Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 14, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #12,991 of 13,028
Does the Empyreans have a lot of sound leakage? They would be used in my home office beside the wifes office room. I am wondering will she be disturbed? 🤔
They are open back so yes they will leak sound. On the other hand if she makes a lot on noise you may hear that too.

Should be OK if she's in a different room though I would have thought.

Maybe get some closed backs for her and she wont hear a thing. 🙂

May 14, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #12,992 of 13,028
Does the Empyreans have a lot of sound leakage? They would be used in my home office beside the wifes office room. I am wondering will she be disturbed? 🤔
Well, they are open headphones, so they leak. Disturbance depends on your listening volume and distance from your wife's room.

May 14, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #12,994 of 13,028
What's your EQ profile for these? I just got a pair, and I'm impressed right out of the box, but I'm curious to try some EQing, as well.
Hey there. This is my current favorite with leather pads:

Low shelf at 250 hz, q=0.86, -2.2 db
Peak 60 hz, q=1.38, 1.65 db
Low shelf 50 hz, q=1, 0.45 db
Peak 90 hz, q=1.62, 0.3 db

What this does is reduces the upper bass and provides more separation for the voices and mids, while retaining the slam at the bass frequencies through those peaks. I find the mids and treble timbre on stock are excellent just needs some upper bass reduction for mid contrast.

On some voice tracks with airy female vocals or certain poorly recorded tracks I pick up a sharp treble spike that is unpleasant and incoherent. Rarely happens but it’s there on certain voice tracks. I haven’t been able to resolve it but currently I’ve played with:

High shelf 12750 hz, q=0.82, -1.8 db

I’ve gone as far as 11 hz high shelf and - 4 db to suppress it (which worked), but it has effects on the timbre and sound stage. I’ve noticed it’s less prominent with the Alcantra pads. This is a work in progress, perhaps a weakness in the Empyrean I have to live with. Right now I have this filter turned off.

Despite that the sound is addictive and engaging, like hearing an event.

Just bought the hybrid pads and will see how they sound .

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #12,995 of 13,028
You may want to add The Meze Liric 2 to your collection. It will keep her and your ears very happy 😊

May 15, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #12,997 of 13,028
Well, I have the OG Liric already, and perfectly happy with them. ☺️👌

The thing is that I might have sell them, in order to calm down my wife when the Empys arrive. 🫣
Damn…I just told my wife about the upcoming Empys and as expected she went totally babanas with nuts on top of them. 😩🥜🍌

The only thing that I could calm her down, was to promise to sell the Lirics and her car on top of them. 😭😔😵‍💫

May 15, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #12,998 of 13,028
Damn…I just told my wife about the upcoming Empys and as expected she went totally babanas with nuts on top of them. 😩🥜🍌

The only thing that I could calm her down, was to promise to sell the Lirics and her car on top of them. 😭😔😵‍💫
Maybe I should sell my wife and find one that really enjoys and goes wild (in a good way) every time new headphones arrives to our household…🤔

May 15, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #12,999 of 13,028
Maybe I should sell my wife and find one that really enjoys and goes wild (in a good way) every time new headphones arrives to our household…🤔
They are a rare breed I think.

My wife prefers to buy lot's of plants.... At least it's not show obsession or anything more expensive than that. I need our family money for tubes.

May 16, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #13,000 of 13,028
They are a rare breed I think.

My wife prefers to buy lot's of plants.... At least it's not show obsession or anything more expensive than that. I need our family money for tubes.
Yes, it seems so. 😁

Hopefully you mean those lovely green stuff and not the big smoking buildings on account of you would have lost a lot's of tubes. 🫣😅🤸

May 16, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #13,001 of 13,028
Yes, it seems so. 😁

Hopefully you mean those lovely green stuff and not the big smoking buildings on account of you would have lost a lot's of tubes. 🫣😅🤸
Haha no. I have too many things to do for those pursuits nowadays 😃

May 17, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #13,003 of 13,028
I spent time yesterday testing the hybrid pads on OG empyrean vs the stock leather and alcantra.

The hybrids created more of a reference feeling to the music and brought out more detail and texture. In sounded amazing with classical music and in some voice tracks produced a nice distinct voice. But it was also more unforgiving at times. I noticed after some time I wasn’t enjoying the music or getting chills, although the detail was there. At one point I felt a little fatigue of listening.

Today I am back to leather with EQ and the chills return. The sense of being swept away emotionally is there, even though technically the performance is not as good. I stop trying to listen for detail and just enjoy the music, and it’s hard to stop listening.

Alcantras are really interesting too at times but I don’t like them as much as leather for some reason I can’t figure out.

I’m glad I bought the hybrid pads because I can swap and mix it up. But it has helped me understand the Empyrean is a flawed headphone that for some strange reason has the ability to touch my soul. I focus on not focusing on the flaws but instead just letting the conscious mind go and the music do the rest.

May 17, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #13,004 of 13,028
I spent time yesterday testing the hybrid pads on OG empyrean vs the stock leather and alcantra.

The hybrids created more of a reference feeling to the music and brought out more detail and texture. In sounded amazing with classical music and in some voice tracks produced a nice distinct voice. But it was also more unforgiving at times. I noticed after some time I wasn’t enjoying the music or getting chills, although the detail was there. At one point I felt a little fatigue of listening.

Today I am back to leather with EQ and the chills return. The sense of being swept away emotionally is there, even though technically the performance is not as good. I stop trying to listen for detail and just enjoy the music, and it’s hard to stop listening.

Alcantras are really interesting too at times but I don’t like them as much as leather for some reason I can’t figure out.

I’m glad I bought the hybrid pads because I can swap and mix it up. But it has helped me understand the Empyrean is a flawed headphone that for some strange reason has the ability to touch my soul. I focus on not focusing on the flaws but instead just letting the conscious mind go and the music do the rest.
Very interesting read. I am now convinced there is so much subtlety to the hobby and that our minds have the ability to respond to the slightest change in FR because of the empirical evidence we have such as yours. Thank you, A.L.

May 17, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #13,005 of 13,028
I need to start looking before sitting on chairs. Gutted. meze empyrean headband.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back