MHDT Havana DAC
Feb 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,771 of 2,680
Agree with everything you pointed out.  The DAC sounds very fluid and smooth, the highs have no harshness or "fuzziness".  The diodes were somewhat of a challenge, as you say, physically much larger and different that the stock diodes.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,772 of 2,680
Sorry fathead but you have nothing I need.

I'm still looking for what caps I'm going to buy for my next change but before can you tell me how much important is the change of the seven 0.1uf caps ?

I hesitate between several ones like Jupiter HT beeswax and Amp Hom Copper paper in oil (more neutral) and as Jupiters are quite earthy I'm planning to mix them with the Amp hom (because my hifi system is not particularly airy currently). But I wonder if the impact on sound of this change is significant enough to mix 0.1uf caps together. Do you think it's a good idea to mix them or is it better to enforce the complete specifities of one cap model (in case of the change is not that important on the sound) ?

Same question said differently : if I put only 3 jupiter caps (0.1uf), do you think I will hear them or I need to put the seven ones for that.

P.S : I guess most of you know Jon L. caps review but it can be very useful for the others. He gives his opinion on many different caps after having tested them : http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0411/capacitor2.htm

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,773 of 2,680
Quote:

I suggest you to listen to the music with and without the cap and then decide. Especially C5 is important. You can leave C25 on its place - do not touch it.

I have another configuration of caps (mostly BG - they are dark, removing c5 gave me more air and better treble that BGs dimmed).
You may prefer C5 on its place.

When you feel the sound is too dark after installing the R-Core, don't hesitate and remove C5.

I agree, this is a very significant change but depends on your system and configuration. With my usual amp it was not good at all because this one is alreay very opened and quite clear. With the amp I'm testing this weekend removing the c5 cap is a must as the amp is duller and earthier.

I'll put a Clarity cap MR here to see what it makes because they're hugely opened (they may be a bit too big to fit I'll see). I guess the best is no cap at all but if they are there for security reasons I prefer to take no risks.

By the way unfortunately Amp hom caps are definitively too long to fit into the Havana. That's the ones I mainly wanted too bad :/.... So I decided to replace them with Clarity caps MR and mix them with Jupiter HT Beeswax to test. I wanted to test some more but they don't have them at Hificollective.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #1,774 of 2,680
Yes I'll buy 7 0.1uf jupiter caps and 3 Clarity MR and then test different configurations. Regarding values 1000vdc is it too much to replace 0.1uf 250v film caps ? I saw the Duelund Alexander caps are not that expensive at hificollective and well rated on forums so it could be another option to Clarity cap.

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #1,775 of 2,680
Thanks everyone for a great thread.
Got some more parts today. Installed the MCaps, Clarity and changed c6 fron 47uf to 100uf for added bass.
I did this with the more afordable caps and so far with only half an hour listening I'm impressed. Hopefully will only get better.
I think I'm finished for now though.
Pic under hood.

I also got a MCap for the 0.22uf and might try that after a while instead of the clarity cap.(It is quite large though) But right now it is sounding great.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #1,776 of 2,680
Thanks fathead.
I have some dac chips coming from a mate. Also some other tubes to try.
I was unsure which Schottky Diodes to get so left them for now. Might lsten for a few hundred hours and then look at them again.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,777 of 2,680
mako44 it looks like higher voltage is fine. Its just that they are normally larger and harder to fit in the same place sometimes.
http://www.niccomp.com/help/capsubguide.asp
Voltage Ratings (VDC or VAC) :
sublogo.gif
Substitution Rule: A component with a higher voltage rating may be used in place of, or as a substitute for, a lower voltage rated component
i.e… 1000V rated part can replace 500V, 250V or 100V rated part
i.e… 500V rated part can replace 250V , 100V or 50V rated part
i.e… 250V rated part can replace 100V, 50V or 25V rated part

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,779 of 2,680
I completely agree with Fathead I really encourage you to install Schottky diodes they're really great and just add good things without unbalancing the dac. Your first link is ok according to me but nobody tried this brand I think (we both bought Cree). There's no values on your second link so I can't say.

If you want to be sure I bought this ones on mouser (and you can also buy K chips there) : http://fr.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=C3D02060Fvirtualkey57280000virtualkey941-C3D02060F

Thanks for the info about voltage but in fact I don't know what to do now... With the amp I had this weekend - and I ordered - the dac sounded perfect (well it can always be better) in the sense it was very well balanced, natural sounding, refined and so on. May be just very slightly too clear so I really hesitate to change something else. I'm afraid the sound will be too clear if I add Jupiter or Clarity film caps now. I didn't put Silver mica neither.

I guess it would be better with Jupiter caps for example instead of stock caps in the absolute but I risk to loose the balance. I'm a bit confused on what to do.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,780 of 2,680

Quote:
Thanks for the info about voltage but in fact I don't know what to do now... With the amp I had this weekend - and I ordered - the dac sounded perfect (well it can always be better) in the sense it was very well balanced, natural sounding, refined and so on. May be just very slightly too clear so I really hesitate to change something else. I'm afraid the sound will be too clear if I add Jupiter or Clarity film caps now. I didn't put Silver mica neither.

I guess it would be better with Jupiter caps for example instead of stock caps in the absolute but I risk to loose the balance. I'm a bit confused on what to do.

@mako44,
Can you give me more details about how the sound evolved from the first day, after changing the output capacitors?  After several reflections, I think I will change V-Cap OIMP with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil caps.
smile.gif

Increasingly beginning to understand what he said earlier Robert, comparing the two capacitors. I'm sure that Mundorf gives a touch of pleasant listening tone, superior texture and a more musical sound. Amp Ohm (polyester in oil aluminium foil) caps are too long and don't fit inside, Jupiter HT BeesWax (2,2uF) no longer found in stock and Duelund VSF Cooper are too expensive. I think, Mundorf are the right choice.
Thank's!

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,781 of 2,680
Hi Ioserica, you didn't received my pm ? Here's what I wrote with some more details :

I bought these ones : http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/supsgo090-22uf-1000v-supreme-silvergoldoil-p-3967.html

I'm extremely happy with them, they mainly improved dynamics and opening. They're clear, with lot of details, very large soundstage and very nice highs. I would say sparkling highs, but can even be very slightly bright according to me depending on the rest of your system. In fact I heard a big overall improvement (separation of instruments, depth...). Timbers sound good to my ears. Good textures as well according to me : doesn't sound thin at all (but not too thick neither).

You won't regret as they're really great but I don't know how much better they are vs v-caps and I didn't have the opportunity to compare them to any other.

To fit them I cuted the wires of original caps and soldered them to Mundorf wires but nothing more special. As they're a big large one of the caps will be higher than the other but it's not a problem. They're not difficult to install. You can see photos of Robert's dac with these caps around the page 96 or so of this thread.

I didn't compare to other caps but it's sure they're really good.

On this page you can read reviews of Jon L. about Mundorf SG and SO (I guess SGO are a kind of mix of both, sort of smooth Silver/gold) : http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor2.htm . Don't hesitate to ask if you want more precisions :)

PS : my 0.22uf cap is also Mundorf SGO.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,782 of 2,680

Quote:
Hi Ioserica, you didn't received my pm ? Here's what I wrote with some more details :
I bought these ones : http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/supsgo090-22uf-1000v-supreme-silvergoldoil-p-3967.html
I'm extremely happy with them, they mainly improved dynamics and opening. They're clear, with lot of details, very large soundstage and very nice highs. I would say sparkling highs, but can even be very slightly bright according to me depending on the rest of your system. In fact I heard a big overall improvement (separation of instruments, depth...). Timbers sound good to my ears. Good textures as well according to me : doesn't sound thin at all (but not too thick neither).
You won't regret as they're really great but I don't know how much better they are vs v-caps and I didn't have the opportunity to compare them to any other.
To fit them I cuted the wires of original caps and soldered them to Mundorf wires but nothing more special. As they're a big large one of the caps will be higher than the other but it's not a problem. They're not difficult to install. You can see photos of Robert's dac with these caps around the page 96 or so of this thread.
I didn't compare to other caps but it's sure they're really good.
On this page you can read reviews of Jon L. about Mundorf SG and SO (I guess SGO are a kind of mix of both, sort of smooth Silver/gold) : http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor2.htm . Don't hesitate to ask if you want more precisions :)
PS : my 0.22uf cap is also Mundorf SGO.

Thank You, the effort to write. V-Cap OIMP are wholly decent capacitors but I think its worth it to change with Mundorf. It seems that Mundorf Supreme is the cream on the cake..
These days I felt a real difference to the sound, very nice: an extension to the entire frequency spectrum, a better position depth of instruments (audio-layering), higher decay and obviously, a more refined texture of sound! The voice, the instruments have body and better stage presence than before. On the electrostatic headphone system, the transparent sound (life-like feeling) and details are outstanding!! I think this is due primarily running-capacitors and probably Shinkoh resistances have evolved inside the dac.
smile.gif
However, they do a very good game with Schottky diodes.

The R-Core transformer is on the way..

PS: To give Havana a "high-end touch", after you finish with all the changes inside, I recommend you change the stock RCA connectors with WBT Ag (Ms Metal nut) pure silver and DH Labs silver hook up wire. Is also important the change of stock input SP/Dif with BNC conector, to get a slightly better impedance. The source and transport are again, very important!! I am extremely pleased of the work done AR-T Legato and iMac Apple with audio player that runs on Macintosh.
Legato contribute decisively to articulate the bass, down to extremely low; low frequencies are so well controlled quantitatively and qualitatively, played convincingly. The sound is very relaxed with Legato and has a similar play analog sources, beautiful and natural. But probably the decisive question of a transport capable of extremely low values ​​of jitter is something that bears audition to another level of quality: is the natural expression and the unmistakable perception of audio-layering! Without doubt, Legato is capable of playing audio layerin's such a level.

I wish you pleasant listening!

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,783 of 2,680

This connector change is the one mod I have not done.  Can you describe the sonic improvement and compare to the other mods benefits?

Quote:
Thank You, the effort to write. V-Cap OIMP are wholly decent capacitors but I think its worth it to change with Mundorf. It seems that Mundorf Supreme is the cream on the cake..
These days I felt a real difference to the sound, very nice: an extension to the entire frequency spectrum, a better position depth of instruments (audio-layering), higher decay and obviously, a more refined texture of sound! The voice, the instruments have body and better stage presence than before. On the electrostatic headphone system, the transparent sound (life-like feeling) and details are outstanding!! I think this is due primarily running-capacitors and probably Shinkoh resistances have evolved inside the dac.
smile.gif
However, they do a very good game with Schottky diodes.

The R-Core transformer is on the way..

PS: To give Havana a "high-end touch", after you finish with all the changes inside, I recommend you change the stock RCA connectors with WBT Ag (Ms Metal nut) pure silver and DH Labs silver hook up wire. Is also important the change of stock input SP/Dif with BNC conector, to get a slightly better impedance. The source and transport are again, very important!! I am extremely pleased of the work done AR-T Legato and iMac Apple with audio player that runs on Macintosh.
Legato contribute decisively to articulate the bass, down to extremely low; low frequencies are so well controlled quantitatively and qualitatively, played convincingly. The sound is very relaxed with Legato and has a similar play analog sources, beautiful and natural. But probably the decisive question of a transport capable of extremely low values ​​of jitter is something that bears audition to another level of quality: is the natural expression and the unmistakable perception of audio-layering! Without doubt, Legato is capable of playing audio layerin's such a level.

I wish you pleasant listening!

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,784 of 2,680

Quote:
This connector change is the one mod I have not done.  Can you describe the sonic improvement and compare to the other mods benefits?

WBT (model mentioned) rate the best consistency in sound, additional clarity in sound, and it is logical to be so, because change and the wire one of pure silver! On the electrostatic system, on the first audition I noticed a good change at sound. Is related to homogeneous perception of sound (left right the channel). Before, with stock connectors, Havana sent a sound I must say, somewhat weak in this sense.  Its give a greater transparency in the sound. In a word, sound expression become more coherent, more transparent with WBT conectors, it's something that changing the dynamic, also.
On the other hand, bnc connector depends on the implementation of transport and I think change is felt more strongly with RCA connectors). From my point of view this is an amendment to a similar impact as the chips (with K -grade), the electrolytic caps, etc...and deserve, while not exactly cheap. However, considering that I already upgrade many components is rather important to put quality connectors out of..

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #1,785 of 2,680

Quote:

@fathead,
They are Gold plate over copper - Cu (MS metal nut),

Mine are "Pure silver" Ag (Ms Metal nut): I think the best impact in terms of opening sound! Havana needs superior transparent sound, a better resolution, and therefore are recommended the silver. There are of course two times more expensive, but I think it's worth the effort!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back