MF V-DAC v. Benchmark DAC-1
Oct 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're saying there's not that big difference between V-Dac and Dac-1 ?? How is that possible... What does Dac-1 cost... like 1000$ ? and V-Dac 300$ !!!

You compare like they are at the same price-class.... If Dac-1 is just a little better, then either V-Dac is a VERY good Dac for the price, or Dac-1 sucks for its price...
tongue.gif

I agree. I haven't heard much talk that the V-Dac is the giant killer dac of the decade. I have a DacMagic and would find it hard to believe that the V-Dac sounds better. The DacMagic has a fully balanced dual mono design, and I haven't found any specs on the V-Dac that says that it does. Right away that gives the DacMagic and Benchmark the advantage on channel separation. I have heard that the benchmark can become fatiging , so maybe that's why people say that these two are close...

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 34
I can accept that the V-DAC is a very good DAC for its price, but that doesnt make the Benchmark a poor choice. I hope to hear the V-DAC in December, dont know if I'll have much luck ever auditionining the Benchmark, but simply because a new toy comes along and gets a couple of good reviews doesnt mean that sanity has to go out the window in a mad rush to the new FOTM, surely ?

In the review I read, there wasnt much between the DACMagic and the V-DAC, but the *reviewer* preferred the sound sig of the V-DAC : others here may well prefer the DACMagic. We probably need to bear in mind that the initial reviews of the DACMagic were often scorned by those with more expensive DACs - is it impossible that someone has repeated the formula minus some of the DACMagic spec sheet ?

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I haven't heard much talk that the V-Dac is the giant killer dac of the decade. I have a DacMagic and would find it hard to believe that the V-Dac sounds better. The DacMagic has a fully balanced dual mono design, and I haven't found any specs on the V-Dac that says that it does. Right away that gives the DacMagic and Benchmark the advantage on channel separation. I have heard that the benchmark can become fatiging , so maybe that's why people say that these two are close...

Why is it so hard to believe? Because you own the DacMagic and must defend your purchase?

I've read many times that people think the V-DAC is similar if not superior to the DacMagic.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #19 of 34
DAC1 original uses Texas Instruments NE5532 all the way.
DAC1 USB uses National Instrument LM4562 in the analog outputs only.
DAC1 PRE and HDR use 4562 all the way.
DAC1 HDR adds an Alps attenuator.

People usually compare their DACs against the original DAC1 or even DAC1 USB (which I own BTW).

But remember that, specially for headphones, DAC1 HDR uses top opamps (4562) and a top attenuator too (Alps). You can't ignore these upgrades to the regular 5532 + cheap chinese attenuator on my DAC1 USB and DAC1 original.

Nope, never heard the V-DAC.
Yes, I would love to hear it, as well as the Audio-Gd Ref1.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have tried other DACs in my system, and there are some things that everyone agrees:
- DAC1's DAC is extremely analytical and detailed in a cyrurgical way (which I love!)
- DAC1's headphome amp is bright and sounds OK (at least in DAC1 original and USB)

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #21 of 34
How much (how low, essentially) have you seen it going for, anadin? I'm having a hard time finding one here in North America. Maybe it's time to search on the other side of the pond?

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it so hard to believe? Because you own the DacMagic and must defend your purchase?

Yes
dt880smile.png

Well if the V-Dac sounds anything like the DL III that I just upgraded to, then I would say that it is clearly superior to the DacMagic. But you are right. I've recently had a few experiences that really made me realize how subjective all this stuff is. It's so hard to say what is "better" when personal tastes are so important in making that determination. Bottom line is: listen to the gear for yourself and make your own decisions...only use reviews and others' opinions as a way to point you in a certain direction.

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes
dt880smile.png

Well if the V-Dac sounds anything like the DL III that I just upgraded to, then I would say that it is clearly superior to the DacMagic. But you are right. I've recently had a few experiences that really made me realize how subjective all this stuff is. It's so hard to say what is "better" when personal tastes are so important in making that determination. Bottom line is: listen to the gear for yourself and make your own decisions...only use reviews and others' opinions as a way to point you in a certain direction.

trouble with that theory is
a lot , like me, cant audition locally.

i am looking for a replacement for my v-dac. but if whatever i get is , no better, then i will sell that on instead.

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much (how low, essentially) have you seen it going for, anadin? I'm having a hard time finding one here in North America. Maybe it's time to search on the other side of the pond?

seen them, used, on ebay for around £120 plus ship

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trouble with that theory is
a lot , like me, cant audition locally.

i am looking for a replacement for my v-dac. but if whatever i get is , no better, then i will sell that on instead.

I find online retailers that offer 30 day refund periods. I see you're from the UK, so I can't suggest any sites there, but I've personally used Audio Advisor here in the states. Music Direct is another one from the states that had a 30 day refund period. I'm at the point now where I'm very hesitant to buy anything new that doesn't offer a trial period...

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

seen them, used, on ebay for around £120 plus ship

Thanks! I'll keep checking ebay.co.uk.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I'll keep checking ebay.co.uk.

as soon as i find a replacement, i will be selling mine!

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #29 of 34
Hi oldson

I have a question regarding the Mascot PSU you use with your V-DAC. I also have a V-DAC and I posted on the "Musical Fidelity V-DAC owners?" thread a few days ago, but had no replies:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/mus...1/index45.html

I bought a Maplin PSU but it exhibits a high frequency buzz over my speakers, apart from that I think it sounds a bit better than the stock PSU. I would like to eliminate the buzz, I believe it is because the Maplin PSU is a switched mode PSU. Is the Mascot PSU switched mode or linear? In the specification it is described as linear, but I am sceptical. Would I here buzzing with this PSU on my setup?

Why are you considering selling your V-DAC, are you not happy with it? Or just want to try something new?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

as soon as i find a replacement, i will be selling mine!

Consider me interested, oldson. Feel free to PM me if you choose to part ways with your V-DAC. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back