MHDT Labs Stockholm 2 : A Review
Jul 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #16 of 24
  After reading the Audio 360 review I was seriously considering placing an order for the Stockholm. Then I read the PF review. Everything I read reinforced my desire to hit the ''add to cart'' button until I reached this part which I kind of saw coming:

Maybe I'm nitpicking or over-reacting to this comment but I remember selling my MHDT Paradisea based on similar shortcomings. I bought into Naim because of the PRaT thing and I've turned down a few DACs because they dulled it too much.
confused_face(1).gif
Strangely I'm still considering the Stockholm. 

I found if I mixed and matched my amps on hand the results could be quite good. With my ALO RX MKIII-B my headphones sounded quite mellow but when I added the Schiit Vali to the mix PRAT was not bad at all. I don't know, different strokes for different folks I guess. Thanks for your kind words involving the review my friend.
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 24
  After reading the Audio 360 review I was seriously considering placing an order for the Stockholm. Then I read the PF review. Everything I read reinforced my desire to hit the ''add to cart'' button until I reached this part which I kind of saw coming:

Maybe I'm nitpicking or over-reacting to this comment but I remember selling my MHDT Paradisea based on similar shortcomings. I bought into Naim because of the PRaT thing and I've turned down a few DACs because they dulled it too much.
confused_face(1).gif
Strangely I'm still considering the Stockholm. 

Both the Havana and the Stockholm v2 share the same NOS ease and musicality ...

However, the Stockholm v2 is a noticeably more detailed, resolving circuit than is the Havana ... 

And compared to the Paradisea+ (which I had for a number of years and enjoyed), the Stockholm v2 is night and day in regards to resolution and detail retrieval ... 

But no doubt about it, they are all NOS DACs and share that architectural quality of musical ease and a analogue-like nature ...

Best,
Joel

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 24
  I'm close to pulling the trigger on this dac; Stockholm V2. I want to say thanks for this review. I wonder if for the money this is as good as it gets...(Not a question anyone can answer but me I would think.)

Again thanks for the review. I have some thinking to do.

Glad you l iked the review.

And as far as your question about "for the money?" ... For me, yeah ... so far, this is it. But it really all depends on what you want to hear with your digital to analogue solution ... there are some pretty dramatic differences between these classic R2R/NOS designs (like the Stockholm V2) and some of the newer DAC architectures (oversampling/upsampling and what have you) ... 

Myself? I enjoy the musicality and natural delivery of the NOS designs and so the Stockholm (and really everything MHDT Labs have made in the NOS department) are really pleasing to me ... so give it a shot, ... I can't imagine you'd hate it ...

Personally, I love it. 

Oh yeah .. bTW, you might be interested (just a stupid stupid deal on a used Stockholm V2): http://www.head-fi.org/t/729781/mhdt-labs-stockholm-v2-for-sale-final-price-drop#post_10779048

Best

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #20 of 24
  That is a stupid good deal. I like the idea that if I buy it new I can return it within 14 days if I decide its not what I was expecting. But that is a great deal so I contacted him to see if we can work something out.

As for the dac itself, well I want NOS. And I love tube sound and rolling and I have a feeling I will really like this DAC. But since I cannot demo it I would have to take a chance.

There are so many dacs out there that I've been totally over thinking this and in the end I want something that sounds great but is unique as well. This is not a DAC I will see everywhere which appeals to me. Reviews for their products have been great and everything I've read makes me think this is the dac for me.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #21 of 24
Man ... I've been listening to a lot of slow time jazz lately ... sax, guitar, bass ... and thought I'd add that this sort of music is pretty much *ambrosia* when listened too via the Stockholm v2 and with the right amplifier and headphones downstream from it.

Shoosh!!!!  

So sexy ...

Anyway ... as a shameless plug ... here's the track that just got me all hot and bothered ... listening via the stock configuration of the Stockholm v2 feeding a Stax SRM-323S and on to a pair of Stax SR-404LE's ... 

This sh1t3 is just *so* smooth, detailed and sexy with the Stockholm v2 ... (listen for the near "crystalline" fret board slide in your left ear and the overall ridiculous texture of the sax reed) ... ugh!! disgusting ...

(this abbreviated clip is hosted on my own personal domain, BTW)

(if you care to investigate the CD/record that it is pulled from, then see the bottom of this post where I will show full album information).

(meanwhile, enjoy this little MP3 320kbs snippet; tried to share as .flac but my server is having MIME type problems... anyway, this is just as good .. unless your a dog ... :wink: ... )

LISTEN!!!:   Sexy Ass Hamilton and Friends

That little bit is from the very excellent and very affordable Scott Hamilton, CD:

$10 bucks (mas o minos) @ Amazon ... 

I am only the messenger.

[end]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back