Microsoft buries ten grand on the internet
Jun 17, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 55
What a move of desperation. This does not make me think highly of Microsoft, whatsoever.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 55
This reminds me of the Microsoft Live rebate/giveaway thing.

Microsoft seems willing to do anything for a shred of popularity.

What's weird is I almost feel sorry for Microsoft. However, considering the lockup/reboot Windows XP SP2 greeted me with this morning (as is its custom) I think not.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

However, considering the lockup/reboot Windows XP SP2 greeted me with this morning (as is its custom) I think not.

That's more your fault than the OS's. We've offered numerous times to help remedy the issue, but you prefer to stick your nose at us just so you have a reason to whine about MS. (Since you bring this issue up almost every time Windows is mentioned)

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 55
You know what? I'm going to try it. I have nothing to do tomorrow...

Why do they say that to Chrome users? I bet there's way less Chrome users than Opera users

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 55
I found a typo on their page. It says "...upgrade your browser to Windows Internet Explorer 8 now." but it should say downgrade. Someone please contact them about this mistake. Thank you.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's more your fault than the OS's. We've offered numerous times to help remedy the issue, but you prefer to stick your nose at us just so you have a reason to whine about MS. (Since you bring this issue up almost every time Windows is mentioned)

Unfortunately, I don't have administrator access. There's a department with five people and a healthy six figure budget to cope with it. They know of the problems and advise reboots. I'm not unique; about 150 users here have similar problems.

The *nix machines I run for myself don't crash. Ever. I don't have to fiddle with them, either. It's been probably 18 months since I've updated or had to do any maintenance on the Linux box.

It's not snobbishness. It's the same reason I've dumped a couple of cars and any number of electronics. Reliability is key. If something isn't reliable, I don't want it. I'm forced to use Windows at the office. I'm also forced to use a number of other systems, but I don't complain about them because they're actually reliable.

You Windows people sound just like the people who own fiddly exotic cars. They'll go on and on about them being the best ever and super reliable, except that you have to put 10 hours of maintenance and $400 of parts into it every week or else it won't be the super reliable or best ever. I am not going to devote extra free time to keep a machine from repeatedly crashing when I can have something that never crashes and requires almost zero maintenance instead.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 55
Found it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

People should've tried the website listed there.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You Windows people sound just like the people who own fiddly exotic cars. They'll go on and on about them being the best ever and super reliable, except that you have to put 10 hours of maintenance and $400 of parts into it every week or else it won't be the super reliable or best ever. I am not going to devote extra free time to keep a machine from repeatedly crashing when I can have something that never crashes and requires almost zero maintenance instead.

I'm sorry, but you "Apple people" seem to be misinformed about us "Windows people". You seem to think it takes a rocket scientist to keep Windows stable, which is untrue. The few times I've had a lock up I've been able to diagnose and remedy it in short time. I also don't need to replace parts every week to keep my PC working. WinXP may not be most productive, but it's far from broken. Don't believe everything Apple and fanboys (on either side) tell you.

And you are snobbish. Each time we brought this up previously, you'd ignore our help, not even giving a a legitimate excuse. Hell, the paragraph I quoted says plenty about your attitude. And if your IT people or whoever don't have the care or know how to keep XP PCs stable, then well...

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

However, considering the lockup/reboot Windows XP SP2 greeted me with this morning (as is its custom) I think not.

What Is Service Pack 3?

Its common knowledge that keeping your software up to date is the best way to avoid problems. Apple does it too. BTW: Windows has automatic updating now so maybe your problem is with your IT guys and not your computer.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 55
IE8 is limited to MS Windows.
So for some of us it is quite hard to upgrade our browser from Firefox to IE8. . .
wink.gif

A desperate act to get users back to IE I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back