'Mid-fi' recommendations (MAX $400) See thread for requirement before suggesting
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have friend so is in need of some headphones. They would like to buy the headphones first and then think about amplifications and source later.

What is paramount for them is comfort, thus why Grado is out of the question and why Ultrasone is borderline in this aspect thus why I'm not going that way.
They were wanting 'I currently really like my HD555s, but I feel like I need a pair of headphones with quite a bit more bass' so I've thought of recommending a beyerdynamic however of course I am highly concerned about the lack of amplification thus they won't be driving it close to their potential.  Having tested all the 250ohm and 600ohm mid-fi DTXXX mdoels, I'm concerned about the treble. The treble, even on the 600ohm DT770  and DT990 models are a bit much for me. The Denon D5000 could be an option, but I feel it isn't good value for money and I'm sure they can afford better than a Denon D2000. I'm not as familiar with the Audio Technica mid-fi models so if peeps care to inform me on those, do so. Bass-light is not an option here as really, the HD555's are bass light.

A more realistic budget is really $300-350.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 7
Sup kiwi bru.
deadhorse.gif

What music does he listen to?

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Random suggestion: Phiaton PS 500. Easily one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Easy to drive, plenty of bass.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 7
I have only heard a few varieties of "good" headphones in the past few years, so I don't think my opinion counts for much, but I own the Denon AH-D5000 and it is utterly phenomenal to me, leagues beyond the HD595 and ATH-A700.  As well it should, I guess, given the price difference and considering all are reputable brands where price usually indicates quality. In any case, it sounds fantastic. Don't write it off because it seems like an easy choice!  

It might also be worth mentioning that a friend told me the Denons are more comfortable on his head than both of the aforementioned other phones, and I agree. They are very comfortable for sure, but I could imagine them getting a little hot on the ears (leather cups) during warm months. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 7
$300--$350? Up to $400? Aren't we talking Sennheiser HD650 here? Treble too much, more bass, must be comfortable? Yes, definitely HD650.

And don't let anyone tell you the 650 isn't comfortable. It isn't, until about two weeks after you've bought it; then it's one of the most comfortable phones ever.  

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Hmm, paramount is comfort. The HD650 has a bit of a clamp to them. It's not uncomfortable, but noticeable that it requires a shift now and then. Because it's oblong, it tends to put pressure on my jaw. The Denon D2000 is uber comfortable, as are the AKG K240 line, very light clamp, but the vinyl can get annoying against the skin. I find the DT990 more comfortable than the DT770.

What's left, really, is what kind of sound are you looking for? $400 can buy you into many many different brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back