Micro-Meet: When HE90 Met K1000
Aug 8, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
That's cool, Mike. There is definitely something odd about the K1000 orientation in terms of the speakers hanging off of your ears. Almost every time I wear them, it takes 5-10 minutes to get myself oriented. Not so much in terms of how the music sounds, nor that they're particularly akward to wear, but just something doesn't seem natural. So I guess I know what you're talking about. The nice thing is that you've passed them on the someone who will get more use from them.

k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

that lucky person was me
k1000smile.gif
, can you tell I love them?
While only having heard the HE90s and R10s in meet conditions, I prefer the R10, that might change over time listening in a home environment.
So far the K1000s have been extremely amp dependent and have shined through two amps that I have the Moth 2a3 and a Fisher kx100 el84 intergrated.
Great write up in this thread about the relative strenghts of both phones.

PS I am suprised that AKG, Sony and Senn does not do limited runs of either these classics or new statement cans. Produce a batch release wait then batch another... or release new statement cans that might lead to inovation in lower cans. Many inovations in cars come about through statement or racing production then they trickle down in modified cost efficient ways.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #32 of 40
I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment of the headphone maker's have thrown in the towel after their statement products. Most would consider Stax's replacement SR-007 a successful SR-Omega replacement (I've only heard the SR-Omega briefly so I cannot say which I prefer - I am no fan of the SR-007). I'm sure there are many at Sony who feel the Qualia is proud successor to the R10 (though I still prefer the R10 I do acknowledge the Qualia is superior in certain respects). There are also some within AKG (and even some Head-fiers) who prefer the K701 to the K1000 and find it a successor (in my opinion the K1000 is too unique for comparison with any other headphone, and even if I owned the HE90 I probably would keep the K1000 for its fresh perspective). Regarding the HE90, there are some that feel the HD600 and HD650 are superior to the Orpheus when driven by a balanced amplifier (while I do find the SDS-XLR/HD6xx to be amazing I still prefer the HE90 but I’m an HE90 fanboy
wink.gif
).

Depending on one's perspective one could argue that all the headphone manufacturers have attempted to replace their statement products - how successful those replacement products have been is a matter up for debate. Perhaps companies simply cannot or will not commit to the necessary business/marketing/research steps required for true statement products. Sony's cancellation of the Qualia product line is one example of this. If a true statement successor to the HE90 were released today how much would it cost? How many people would feel it truly would surpass the HE90? These are nebulous questions but one fact remains clear to me: I wish I would have purchased the HE90 from Jan when I had the opportunity, and if I really had the dough I would own:

K1000
GS-1000
HP-1000
PS-1 Pro
HE90
MDR-R10
Qualia (small)
SR-007

Really the HE90 would be enough to satiate me but the R10 and K1000 would be nice alternates. The others would be fun extras. Here’s hoping for statement replacements $500 price points!
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
...if I really had the dough I would own:

K1000
GS-1000
HP-1000
PS-1 Pro
HE90
MDR-R10
Qualia (small)
SR-007

I really like your list, and would second the emotion!
orphsmile.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #34 of 40
tmarshl said:
NeilPeart said:

K1000
GS-1000
HP-1000
PS-1 Pro
HE90
MDR-R10
Qualia (small)
SR-007
Quote:

I really like your list, and would second the emotion!
orphsmile.gif

I could fill that list if the price was right
evil_smiley.gif

I could put it towards my Ford Gt Fund(Only short about $169,000)
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #35 of 40
bozebuttons said:
tmarshl said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart

K1000
GS-1000
HP-1000
PS-1 Pro
HE90
MDR-R10
Qualia (small)
SR-007

I could fill that list if the price was right
evil_smiley.gif

I could put it towards my out a Ford Gt Fund(Only short about $169,000)
tongue.gif

Tom ... how 'bout a '99 Taurus SHO for all those ratty cans?
evil_smiley.gif

I'll even deliver it up to L.I. for you.

PM me for address to send cans to.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #36 of 40
agile_one said:
bozebuttons said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl
Tom ... how 'bout a '99 Taurus SHO for all those ratty cans?
evil_smiley.gif

I'll even deliver it up to L.I. for you.

PM me for address to send cans to.

Gene,
Only if its White & has Blue Racing Stripes
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #37 of 40
Strad, del Gesu, Vuillaume, Guadagnini, Amati, HE90, ES-1, K1000....

Oh that's just all to much!

Thanks for your impressions. I'm sure you had great fun.

Thanks also for suggesting that particular "timbre test". How good is the recording? Would it be classified as an "audiophile" record, capturing all the nuances and unique, woody tone of a violin? If so, then I'll go get that record ASAP.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Thanks also for suggesting that particular "timbre test". How good is the recording? Would it be classified as an "audiophile" record, capturing all the nuances and unique, woody tone of a violin? If so, then I'll go get that record ASAP.

That's a bit of a myth in terms of being able to indentify different tonalities of instruments. Mono crackly hissy recordings from the 30's and 40's can still convey a pretty convincing idea of the unique sound of the performer in question. The only difference is that you won't be complimenting your 'sytem' on how amazing it is when listening to them!

Aug 28, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Strad, del Gesu, Vuillaume, Guadagnini, Amati, HE90, ES-1, K1000....

Oh that's just all to much!

Thanks for your impressions. I'm sure you had great fun.

Yes, Tacet is a renown audiophile label.
They did not gather so many great violins just to make a mediocre recording.
The important thing is the same piece is played on each instrument by the same violinist.

Aug 28, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
That's a bit of a myth in terms of being able to indentify different tonalities of instruments. Mono crackly hissy recordings from the 30's and 40's can still convey a pretty convincing idea of the unique sound of the performer in question. The only difference is that you won't be complimenting your 'sytem' on how amazing it is when listening to them!

You are right about mono recordings being able to convey the playing style of performers. However, mono recordings are pretty terrible at capturing the timbre of the instrument itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back