Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 20, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #13,021 of 13,028
Imo, the Elite has the best impact/ kick I've heard to date from an open back headphone.
It feels like it hits "behind your neck/ throat".

After my brief listening comparison between Elite and Caldera, I'd like to get a Caldera combined with the impact of the Elite . :ok_hand:

Was tested with Chord Mojo 2, Audio-GD R28 and the two combined.
It was a pleasure to have these 2 beau's with me for a couple days. :)

Music ranges from Amaranthe over Kamelot to UtA, mostly symphonic und power metal, but also a bit of Foy Vance, Agnes Obel to ZEDD. :ksc75smile:

In the end, it's up to audition yourself and decide. As usual. :wink:
Maybe we mean different things when we say 'impact', or perhaps you used suede earpads on the Caldera and leather on the Elites, but to me the Caldera is a lot more impactful headphone than the Elite. I am saying this as someone who loves both of these headphones and owned them for years.

May 20, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #13,022 of 13,028
Maybe we mean different things when we say 'impact', or perhaps you used suede earpads on the Caldera and leather on the Elites, but to me the Caldera is a lot more impactful headphone than the Elite. I am saying this as someone who loves both of these headphones and owned them for years.
I consider the Elite to have slightly stronger impact when using the Hybrid Pads.

(I actually don't know which pads have been on the Caldera for the comparison)

May 20, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #13,023 of 13,028
I consider the Elite to have slightly stronger impact when using the Hybrid Pads.

(I actually don't know which pads have been on the Caldera for the comparison)
Fair enough, we all hear differently. To me the Elite with all setups and earpads sounded a bit softer than the Caldera.

May 20, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #13,024 of 13,028
Different hearing, I guess. :)

Hybrid pads on the Elite, except there was a full leather pad at the time.
Can't stand suede pads on any of my headphones. :)
On the Caldera, there were the stock pads and the ultra perf for testing.

Oh, and I've to blame myself.
It wasn't the Mojo 2 in this setup, but the Mojo OG. :beerchug:

May 20, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #13,025 of 13,028
Different hearing, I guess. :)

Hybrid pads on the Elite, except there was a full leather pad at the time.
Can't stand suede pads on any of my headphones. :)
On the Caldera, there were the stock pads and the ultra perf for testing.

Oh, and I've to blame myself.
It wasn't the Mojo 2 in this setup, but the Mojo OG. :beerchug:
Could be hearing, could be different audio chains. It is interesting though, that both of you guys say you find the Elite more impactful, as I generally agree with your observations. In this case however I must differ; to me the Caldera in general is just 20% or even 30% more impactful than the Elite.
Maybe we should check what we mean by impact? To me it is an almost physical feeling caused by the leading attack of the notes. Good impact means a strong, very dynamic presentation, good speed and weight.

May 20, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #13,026 of 13,028
Could be hearing, could be different audio chains. It is interesting though, that both of you guys say you find the Elite more impactful, as I generally agree with your observations. In this case however I must differ; to me the Caldera in general is just 20% or even 30% more impactful than the Elite.
Maybe we should check what we mean by impact? To me it is an almost physical feeling caused by the leading attack of the notes. Good impact means a strong, very dynamic presentation, good speed and weight.
My Definition of impact would be the same

However Caldera has 6 different pads, maybe it has more impact with some and less with others?🤔

May 20, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #13,027 of 13,028
My Definition of impact would be the same

However Caldera has 6 different pads, maybe it has more impact with some and less with others?🤔
Pads definitely influence impact, but I would say not more than 10%-15%. Suede pads are the least impactful on the Caldera, but the rest is relatively similar in this regard.
Who knows, maybe on the same audio chain and same pads we would agree, or at least would perceive a smaller difference.

May 21, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #13,028 of 13,028
I have now been auditing the recently received Empys. :L3000:

One thing I have noticing is that especially on metal genre (which i usually listen) the bass dynamic is quite muddy and lacks on the punch like the Lirics do have. So far I've been listening with 6.3 mm copper upgrade cable and leather pads. And the iCan Pros bass adjustment knob surprisingly only increases the muddiness. :pig2:🫣

Is it possible to gain more of the bass punch and dynamics in some way? The Meze silver plated balanced xlr cables are coming. Will they fix this "problem"? Or should I direct my gaze right away to the Elites? 🤔
Thank you Tanalasta for the Meze silver plated upgrade cables! Kudos!

Great seller, very warm recommendation! 👌

I instantly noticed more air and cleariness compared other copper upgrade cables. Now I can add more dynamic bass, punch and body from iCan pro without muddiness. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back