Metrum Acoustics Octave
Jun 28, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #601 of 707
Rest of my setup is (Soon to be DAC) => Job Pre2 => Job 225 => Evolution Acoustics MicroOnes.

What is the Metrum Quad? Is it the entry line of Metrum or discontinued DAC from Metrum?

Trying to get the best DAC possible..

Heard that Metrum MK 2 is really good but also is the Hugo.

I prefer warmer than neutral.

Since you have heard both, which one would you recommend? I am not going to be using Usb but just coaxial.

Bluetooth capability of the Hugo is really tempting since I will be using android phone to stream music.
With Met. MK2, would prabably get Sonos or etc to stream. I do not want to get into computer playback for music.

I do not need the headphone or the volume control or the portability options on the Hugo.

Its strictly for 2 channel playback.

Any recomendations anyone?

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #602 of 707
  I think it may likely depend on the converter you are using.
A decent converter isn't exactly cheap! Costs almost a much as a Metrum MKII !
I've had a number of USB DAC's and most of them because they need a special driver for windows I have found a pain in the proverbial! You are reliant on the DAC manufacturer to keep the drivers up to date with current versions of operating system. This is why Metrum have moved away from the M2Tec USB implementation as they are not keeping it current.
My preference is for a device which uses a native driver with an optional proprietary if desired. I think Audiophileo take this approach. If your main source is going to be computer based then USB would seem the obvious choice.   

Quote:
  Yes sir.....the converter is connected to the PC's USB output then SPIDF out of the converter - and would be connected into the coax of the Octave. So my option would be either to use the optical out of the cd player into the Octave (yuck) or buy an Octave with the USB input and get rid of the converter. It is just hard to tell whether 'better sound' would come with the direct USB in from the computer or through the converter. Most of the music I will play will likely be played through JRiver, through the computer......so if it is better to use the converter and the coax input on the Octave, then that will trump using the coax input on the Octave for the cd player (if that makes any sense).

Thank you again for stickin' around....answering my questions! I have a Wavelength USB/SPIDF USB Converter

I purchased it from a friend a couple years ago.....has been working well with my Peachtree. If I feel that it is not up to the task (He paid $1k a couple years ago....I paid him a lot less for it), then I may go with the Audiophileo products that many have said wonderful things about. Then I would have the option to either do the toslink connection out of my Cambridge Audio player into the Metrum or........purchase a Rega or Stello transport (or something similar) to hook up directly to the amp. Although....I think I'd rather go through the Metrum DAC instead of using the DAC in the transport. Anyway, thank you so much for your input!

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #603 of 707
Rest of my setup is (Soon to be DAC) => Job Pre2 => Job 225 => Evolution Acoustics MicroOnes.

What is the Metrum Quad? Is it the entry line of Metrum or discontinued DAC from Metrum?

Trying to get the best DAC possible..

Heard that Metrum MK 2 is really good but also is the Hugo.

I prefer warmer than neutral.

Since you have heard both, which one would you recommend? I am not going to be using Usb but just coaxial.

Bluetooth capability of the Hugo is really tempting since I will be using android phone to stream music.
With Met. MK2, would prabably get Sonos or etc to stream. I do not want to get into computer playback for music.

I do not need the headphone or the volume control or the portability options on the Hugo.

Its strictly for 2 channel playback.

Any recomendations anyone?

Definitely not the Hugo. It will be too thin with the JOB gears, who are already on the lean/super-detailed side. Unless your speakers are very warm?

At the Hugo's budget I'd get either a used Metrum HEX or Audio-gd Master-7.
If your budget can stretch to 3k, the AMR DP-777 and Lampizator 4 are strong candidates.

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #604 of 707
My speakers are ribbon so its definately not on the warm side. Maybe even a tiny bit harsh in high frequencies. Tranperent though.

I was planning to go with the lampi level 4 gen 4 until someone who both had the metrum octave mk2 and lampi preffered the metrum to my surprise considering the price difference.. overall he preffered the balance of metrum over lampi..

That and 6moons sarajan having the metrum hex as his reference dac regardless of price..

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #605 of 707
I just moved my Octave Mk 1 into my speaker system, having bought the Hugo for headphone listening. Not had much time to evaluate yet. If I miss it I'll have to move it back!

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #607 of 707
My speakers are ribbon so its definately not on the warm side. Maybe even a tiny bit harsh in high frequencies. Tranperent though.

I was planning to go with the lampi level 4 gen 4 until someone who both had the metrum octave mk2 and lampi preffered the metrum to my surprise considering the price difference.. overall he preffered the balance of metrum over lampi..

That and 6moons sarajan having the metrum hex as his reference dac regardless of price..

That's interesting.  I would love to hear more comparisons of the two.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #608 of 707
Much as I love the Hugo I'm missing the Metrum - I really don't get the opportunity to listen to my 2 channel system. 

So my question is - which amp do you recommend to pair with Metrum Octave?  I had the v200 but sold it.

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #609 of 707
Much as I love the Hugo I'm missing the Metrum - I really don't get the opportunity to listen to my 2 channel system. 

So my question is - which amp do you recommend to pair with Metrum Octave?  I had the v200 but sold it.

For which headphone ? :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #610 of 707
For which headphone ?
smily_headphones1.gif

My new LCD-X and ideally my old T1

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #615 of 707
  I just got a reply from Cees Ruijtenberg of Metrum Acoustics. In terms of sonic performance, the MK II has improved jitter but overall it's only a small step upwards. The real advantage of the MK II is the optional USB module, which is powered directly by the MK II's internal power supply. Other than these, it seems there aren't many benefits that would convince Octave owners to purchase the MK II.

Cees said that if you are happy with it, keep the original Octave. Which is what I decided to do after reading what he had to say.

Thanks for this bit of research you posted in March of 2013, songmic!

I just ordered the MK1.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back