MG Head OTL-H works better than fine.
May 12, 2003 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe it's just my funky voodoo but I have no idea what the hell Orpheus was talking about when he was warning me about buying his amp. I set up my pioneer pd-907 cd player in my room and piggybacked in an output from my sonica theatre coming from my desktop. It didn't take me long after starting it up with stock tubes to put in the GE 5751 3 mica black for the stock JJ center and keeping the random chinese EL84s it's all good. With my hd600 clou reds and the cd player, it doesn't start to clip until about 11 o'clock while as I write this I'm rocking out to Battle of Los Angeles at about 9 and a half o'clock. It's plenty loud for me anyways.

And there's absolutely no hum to speak off after like 10 minutes of warm up. (haven't actually timed it yet) But get this, my sonica is so weak that I actually do listen to this amp cranked all the way to max sometimes out of my computer. No hum, no clip, nothing but lush and accurate. Weird huh? I wonder why it has such a hard time amplifying the signal that comes out of my sonica when my meta42 does it fine. Or I can listen to the sonica unamped as long as I'm not trying to wake myself up or something. I was actually wondering if that could hurt the amp having it set to max volume for an extended period of time. If you know, feel free to enlighten me.

Anyways, I gotta get back to studying.

(btw thanks orpheus)

May 12, 2003 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 23
Actually I just remembered, I'm enjoying it way too much now but it did have those hum, high volume clipping problems until about maybe 10 hours of burn in at my hands. That and it's set up on my floor between my couch and the corner desk so it's not sitting on or next to any other big interference causers. (you'd have to see my room I guess. it's in no danger and everyone can see the pretty glow so don't worry)
cool.gif

May 12, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 23
FYI, check your audio applications to make sure that their audio sliders are set to maximum volume. You shouldn't need to turn the MG Head's volume all the way up with the Sonica (I have the same combo on my desk right now).

May 12, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 23
All the software volume settings were maxed, I think it's because I have too many USB devices draining power away.

edit: actually it's just a mouse and printer going usb along with the sonica. is yours a regular? maybe cause mine is a theatre.

May 12, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 23
Just had one more revalation. I popped in gatecrasher wet and this amp does start to clip on the more complex synth and drum machine breaks. Oh well. Maybe it'll learn, maybe it won't. Just moved on to Brushfire Fairytales.
smily_headphones1.gif
Much better.

May 12, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 23
IIRC the 5751 is a lower gain tube than the 12AX7. This could be an issue, particularly if the tube in question is being used for voltage gain. You might want to see if the amp has any gain issues using a 12AX7. The 5751 isn't an exact drop-in replacement...it does have different performance specs. There are some very good new 12AX7's out right now. The Sovtek 12AX7LPS is surprisingly good, as is the EI Elite 12AX7EG. Note that other 12AX7 tubes by either of these manufacturers may not sound anywhere close to these particular tubes.

May 12, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 23
I think this thing is burning in more and more with every passing hour. As I type this I am listening to the most amazing thing, the Run Lola Run soundtrack through my Koss Pro4aats. Everything is there beautifully articulated and controlled but there's soundstage. Mad soundstage. It's weird. But in a good way.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
All the software volume settings were maxed, I think it's because I have too many USB devices draining power away.

edit: actually it's just a mouse and printer going usb along with the sonica. is yours a regular? maybe cause mine is a theatre.

Are you running multiple devices off the same USB? Get the Sonica on a dedicated port.

May 12, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 23
Mine's a regular Sonica, not the theatre, so it's possible that what you're experiencing is normal. 5751 tubes generally work great in the MG Head; the gain is only slightly less.

May 13, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 23
the amp is great isn't it? I'm also using a GE 5751 in the middle. On the sides, however, I'm using valvos. Quite a combo, if I may say so.

I'd be interested in hearing how you like it in comparison to your meta. . .

May 13, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 23
actually I want to a/b it against the wall dedicated meta i have coming to me. someone was supposed to have sent it out to me last week, but someone kept going to work instead.

tongue.gif

lucky i'm enjoying this thing so much. so no worries. i understand responsibility gets in the way of life sometiimes.

May 13, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 23
Oh yeah, that gatecrasher wet problem is gone. ok computer i just listened to as well which was unbearable listening to when i just got the amp out of the box. sounds beautiful now. let's hope it keeps getting better.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 23
! glad you liked it man! welp, then i guess it all worked out--i got my money, and you got audio nirvana. as you can see, the amp sounds REALLY good when it isn't clipping (just like the MG Head works great if you're lucky enough to get one without problems.) that GE tube should be badass too. i never used it... nor did i leave the amp turned on for more than 1/2 hour total. so.... your amp/tube still has plenty of growing to do.
wink.gif

....let me know if your film friends want to do the music video. or if they need music for their own stuff. you mentioned you had another friend doing music as well?

orpheus

May 13, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 23
Goose,

Welcome to the Head-H club.

Been using mine with the Ratheon 5751 and haven't looked back. Has plenty of volume for my application with the HD600s.

Congrats on the sucessful purchase. Also looking forward to your comparison to the Meta.

Bruce

May 21, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 23
Guys, a few questions:

1)I have an MG Head DT, (not OTL) -- do you folks think it's a good idea to upgrade from the MG Head DT to the OTL?

2)If so, where can you get these online? I had a hell of a time finding my Head DT in the first place.

3)Has anyone heard the OTL-32?

4)Where's the best place to get tubes like the Sylvania gold pins, Raytheon 5751's and Valvo 6BQ5's (not ebay..)?

I'm in the US, btw... Any help would be great....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back