Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review
Jan 31, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #271 of 299
Finally! Im excited!

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #274 of 299
Firmware is up!

Update is easy but you have to bypass the Power Supply -> USB direct in Prime.

Now, we need test Tracks. 2L has some and you can hear some difference, but I’m more in for POP/Rock. The Kate Bush Sample track apparently is very good but cannot find.

B

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #277 of 299
Did anybody managed to get the blue mqa indicator light turned on? Playing mqa test tracks from 2L using jriver and it still stays at "1x" sample rate indicator.

Pls do share what software player everyone is using that turns on the mqa decoding of the prime. Tx!

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #278 of 299
Yes, it works.
My Explorer² indicates the MQA with the blue/green LED and the sampling with the white LED(s).
My PHA is the early type. It indicates the MQA and the sampling with a white LED(s).
From Meridian:
"When the Prime Headphone Amplifier (PHA) was first released, the 4th white LED was the only indication that MQA material is being decoded and played back. On later (current) version, they the same indicator LED as the Explorer² (blue/green)"
I use Roon 1.1 and JRiver 21, ASIO or WASAPI (in exclusive mode).
All 2L MQA recording versions sound very, very good. And for me much better than the 24/192 kHz ones.
Have you downloaded the MQAs from 2L?  ( www.2L.no/hires/index.html )

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #279 of 299
I just noticed something interesting

"Three front-panel headphone sockets are provided, optimised for purpose. One is a 3.5mm stereo socket for the connection of earbuds and similar devices, which presents an output impedance of 2Ω to suit these devices. The other two sockets offer an exceptionally low impedance (around 3mΩ) and are standard 1/4in stereo (tip-ring-sleeve) types, carrying both channels. They can be used to connect two pairs of headphones, or to attach a single pair of headphones wired with separate cords for left and right drivers, thus offering the opportunity to reduce headphone crosstalk."

Anyone tried this?

Source:https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/computer-audio/prime-headphone-amplifier/

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #280 of 299
I just noticed something interesting

"Three front-panel headphone sockets are provided, optimised for purpose. One is a 3.5mm stereo socket for the connection of earbuds and similar devices, which presents an output impedance of 2Ω to suit these devices. The other two sockets offer an exceptionally low impedance (around 3mΩ) and are standard 1/4in stereo (tip-ring-sleeve) types, carrying both channels. They can be used to connect two pairs of headphones, or to attach a single pair of headphones wired with separate cords for left and right drivers, thus offering the opportunity to reduce headphone crosstalk."

Anyone tried this?

Source:https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/computer-audio/prime-headphone-amplifier/

I assume the wire would be terminated in a 1/4" TRS pair on one side and 4-pin XLR on the other. Where would one locate such a wire?

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #282 of 299
Apr 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #284 of 299
  First we need to conform whether what is said is actually true, as far as I did my research no one has tried using the balance headphone out using 1/4 inch trs jacks. 

Most the time, as with Pono and Ayre Codex, there is a mechanism built-in so that only the left channels go out the left TRS and vice for the right. That's why it concerns me a little to ask a cable maker to do something odd - connect the ground on both cables, but only the right out of the right channel and vice on the left. Since I don't have the amplifier in my possession, I'll also first be listening as-is to see how well it performs. If it does well, I may just post back out and say - happy!

It's not supposed to be for HE-6. But I'm expecting good things with HD800S and HE1000.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #285 of 299
Can prime owners comment on synergy with LCD4? I'm hoping to get one but worry about if the prime drives it competently like how it powers my lcd3fs now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back