MG-Head OTL noise question?
Aug 24, 2004 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GlowWorm

Headphoneus Supremus
Whenever I turn the volume knob up or down on the MG-Head OTL it makes this annoying static noise, however it stops when the volume is set. It's been this way from day one, and I assume it came that way from the factory. Does any one know what may be causing this, and is there anything I can do to correct it? Thanks in advance.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 9
scratchy pot. tubes are also a factor, although every tube I've tried does this to some extent. Amp "warmth" is another variable.

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 9
Do you have an alternative to the Sylvania 5751 to try? My MG Head was dead quiet but with certain 5751’s there was a static like noise when adjusting the volume pot. And it was only with the Sylvania 5751’s.

Mitch

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 9
A cheap pot can do that. Try cleaning it with something like CaiLube MCL. That has gotten the noise out of most of the scratchy pots I've run into.

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't remember hearing noise on my OTL 32? Anyways, as long as it does not produce noise when the volume pod is left alone, it is not considered too bad (of course we would like them to be quiet while being adjusted as well). If it really bother you, then you can send it for warranty repair or replace it with a better pod (noble or alps blue).

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Do you have an alternative to the Sylvania 5751 to try? My MG Head was dead quiet but with certain 5751’s there was a static like noise when adjusting the volume pot. And it was only with the Sylvania 5751’s.

Mitch

Yes, I have a matched pair, but it doesn't matter what tubes I use, the noise is still the same.

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
A cheap pot can do that. Try cleaning it with something like CaiLube MCL. That has gotten the noise out of most of the scratchy pots I've run into.

Thanks Hirsch, I'll try that... If memory serves, I remember an old post (couldn't find it though) stating that the scratchy volume pot noise can be caused by the wires not being shielded properly. Supposedly if you twist the wires around, and insulate them with aluminum foil it will eliminate the noise. Does anybody know anything about this method?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back