be prepared with a proper cable that will tighten the bass with zero warmth but more bodied mids that sound detailed enough.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #25 of 1,876
@Dsnuts how does the isn s4 compare to Cable 173? 173 is pure silver while s4 is SPC right? So the s4 probably has more bass quantity than the 173. Maybe s4 is better compared to the 175?

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #26 of 1,876
S4 has a very good crystal copper core it uses and then plated in silver. Pure silver cables will enhance stage and details but leans out the bass end as a side effect. Pure silver cables are good for earphones that have too much bass or is dark in signature to bring some light into the equasion but otherwise the S4 is more practical. It has really good silver properties more so than their 8 core S8 and since it uses a high quality OCC crytal copper wire it retains mids and bass presence.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #27 of 1,876
Anyone see any deals over at AliExpress that should be mentioned here? I've seen a few cables already but curious for other options.

Mar 30, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #29 of 1,876
cema electro acoustic: palladium cable

#Aliexpress SG$ 533.20 | Eagle sign: chime series upgrade cable, gold silver copper palladium hybrid cable HM334 IER Z1R ETYMOTIC
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYP73iO

Who has tried this cable? $368 seems a bit steep, and it's not even on sale for Aliexpress anniversary...

BTW. Any good cables for Audeze headphones on Aliexpress right now on sale?

Mar 30, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 1,876
Hi there,

Can someone help me finding a cable with the following (mandatory) criteria:

- High braid quality
- USD 500 max
- Recessed 2pin (premium quality with firm fit)
- Copper only
- Ear hooks

I am looking for direct sale via boutique's official website.

Thanks, merci, grazie, danke, obrigado, arigato, gracias and byebye

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back