Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #7,516 of 7,712
I see lots of Black Friday deals for $230!
How often do new pairs go on sale for this low (from a reputable seller)?

I might have to grab a pair.

Nov 24, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #7,517 of 7,712
I see lots of Black Friday deals for $230!
How often do new pairs go on sale for this low (from a reputable seller)?

I might have to grab a pair.
I've seen it happen about twice a year.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #7,518 of 7,712
Five plus years later, I just ordered these again. These are for my wife when she listens to the TV. Selfishly, I am dying to try them again.
I have gone through lots of headphones in the last 7 years and these are the only ones I ever regretted moving on.

I also love the idea of replaceable parts. I bought her two pairs of cheap headphones and she broke both.

But I want to plug them into my station for a few hours first. :L3000:

In the last two months I have bought two pairs of, for me, very expensive headphones so I guess I am trying to share the happiness.
She has tried my headphones before and sees no improvement over $100 headphones. Curious how these will go down. They certainly are beautiful.

BF sale in Canada was/is $299.00.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #7,519 of 7,712
I'm interested in pad rolling my 99 Classics. What are some of the community's favorite pads these days? I understand Meze changed the pads at some point and the original pads are generally preferred over the current ones, but I have no idea what the differences are and what pads available today are similar.

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #7,520 of 7,712
The Dekoni pads were recommended elsewhere in the thread, bought the B grade pads and am very pleased, no more exaggerated bass. Isolation
is a little less but could be that the tight air seal on the original pads caused the exaggerated bass.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #7,521 of 7,712
The Dekoni pads were recommended elsewhere in the thread, bought the B grade pads and am very pleased, no more exaggerated bass. Isolation
is a little less but could be that the tight air seal on the original pads caused the exaggerated bass.
The elite sheepskin, you mean?

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #7,523 of 7,712
Got my 99's today. They are a Christmas gift for my wife, but I opened them up to check them out, in case they needed to be returned.

First off, they are still light, comfortable, beautiful and super easy to drive.
It has been almost two years since I sold mine. I never found them super bassy, like some people, but loved the overall sound.

I should insert here that I was in the middle of comparing my old Elex's against my new Clear's when the 99's arrived. Can't really compare the 99's with these.

If people find these too bassy, they will Hate the Clears. :smile:

I found the bass a little soft (everything is relative) and the mids very good. I had to turn down my amp (Violectric V220) volume as these are SO easy to drive. I still like the sound of these headphones and if I ever need another pair of "on the go" headphones, I would probably buy these again. They were always great out of my phone (LG V30) and Sony DAP.

With 25% off on Black Friday, they were a great deal and I hope my wife loves them.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #7,524 of 7,712
How do these compare to the DT770 80 Ohm?

The FR seems somewhat similar apart from more mid bass and slightly lower mids on the 99s. I know FR can only show so much though... are they different enough to be worth having a listen?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #7,525 of 7,712
How do these compare to the DT770 80 Ohm?

The FR seems somewhat similar apart from more mid bass and slightly lower mids on the 99s. I know FR can only show so much though... are they different enough to be worth having a listen?
Beyer 770's treble tends to be very dry, harsh and fatiguing. Meze 99's treble can be... a little sizzly at times, but over all is much more musical and far from harsh.

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #7,526 of 7,712
I'm interested in pad rolling my 99 Classics. What are some of the community's favorite pads these days? I understand Meze changed the pads at some point and the original pads are generally preferred over the current ones, but I have no idea what the differences are and what pads available today are similar.
Brainwavz Sheepskin Oval

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #7,528 of 7,712
My ear cushions сan't be used any more after 4 years. I ordered a pair from aliexpress.com but they don't sound like the originals by far.
Which air cushions will you suggest me using?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #7,529 of 7,712
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #7,530 of 7,712
My air cushions сan't be used any more after 4 years. I ordered a pair from aliexpress.com but they don't sound like the originals by far.
Which air cushions will you suggest me using?
Air cushion? You're in the wrong aisle, sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back