Metrum Acoustics Octave
Oct 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #647 of 707
  Better than Hugo? 
ph34r.gif

Yes 

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #648 of 707
avl06, have you posted any Aurix impressions and comparisons anywhere? Would be curious to hear more.

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #649 of 707
Only in the Aurix thread on here. Any questions, happy to try to answer.  My experience is limited to the gear I have owned , but this is the best combo, no question in my mind

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #652 of 707

Nope - don't own it

Thanks avl06,

I had the Beyerdynamics T1 for several months, well before getting the Octave MkII, so I am somewhat able to interpolate what you are hearing on the Metrum stack and what the HD800 might sound like, instead.

I should just order the Aurix and be done with it, huh?  
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #653 of 707

Thanks avl06,

I had the Beyerdynamics T1 for several months, well before getting the Octave MkII, so I am somewhat able to interpolate what you are hearing on the Metrum stack and what the HD800 might sound like, instead.

I should just order the Aurix and be done with it, huh?  
biggrin.gif

Yep - I need some company 
wink.gif

Apparently the designer rates the T1 as the best headphone...

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #656 of 707
  I must not have had the right DACs or amps when I owned the T1 - even though it's not known to be as finicky as the HD800.

Thats true - but  I think there are definitely some products with a definite synergy with the T1. Many on here swear by tube amps (which I have never owned). But the clarity and musicality I am hearing with this Metrum stack in truly impressive.

Of course, now I want to buy the Hex 
etysmile.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #657 of 707
Try the Hex before you buy it. I had it and the Quad and was not sold on its cost in the end.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #659 of 707
Reviewers are always going to say stuff like that. :wink: Bigger, shinier, much higher price tag...must be a whole lot better, right? Yeah, I'd have saved myself many dollars historically if I stopped falling into the professional reviewer trap.

I had the Quad, then I got the Hex. Loved the Hex, don't get me wrong, but the jump in sound quality was, on a relative and absolute sense, somewhat minimal going from the Quad. A bit less laid-back and a bit more resolving. A touch larger sounding. Measured performance was pretty similar with the Hex doing a bit better with THD. Made me question why I spent so much on it in the end despite loving it. Based on what I've read on the Octave II from people I trust, I get the sense there's not a whole lot to gain by going from that to the Hex. However, the Hex does use output transformers, where as the Quad and Octave do not, so they do have a slightly different, not necessarily better, presentation in that regard.

Edit: Should have clarified I was not sold on the Hex's costs after comparing the two, and against many other DACs, in that post before this.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #660 of 707
I look at reviewers as in the general sense (them / you / me) giving impressions - Nothing more.  I don't fall for the buzz word trap.  So looking at you as a reviewer. Again reviewer in a general sense.  You just gave me your impressions.  

Now - again, your the first person out of all the reading I've done say the Hex is not worth the cost over the Octave mkII.  I've heard the HEX for a short period.  It did nothing wrong - I haven't heard it side by side with the Octave mk2 to come to any conclusions on being worth or not worth the cost difference.  

Looking at everything you just said my take aways are the HEX is a bit better in just about everything over the Quad.  In my expereince that's what we pay for in the end.  Your edit is just a bit to general - What other DACs? 

Not questioning you - just saying it would be nice to name some other DACs that your talking about.  

Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back