Metal/Progressive Rock/Alternative Rock/Post Rock IEM
Dec 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #32 of 91
Quote:
Isn't that the same as sound stage?

No soundstage its more just referring to how wide and deep the music sounds not where the sounds are positioned.  You can have a average soundstage but still have good imaging.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #33 of 91
I like the same stuff you do and I own a W4r and I can tell you that you can't go wrong with the W4r. It's the best IEM (check my list on my profile if you want) I ever owned and I'm 100% happy with it.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #36 of 91
Thanks for the advice and feedback guys. You've been awesome 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm gonna decide on either the W4's or SM3 - V2's.

Techno Kid I will very interested in hearing your feedback on the UE900's once you get to try them out, just in case I haven't purchased my IEM's by January.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #37 of 91
I listen to almost nothing but all genres of metal and have over the course of 2-3 years concluded that dynamic drivers are definitely more enjoyable. I do not have anywhere near that kind of money to spend on headphones, so almost all headphones I've tried have been in the sub-$100 range, and there is a lot of great IEMs out there for all subgenres of metal (death,black,thrash,prog,etc). Every IEM I've bought over $100 I ended up returning or selling. I think BA do metal much justice in providing the detail you need for the genre. Dynamic drivers can provide almost as much detail and clarity if you know what to look for. And usually, these genres of metal/rock really require a "fun" signature, as in a powerful and punchy bass (no midbass veil) and strong mids (not recessed). I have a lot more fun experimenting in the sub-$100 range and have found a lot of enjoyable IEMs. Shockingly enough, I've found I enjoy much of the budget earphones for metal over the more expensive, like the Philips SHE3590 and Monoprice 8320. These have the detail, mids, and powerful sound that metal requires for a throwaway price. This is of course my own take, and obviously you may want to spend that kind of money. I've owned the UE700, which were dual BA, and they were great, but I ended up preferring much cheaper dynamic models for on the go listening and even just at home. I just don't see the need in spending anywhere near $400, let alone $200, unless you're doing serious critical listening to every micro detail.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #38 of 91
The IEM's the OP is talking about getting and no disrespect to the Monoprice or Philips IEM's as I'm sure in they're price range are good but the IEM's the OP is going to get are in a whole other league and sound great with metal (at least Korn, Megadeth and a few others I listen to does).  I know some people think you should work your way up to top IEM's but I say if you have the money to spend get the best, you wouldn't do that with other things you buy so why do it with an IEM.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #39 of 91
Quote:
 I just don't see the need in spending anywhere near $400, let alone $200, unless you're doing serious critical listening to every micro detail.

That's what we do here 
biggrin.gif
 Hopeless, pointless, a crowning example of blantant consumerism at it's best/worst. Run away while you still can!

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #40 of 91
I know, right! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Soon after joining Head-Fi I began to understand why the threads mentioned in the automatic email you get once you set up an account say:

[size=11.0pt]"Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet."[/size]

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #41 of 91
Well when I'm at home listening to music I do listen to every little detail an also when I'm out and about I still want to hear the music played right.  I want an IEM that's going to present everything in the closest to perfect way and you can't do that with cheap ones (most of the time but there are those exceptions from time to time).

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #42 of 91
Quote:
Well when I'm at home listening to music I do listen to every little detail an also when I'm out and about I still want to hear the music played right.  I want an IEM that's going to present everything in the closest to perfect way and you can't do that with cheap ones (most of the time but there are those exceptions from time to time).

Completely agree. While I have not tried any of the cheaper IEM's including the ones mentioned specifically by glove4, and therefore have no reference, I would like to get the best sound possible for the money I'm willing to spend and everything I have read up to this point clearly states that there is a very significant and noticeable jump in sound quality, sound stage, imaging, etc. when you go to high end IEM's.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #43 of 91
I listen to metal with my W4-s and I absolutely love it. The amount of detail these things can bring out is surprising. They're pretty comfortable too. The W4's sound depends on its tips. The preferred ones are the Earsonics biflanges, Sony hybrids and Shure Olives. I prefer the stock triple flanges- superb isolation and lots of detail with a slight loss of the upper end sparkle. If you're planning to buy a W4, buy the W4R model which has a detachable cable. Westone's customer service is superb- it's the best I've ever experienced from any company till date. Can't go wrong with these- they are one of the best all rounder universal iems around IMHO. They sound good with just about every genre and are one of those rare ones whose sound signature is quite difficult to dislike.

Differences in sound quality do exist between bargain basement iems and the top range ones. However, there are some stellar products in the mid/upper mid tier iems that can give you really good sq at a lower price. For metal, the faves at headfi are the GR07, FXT90, TF10, HJE900, etc. 

Ultimately, everything depends on your preference of sound. It's kind of like booze- ultimately it's just alcohol, but folks have their preferences on what type of drink works best for them. The end result after drinking is the same, it's only the taste that's different.  Uh..I hope that I made my point clear with that..example. I like to think it's the same with iems too- their goal is sound reproduction, but the manner in which they do so is different- they all impart different flavors to various parts of the sound spectrum. As with all such subjective things, folks have their preferences on this too.

Considering what I had said, it's best if you can audition the iems before you buy. Try and see what works out for you, right? If you're living in the States, I don't think that will be a problem... If you can't do that and if you're going by recommendations, the W4 is a solid choice.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #44 of 91
Thanks lepermessiah

Could you please clarify the advantage offered by the 4R's over the regular W4's? The difference in price between the two is pretty steep (close to $150), so to me, they need to offer a significant advantage for them to be over 40% more expensive.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #45 of 91
Quote:
Thanks lepermessiah

Could you please clarify the advantage offered by the 4R's over the regular W4's? The difference in price between the two is pretty steep (close to $150), so to me, they need to offer a significant advantage for them to be over 40% more expensive.

The W4R has a removable cable and the regular W4 doesn't. Other than that, there isn't any difference between the two of them unless I'm missing something. Wow! I wasn't aware that the price difference between them was $150...
Still, the removable cable offers a security against cable failure (the reason for which why 99% of the iems stop working) and also offers the possibility of experimenting with aftermarket cables which may/may not alter the sound signature. Quite a hefty premium they're charging for peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back