MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Aug 12, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,374 of 2,609
Hi all , Pardon me if this has already been discussed ,..Who has tried the early 1950s Bendix Red Bank 2C50 / 12sn7 in their Microzotl ? I think they are the cheery on top ,.

I just got in a pair today and am letting them settle. They seem to have a lush mid-range with lots of good, tight bass but their top end has not reached the airiness of my 14N7s yet. I only have a couple of hours on them and as you might have noticed the MZ2 seems to take longer than other amps for tubes to break-in. These are very promising however.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #2,375 of 2,609
I just got in a pair today and am letting them settle. They seem to have a lush mid-range with lots of good, tight bass but their top end has not reached the airiness of my 14N7s yet. I only have a couple of hours on them and as you might have noticed the MZ2 seems to take longer than other amps for tubes to break-in. These are very promising however.
I think I was getting ahead myself expecting something better by rolling tubes so soon of receiving my MZ2S ,
There were simply too many things settling in at once , new components and new interconnects all going through various stages of change and now after weeks of listening I'm sure all has settled in .Currently I'm using LTAs selection of tubes also I did change out the chassis RCAs in the MZ2S with silver Eichmann which my interconnects are terimiated with also including replacing the standard ac cable from power supply to MZ2S to the premium cable offered on LTAs site . Right now I'm thrilled with what I'm hearing and perhaps someday try the Red Bank Bendix including some select 12AT7s and with that any changes would be easily decerned ,

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #2,376 of 2,609
I think I was getting ahead myself expecting something better by rolling tubes so soon of receiving my MZ2S ,
There were simply too many things settling in at once , new components and new interconnects all going through various stages of change and now after weeks of listening I'm sure all has settled in .Currently I'm using LTAs selection of tubes also I did change out the chassis RCAs in the MZ2S with silver Eichmann which my interconnects are terimiated with also including replacing the standard ac cable from power supply to MZ2S to the premium cable offered on LTAs site . Right now I'm thrilled with what I'm hearing and perhaps someday try the Red Bank Bendix including some select 12AT7s and with that any changes would be easily decerned ,

Sounds like a good plan. The MZ2 and Z10 are amazing pieces of kit but one must be aware that to get there takes a bit more break-in patience than with other equipment. Tube swapping break-in especially takes longer as does warm up with each listening session.

Our patience is rewarded by remarkable sound and long lived tube life as well.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #2,377 of 2,609
Sounds like a good plan. The MZ2 and Z10 are amazing pieces of kit but one must be aware that to get there takes a bit more break-in patience that with other equipment. Tube swapping break-in especially takes longer as does warm up with each listening session.

Our patience is rewarded by remarkable sound and long lived tube life as well.
Yes patience is a virtue and finally after a year my attempt at putting together an enjoyable headphone experience was renewed with the purchase of the ZMF ORI LE and MZ2 S .

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,378 of 2,609
Has anyone bought the newer unit with remote? I don't see pictures on their site of a remote. I am contemplating sending my original MZ2 in to upgrade to remote control (and the 3rd input). It sounds like they are just going to give me a new unit. I recently bought a Schiit Vidar and Saga combo, but I wasn't aware they added the IR sensor to the MZ2. I would imagine the MZ2 would destroy the Saga as a Pre-amp.

Hopefully someone can chime in with their experience with the remote functionality.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #2,379 of 2,609
Has anyone bought the newer unit with remote? I don't see pictures on their site of a remote. I am contemplating sending my original MZ2 in to upgrade to remote control (and the 3rd input). It sounds like they are just going to give me a new unit. I recently bought a Schiit Vidar and Saga combo, but I wasn't aware they added the IR sensor to the MZ2. I would imagine the MZ2 would destroy the Saga as a Pre-amp.

Hopefully someone can chime in with their experience with the remote functionality.

AFAIK the new remote is a motorized version of the same Alps Blue pot. It just has volume up and down but no mute or balance. That might be enough for many. I have the remote-less version and use a Tortuga LDR "passive remote control preamp before the MZ2. I need the balance control due to uneven sonics in my room.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #2,380 of 2,609
I recently picked up a Schiit Eitr/Mimby/Saga/Vidar combo. I am actually amazed at the quality of the Saga preamp ($349 tube buffered), which does have a remote control. I keep thinking that the MZ2 would just be a much better preamp for the Vidar. Currently my headphone setup sits next to me on the couch. I have really enjoyed the MZ2 as a headphone amp. It would be about $400 to upgrade my MZ2. Now this will essentially get me the newest MZ2S, as my board will be put into the new chassis (which is the thicker case, adds a 3rd input, IR sensor, and the modified pre-out improvements LTA has made). This IMO is a very reasonable price to charge.

I think I will let the Saga settle in a little longer (particularly the tube), than do a comparison between the two before deciding if the upgrade is worth it. I've read a few reviews with the MZ2 as a preamp, and everyone praised the MZ2 so much as a preamp. If it isn't a night and day difference, I'll just stick with the Saga. Truth be told, the Saga/Vidar with the lowly Modi Multibit DAC has been a very revealing system. I have owned several mid-upper level AVRs, and the Schiit gear is the best sounding by a long shot. My father commented while listening to IHeartRadio through the Xbox One S, that songs he has heard hundreds of times, have details he has never noticed (He has been an A/V enthusiast for almost 50 years).

I will do the upgrade to the MZ2 at some point regardless, but currently I am still acquiring a few expensive pieces (Smyth Research A16 and a Turntable, most likely the upcoming Schiit Sol). I really wish I knew the MZ2S has an IR sensor BEFORE I bought the Saga. Now I'll have to wait a few months before upgrading as funds are redirected elsewhere for a while.

I will say this, the LTA guys have been great to deal with. I emailed them about upgrading, and the few emails were answered quickly, and with everything I asked and more in their answers. I love when companies care enough to respond quickly and thoroughly.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #2,381 of 2,609

You've made me realize that in updating the site photography to make sure the newest version of everything was shown, I did not include any pictures of the remote. It is a standard Apple remote. Here is a photo of it with an MZ2 (which no longer has the white ring around the HP jack).

The Schiit preamps use a nice-quality digitally stepped attenuator - I actually use a Saga at home. Before committing to the upgrade, though I think it will slightly improve your unit beyond adding remote functionality, I'd suggest spending a few days laboriously getting up to change the volume and trying the MZ2 in your system as a preamp. I believe the Vidar employs a novel topology and every preamp does not find synergy with every power amp. Another option (which I'm currently trying in my home system) is to use the Saga in passive mode and insert the MZ2 in the chain between it and your power amp.

withremote.JPG

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #2,382 of 2,609
You've made me realize that in updating the site photography to make sure the newest version of everything was shown, I did not include any pictures of the remote. It is a standard Apple remote. Here is a photo of it with an MZ2 (which no longer has the white ring around the HP jack).

The Schiit preamps use a nice-quality digitally stepped attenuator - I actually use a Saga at home. Before committing to the upgrade, though I think it will slightly improve your unit beyond adding remote functionality, I'd suggest spending a few days laboriously getting up to change the volume and trying the MZ2 in your system as a preamp. I believe the Vidar employs a novel topology and every preamp does not find synergy with every power amp. Another option (which I'm currently trying in my home system) is to use the Saga in passive mode and insert the MZ2 in the chain between it and your power amp.

That's exactly what I was going to do. I'm playing with a few things first before doing the upgrade. Still dialing in the Saga and really enjoying it. My entire setup is massive and confusing to many. I'm going to try the MZ2 in a few configurations, and see how it goes. It'll be a fun project experiment.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #2,385 of 2,609
Sorry if this was already covered, but I would like to know if it is still possible to use 6SN7 Tubes in the S Version which comes with stock 12SN7 tubes.

It depends - as there has been some evolution of the name that hasn't been very clear. Originally, the circuit board was altered in order to allow the use of 12SN7s, so you could not use 6SN7s. Later, we redesigned the board to have jumpers, which allows the user to relatively easily choose whether they'd like to use 6SN7 or 12SN7 tubes.

All current and recent amps have the jumpers. If you are looking to purchase a used amp, ask the seller if the board has jumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back