MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #886 of 897
I've tried a few from that first-class list of tubes in my Orchid but I ended up going to the 6922 family with an adapter. Been using a Phillips SQ E88CC/6922 for several months. It sticks out quite a bit from the casing but the sound to me is the best I've had from my Orchid. Unfortunately did not try the JJ you are looking at. Good luck.

I use an EH 6922 sometimes, but I think the 6386LGP is better. It’s more clean and detailed. I was curious if anyone else had a similar experience. Maybe you should try it sometime if you can?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #887 of 897
I use an EH 6922 sometimes, but I think the 6386LGP is better. It’s more clean and detailed. I was curious if anyone else had a similar experience. Maybe you should try it sometime if you can?
I've never been much in love with EH sound. The 6386 LGP is intriguing, it is expensive but a little cheaper than my current Phillips SQ E88CC/6922. I bought the Phillips based on reviews I read on the Tube Store and others. The SQ label is supposed to refer to Sound Quality. Not saying it's the end all tube for MHDT DACs but it is certainly one of the really top ones, it's probably not on the list of MHDT because it's a 6922 pin out that needs an adapter to work.

I'll let you know if I decide to pull the trigger on a 6386 LGP. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #888 of 897
A few years ago I succumbed to tube-rolling fever (again) and picked up an expensive pair of 7308s for my Woo WA3, which is notoriously picky regarding tubes. Can't find the receipt or I'd say what brand/mfr date they were. Anyway, the WA3 didn't like them.

Then I read how the Orchid supposedly scales to sonic Mt. Olympus with a 6992/6DJ8 buffer tube with adapter. So I got the adapter and tried the 7308. It sounded no better than the very good NOS WE396jw tube that preceded it.

Curses!

Then I read good things about a NOS Mullard CV5331 tube (in the 6922 family); I bought one, put it on the adapter & tried it in the Orchid. Sonic Mt. Olympus!! That CV5331 is never coming out of the Orchid, unless it needs to replacement w/ another CV5331.

Tube rolling a simple buffer tube was way more eventful than it should have been (stock tube to WE396jw to 7308 to CV5331), but I hit the jackpot the 4th time out.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #889 of 897
I've never been much in love with EH sound. The 6386 LGP is intriguing, it is expensive but a little cheaper than my current Phillips SQ E88CC/6922. I bought the Phillips based on reviews I read on the Tube Store and others. The SQ label is supposed to refer to Sound Quality. Not saying it's the end all tube for MHDT DACs but it is certainly one of the really top ones, it's probably not on the list of MHDT because it's a 6922 pin out that needs an adapter to work.

I'll let you know if I decide to pull the trigger on a 6386 LGP. :beerchug:

I’ve heard Philips / Amperex 6922’s are great. As NOS they seem pricey, a little more so than the new 6386 LGP. I’ve only had the chance to try new 6922 tubes with the adaptor. I have tried Genalex Gold Lion, JJ gold pin, and EH. Of the three I like the tipped up treble of the EH, and liked the Genalex the least, since it sounds warm and a bit muddled.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #890 of 897
I ordered a Philips ECG JAN 6922 to try with my Garage1217 adaptor.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #891 of 897
I ordered a Philips ECG JAN 6922 to try with my Garage1217 adaptor.

I am trying it now. It's a bright, zippy tube. It seems cleaner than the EH 6922. I'm lacking a bit of the body and warmth of the 6386LGP I had in the Havana before, maybe this is my second favorite though.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #892 of 897
I am trying it now. It's a bright, zippy tube***. It seems cleaner than the EH 6922. I'm lacking a bit of the body and warmth of the 6386LGP I had in the Havana before, maybe this is my second favorite though.
*** the most charitable description of a Philips ECG JAN 6922 (or of any ECG) that I have encountered ...

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #893 of 897
*** the most charitable description of a Philips ECG JAN 6922 (or of any ECG) that I have encountered ...
I've never tried this particular tube so really can't comment.

However, the very last thing I want (in any tube-containing component) is a "bright zippy tube." I turn to tubes for their dimensional characteristics + slight warmth + more tangible note body. Not really interested in bright or its opposite, dull & closed in.

PS: Not sure why, but I never got anywhere with a 6922+adapter on my Orchid. It didn't better that best WE396jw tube (which is very good). Only when I jumped to a 12AT7 tube (Mullard CV5331, 1964) + adapter did the bigger sonic gain occur.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #894 of 897
I've never tried this particular tube so really can't comment.

However, the very last thing I want (in any tube-containing component) is a "bright zippy tube." I turn to tubes for their dimensional characteristics + slight warmth + more tangible note body. Not really interested in bright or its opposite, dull & closed in.

PS: Not sure why, but I never got anywhere with a 6922+adapter on my Orchid. It didn't better that best WE396jw tube (which is very good). Only when I jumped to a 12AT7 tube (Mullard CV5331, 1964) + adapter did the bigger sonic gain occur.

I'm using the Philips ECG JAN now in my Havana. I'm gravitating towards using this tube all the time because it livens things up. With my setup I need my Havana to sound brighter, more along the lines of a typical DAC. The sound still has warmth and body, imo.

Also I put the AD 1856 DAC chips back in which also made it brighter and more to my liking.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #895 of 897
I'm curious how the Orchid compares with the Rega DAC or DAC-R, if anyone knows. The Regas have a well-deserved reputation for a warm sound, as does the Orchid, but if anyone knows how they are similar/different, I'd love to know. Thanks.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #897 of 897
I have the Orchid DAC. It is nice soundin but ASR people say no good because doesn’t measure well. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You are in an existential quandary. Which should you believe:
  • Your own ears?
  • Or ASR measurements?
(I know which I believe)

If you know your own sonic preferences and the Orchid or any other DAC satisfies your preferences, then the sound is good, no matter what the measurements say.

As Duke Ellington said, "If it sounds good, it is good."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back