Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Oct 8, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #1,291 of 1,512
So you repurchased the Liric? Now that you have lived with the Elite so long and (perhaps) didn’t jive with the Liric the last go ‘round, what are your thoughts of the Liric now and how does it compare with your experience with the Elite? I want to hear the Elite so bad, but there are no locations in my city that carry them for demo.
I was a fan of Liric 1st time around. It made me audition Empyrean and... the rest is history :wink: Liric and Elite is quite close, they share the same DNA.
I've been giving Liric most of the head time for the last few days and one thing stands out. The feeling that the surroundings of the music is non-existing. It is as if you have placed some big speakers in a dead room (all reflections are absorbed). Ether C Flow 1.1 (my all time favourite closed back) doesn't give me this feeling.

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #1,292 of 1,512
When I first bought the Liric I sent it back to the store saying that Meze got a friend but not an owner of the Liric... at that time.
I have gotten and sold both the Empyrean and 109 Pro since and still own the Elite. My idea of high-end music enjoyment really connects with what Meze is doing. Companies that forget about comfort won't be seeing my money any time soon.
With Elite as my go-to daily driver it was time to rejoin the Liric family and I'm glad I did!
Airelext

Well we've taken different routes but looks like we ended on similar paths
bought the Lirics after trying them, and enjoy them for my come home from a long day of work and just sit back and enjoy, don't do critical listening, over the ears
I was babysitting a friends Elite's, with the occasional listening session but didn't want open backs because it would disturb other family members and have a number of IEM's for critical listening time.
But now that the Elites went home when the friend returned from his expat assignment abroad, well I miss them and have now purchased a set of Elites.

I'm glad I have both, and there is time for them along with the IEM's and enjoying both headphones.
Like you glad I did this!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #1,293 of 1,512
I own the LIRICs for long sessions at the office and use the same pair on my walk commute to and from work. I bought a second pair for in-house use, but they are mainly used for TV. They feel wasted in the role, but it feels good to have a backup to my constant use pair—they feel like well-worn gloves at this point. I want to hear the Elites really bad.

I have a pair of Advar IEMs coming in from Romania for rainy day walk commutes and for a overseas trip and look forward to a different sound signature from the LIRICs, but I fear they may be too warmly tuned since I am so used to the LIRICs. My walks are along busy streets, which reduces the bass response on the LIRICs, so it may make the Advars perfect. Hopefully the Advars will give me a taste of what the Empyreans are tuned to.

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #1,294 of 1,512
I own the LIRICs for long sessions at the office and use the same pair on my walk commute to and from work. I bought a second pair for in-house use, but they are mainly used for TV. They feel wasted in the role, but it feels good to have a backup to my constant use pair—they feel like well-worn gloves at this point. I want to hear the Elites really bad.

I have a pair of Advar IEMs coming in from Romania for rainy day walk commutes and for a overseas trip and look forward to a different sound signature from the LIRICs, but I fear they may be too warmly tuned since I am so used to the LIRICs. My walks are along busy streets, which reduces the bass response on the LIRICs, so it may make the Advars perfect. Hopefully the Advars will give me a taste of what the Empyreans are tuned to.
The Empyrean's are my favorite tuned Meze headphone even after owning the Elite's. You should definitely give them a try if you can.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #1,295 of 1,512
Elites have noticeably less bass than Liric, even with the leather pads. I don't find them quite as fun or engaging, but they are more detailed, have larger stage and with alcantara pads they are ridiculously comfortable - one of the most comfortable headphones for sure. I like to use them for instrumental music when working and they are also good for gaming and watching movies. They remind a lot of HD 800.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,296 of 1,512
Elites have much better tuning imo. I had the Lirics for some months but found they didn’t work with some genres well (eg rock) - there was a nagging sibilance and something about the vocals came off as artificial and lacking emotion, which was odd because that could never be said of the other Mezes I’ve heard. The Lirics do stage very well for closed backs though, and aesthetics/build quality are ace.

Oct 17, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #1,297 of 1,512
Hi guys!
I'm testing Lirics for myself and I'm struggling with the sibilance. Are there any velour pads to try? Besides the sibilance it is a perfect match for me, so I'm ready to fight for them (how romantic).

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #1,298 of 1,512
Hi guys!
I'm testing Lirics for myself and I'm struggling with the sibilance. Are there any velour pads to try? Besides the sibilance it is a perfect match for me, so I'm ready to fight for them (how romantic).
hi there, what cable are you using with the Liric ?
I noticed some sibilance with silver/copper cable and I solved by adopting a 100% copper one.

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #1,299 of 1,512
hi there, what cable are you using with the Liric ?
I noticed some sibilance with silver/copper cable and I solved by adopting a 100% copper one.
I have the stock cable and the silver-plated balanced from Meze. Same thing with both.

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,300 of 1,512
That made the difference for me and I go 100% copper since then ...I am sorry it's not working for you

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #1,301 of 1,512
That made the difference for me and I go 100% copper since then ...I am sorry it's not working for you
I think the stock cable is copper, isn't it? The "soft TPE" cable from their website.

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #1,302 of 1,512
I think the stock cable is copper, isn't it? The "soft TPE" cable from their website.
I think so, but it is strange that the 2 cables are sounding similar, silver plated should be a bit brighter in my experience

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,303 of 1,512
I think so, but it is strange that the 2 cables are sounding similar, silver plated should be a bit brighter in my experience
I guess the peaking is so big that it doesn't matter that much. With either it's too much :frowning2:

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,305 of 1,512
I use my Lirics with the Shanling RU-7 on DSD64. Whatever is going on in the DAC, the DSD64 setting is smooth at the cost of some resolution. However, it takes the edge off the Lirics a bit for a more relaxing listen. I also have the Meze copper upgrade cable. I am middle-aged so my sensitivity to treble may be diminishing. EQ may be the only solution if you really want to smash down the treble vs. taking the sharp tops off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back