Messenger Bag.... Fi!
Mar 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #47 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like it is a snap closure.
So, that would not be a problem.

oh yeah... i see how that works. clevah.
definitely a nice bag.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #48 of 260
Quote:

Anyone want to help me decide between these two?
They are on sale for $149.00

Without seeing details/features,.... I couldn't. They look kewl, tho. -- Oh, the top flap is undone with snaps ... good.

Where are they on sale for $149? From $515? Hell, our OP could buy both and then decide which he likes and eBay t'other....

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #49 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChromeJob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without seeing details/features,.... I couldn't. They look kewl, tho. -- Oh, the top flap is undone with snaps ... good.

Where are they on sale for $149? From $515? Hell, our OP could buy both and then decide which he likes and eBay t'other....

ChromeJob, we are talking about two different bags.
The one that I show (Australian Bag Outfitters Cobber Messenger Bag) is $149.00.

Australian Bag Outfitters Bushman Business Bag - Waxed Leather - Save 49%

VicAjax is talking about a bag from Sackett Messenger by Moore & Giles. $435.00 — $515.00.

Shop Sackett - Classic Messenger - Brompton Midnight | Moore and Giles Inc.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 260
Quote:

I've had and still have several types of boarding bags, satchels, various sizes and materials (e.g. nylon, leather, cloth), military surplus or aftermarket,...

I'll be damned. Some company called J.L. Powell is doing many of the old Willis & Geiger designs (since Lands End closed W&G in the late 1990s, and I picked up many items for 70% or better off). W&G ended life as a "haute safari" firm, but had been around for 90 years, producing outdoor gear to the likes of Roosevelt, Hemingway, et al.

This new firm is redoing some of W&G's luggage designs, too, including the map case that I have (and makes a great smaller stuff bag):

90-11-md.jpg

I can honestly say this is my bestest, favoritest shoulder bag, I had an HP OmniBook 800CT that fit in it perfectly (in a Port canvas and leather portolio case), look less like a computer bag then some Amelia Earhart navigator's kit. J.L. Powell's isn't cheap, but it's the most functional, classy haversack I own. (BTW, the rod and brass ring design is borrowed form a type of British briefcase, I think it was called a Churchill, or something like that. Popular with bankers and barristers; extremely sturdy even when stuffed with 20 lbs of legal papers.)

BTW, you could also go simple ... find a British military gas mask Mk-VII canvas bag ... it suited a certain fictional archeological professor-adventurer, it ought to work for you.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #51 of 260
ooooh...that's real nice. how heavy is it when it's empty?

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #52 of 260
Quote:

ChromeJob, we are talking about two different bags.
The one that I show (Australian Bag Outfitters Cobber Messenger Bag) is $149.00.

Australian Bag Outfitters Bushman Business Bag - Waxed Leather - Save 49%

Sierra Trading Post is one of my favorite outfitters ... great people, superb customer service, unbeatable return policies. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #53 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooooh...that's real nice. how heavy is it when it's empty?

It's all leather (mine's THICK leather, full grain versus top grain)[size=xx-small][1][/size], with brass fittings. Answer: it's not lightweight even empty. Hence the padded, sliding shoulder pad.

Also, the strap attaches to the rings, which are not on the sides, so it's a little "swing happy." It's an old-fashioned design, IIRC derived from an pre-WWII original. Pretty much at the other end of the spectrum where modern high-tech messengers bags reside.

[1] If you're not sure of the difference, Google it.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #54 of 260
great for durability, not so great on the back. those full grain bags kill me when they're packed. i also walk everywhere, so i'm carrying my bag for long stretches.

Moore & Giles seems to be pretty serious about its leathers, at least judging by the website.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #55 of 260
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #56 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great for durability, not so great on the back. those full grain bags kill me when they're packed. i also walk everywhere, so i'm carrying my bag for long stretches.

That's why my daily bag is a Patagonia Vertical Mass. Wish I'd bought an extra when they were still around....

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help me pick my messenger bag!

... I started out very sure I wanted a chrome bag, but they might be a little to trendy for me. What does everyone think, anyone have any of these bags?

Yuck ... how about "none of the above?" Okay, seriously, the Chrome bag was the only 1 that seemed good and sturdy and attractive. Seems they make serious biker/messenger stuff.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #57 of 260
Quote:

This one looks nice!
And it is only $98.00.

J. Crew has released a bowery messenger bag in which is available in both brown and navy options. Each piece boasts a rugged waxed canvas made of cotton which is carefully distressed to give it that "had-it-forever" feel. Other details include antiqued-brass hardware, leather trim, contrast lining, adjustable horizontal strap, as well as leather two-buckle closure.

2uj5owm.jpg

That is awesome!

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #58 of 260
Quote:

That's why my daily bag is a Patagonia Vertical Mass. Wish I'd bought an extra when they were still around....

it looks like a great bag for travel and weekends... i just need something a little schmancier for business.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #59 of 260
Here is my solution. This is not exactly a messenger bag, so please forgive me if I post to a wrong thread.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Case is solid and cheap, making of a suitable feeling form is a matter of an hour. As you can see my dac, amp, headphone and cables are perfectly fixated.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #60 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this Knomo Messenger Bag. I really like the way it looks. I also want a leather bag.

I pulled the trigger.... VERY nice bag, exactly what I wanted. Fits my Macbook Pro 15.4" perfectly. It also fits my work laptop which is an HP 6710b. I got it for $50.00 less than retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back