MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #5,536 of 5,646
For Elite 2 I would hope more speed in the element. This is a bit of a drawback of planar elements in general, rock, especially hard metal guitars sound a bit mashed with planars. Diana V2 was good with rock, but had other major flaws that made me sell it. After hearing CA-1a and SR-1b performance I knew that there is a possibility to do guitars with a solid performance. Still love my Elites :)
Have you had a chance to assess the "speed" of HiFiMan planars like the Arya or HE1000se? I've found them to be particularly incisive, whereby any dulling of transients may be related to the damping used in specific planar designs like the DCA Expanse, or simply the default tuning. In my original audition, the Meze Elite albeit with EQ came in second place for incisiveness and tactility. I had shown before how minimum-phase EQ toward linearity can technically alter/improve the impulse and phase response of a headphone.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #5,537 of 5,646
Have you had a chance to assess the "speed" of HiFiMan planars like the Arya or HE1000se? I've found them to be particularly incisive, whereby any dulling of transients may be related to the damping used in specific planar designs like the DCA Expanse, or simply the default tuning. In my original audition, the Meze Elite albeit with EQ came in second place for incisiveness and tactility. I had shown before how minimum-phase EQ toward linearity can technically alter/improve the impulse and phase response of a headphone.
I did try Aryas, but did not like them. It was one of those hp:s that I wanted to like because of the hype, but was disappointed. To me those were thin, hollow sounding with a treble peak that almost caused me pain. But I used A90 to drive those, so it could be the culprit. HE1000se would be interesting to hear at some point tough.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #5,538 of 5,646
I did try Aryas, but did not like them. It was one of those hp:s that I wanted to like because of the hype, but was disappointed. To me those were thin, hollow sounding with a treble peak that almost caused me pain. But I used A90 to drive those, so it could be the culprit. HE1000se would be interesting to hear at some point tough.

Arya still sound hollow and peaky bright even with my desktop set up that I would consider as "very smooth sounding set up". HE1000SE is a definite improvement over Arya in all areas, not only technicalities but also smoother and more natural. Still, hard for me to be able to enjoy HE1000SE lol. I guess Hifiman is just not for me.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #5,539 of 5,646
My heads been in the sand with the Elites since I sold mine awhile ago. Though I've been thinking of picking them up again since I picked up the TT2 and been wanting to size down a bit. If I remember correctly, one of my gripes with the cans were the slightly weak clamp force and it would feel like they could slide off easily on my head. The angled pads have also peaked my interest. How does the clamp force with the angled pads compare to Susvara? Also I might be willing to a meet up with anyone in the NJ area if they're interested in hearing a Susvara/Bliss combo. With the TT2 I've been wondering if I'd be happy enough running the Elites straight off the TT2 instead of needing the Bliss and Susvara

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #5,540 of 5,646
My heads been in the sand with the Elites since I sold mine awhile ago. Though I've been thinking of picking them up again since I picked up the TT2 and been wanting to size down a bit. If I remember correctly, one of my gripes with the cans were the slightly weak clamp force and it would feel like they could slide off easily on my head. The angled pads have also peaked my interest. How does the clamp force with the angled pads compare to Susvara? Also I might be willing to a meet up with anyone in the NJ area if they're interested in hearing a Susvara/Bliss combo. With the TT2 I've been wondering if I'd be happy enough running the Elites straight off the TT2 instead of needing the Bliss and Susvara
Well, I can see why TT2 + Bliss better than TT2 alone. Bliss provide more density notes, expand the soundstage and add a little "wetness" in sound compared to direct from TT2. My most fav SS amp to pair is Cen Grand Silver Fox though. Produce even bigger soundstage than Bliss, combine with better micro detail, separation and attack notes.

p.s: I used to paired Elite direct from TT2 for more than a year before changed my set up completely.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #5,541 of 5,646
Well, I can see why TT2 + Bliss better than TT2 alone. Bliss provide more density notes, expand the soundstage and add a little "wetness" in sound compared to direct from TT2. My most fav SS amp to pair is Cen Grand Silver Fox though. Produce even bigger soundstage than Bliss, combine with better micro detail, separation and attack notes.

p.s: I used to paired Elite direct from TT2 for more than a year before changed my set up completely.
Yeah the Bliss does improve the TT2 in some ways for me. The main reason I'm considering the Elites again is just to get rid of the Bliss taking up so much space on my desk. I could just run Susvara from the TT2 which I think sounds ok enough from the TT2. My biggest worry honestly is that if I do pick up the Elite I'll end up liking them much more from the Bliss still than the TT2 alone lol. Even as a dac/amp combo the TT2 is just so much better than the previous d/s and r2r dacs i've tried in the past for my preferences.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #5,542 of 5,646
Yeah the Bliss does improve the TT2 in some ways for me. The main reason I'm considering the Elites again is just to get rid of the Bliss taking up so much space on my desk. I could just run Susvara from the TT2 which I think sounds ok enough from the TT2. My biggest worry honestly is that if I do pick up the Elite I'll end up liking them much more from the Bliss still than the TT2 alone lol. Even as a dac/amp combo the TT2 is just so much better than the previous d/s and r2r dacs i've tried in the past for my preferences.

If you think Susvara is better enough from TT2, "logically" you will think that Elite also better enough direct from TT2.

Elite is less demanding than Susvara, both from power needs and "revealing" character.

I even prefer TT2 alone rather Qutest + Formula S Stacks/Ferrum Stacks.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #5,543 of 5,646
We are at the opposite side even though use 2 same headphones (Meze Elite and ZMF Caldera). While you like Angled Alcantara to "brighten" the sound of Elite, but choose the warmer sounding Caldera Thick Pad for Caldera. I like Hybrid pad more with Elite, and use the standard Caldera pad for Caldera. Synergy with the system play a big role here I guess.

Hybris is the winner for me. AA Pad sound too lean for my taste. Not "hifiman" lean, still full body sound, but the Elite's magic is gone.

Well, I was losing interest with Empyrean 2, so I didn't do the rolling pad comparison. Will try to swap the Duo pad later this week for experiment.
How did you find the Duo pads on the Elite?

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #5,544 of 5,646
How did you find the Duo pads on the Elite?

Actually... I still haven't tried it yet haha. In my system the hybrid pad sound perfect already. Plus there are busy projects in my work, so for now I'm losing interest to make comparison between them. Will share the impression later once I tried them.

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #5,545 of 5,646
Actually... I still haven't tried it yet haha. In my system the hybrid pad sound perfect already. Plus there are busy projects in my work, so for now I'm losing interest to make comparison between them. Will share the impression later once I tried them.
Haha, no worries! Just some quick impressions would be fine, though, since there's very little info on them with the Elite so far. Hoping to get some impressions from someone soon!

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #5,546 of 5,646
IMG_6153.jpg

Surprised that this thread is so quiet lately. I was stagnant in my set up for a while and was considering moving the Elites out maybe for something new, but decided to try and swap out my Ferrum stack with the WA23 Luna (after lushing over it at CanJam) and man, the synergy here is incredible. Elites already are stunningly musical by default, but by adding the WA23's technically romantic sound, you get a boost in dynamics, out-of-head staging with just an addicting timbre---musical bliss.

Don't think these will be going anywhere anytime soon now :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #5,548 of 5,646
As I've said in the past, for me Elites have a particular synergy with tubes, much better than solid state.
I can see it-my concern would have been that Elites are already laid-back, so having overtly warm tubes would add to the euphonics but really soften the sound. I am happy that the WA23 is so technically proficient in dynamics that it blends the best of both worlds almost. Wonder how Elites would do from a hybrid like AIC-10. Overkill, I am sure but the curiosity never stops!

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #5,549 of 5,646
IMG_6153.jpg

Surprised that this thread is so quiet lately. I was stagnant in my set up for a while and was considering moving the Elites out maybe for something new, but decided to try and swap out my Ferrum stack with the WA23 Luna (after lushing over it at CanJam) and man, the synergy here is incredible. Elites already are stunningly musical by default, but by adding the WA23's technically romantic sound, you get a boost in dynamics, out-of-head staging with just an addicting timbre-musical bliss.

That pic looks soo good! I brought my Elites to Canjam NY last week and plugged it into the WA23 too, the sound was amazing! I wish I could afford that amp...one day 🤞

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #5,550 of 5,646
IMG_6153.jpg

Surprised that this thread is so quiet lately. I was stagnant in my set up for a while and was considering moving the Elites out maybe for something new, but decided to try and swap out my Ferrum stack with the WA23 Luna (after lushing over it at CanJam) and man, the synergy here is incredible. Elites already are stunningly musical by default, but by adding the WA23's technically romantic sound, you get a boost in dynamics, out-of-head staging with just an addicting timbre---musical bliss.

Beautiful setup. Both visually and sonically! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back