Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review
Dec 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #256 of 299
  I just received the headphone amp for Christmas and after connecting to both a Mac and Macbook Air I can not get the amp to stop clicking in and out. The sound come out of the headphones intermittently as well.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
John

Sorry to hear that. I hate it when new toys don't behave. I would just suggest double checking the instructions. Check your connections, break them and re break them. Try a different USB cable. Try connecting to a powered USB hub from Mac, and thence to Meridian. The best of luck!

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #257 of 299
Thanks for the video review. I would be VERY interested to hear the Meridian Prime/Audeze LCD-X setup. That might be my dream combination. Now where did I put that winning lottery ticket..

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #258 of 299

CES 2015: Tidal to launch high-res streaming service using Meridian MQA

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2015-tidal-to-launch-high-res-streaming-service-using-meridian-mqa

Super exciting news, fantastic year to come.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #259 of 299

Ok, what does MQA do that hi res files do not?

Smaller file sizes which are good for streaming high-res audio. So, not very useful.

Yes, and as far I understand to be able to stream/reproduce the "Original Master file" "lossless".

...just like FLAC, APE, ALAC, etc. Don't believe the hype.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #260 of 299
Why wouldn't he believe the "hype"? Have you heard an MQA file?.. No need to be prejudiced. MQA is more than "smaller files for streaming high-res audio" by the way.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #261 of 299
  Why wouldn't he believe the "hype"? Have you heard an MQA file?.. No need to be prejudiced. MQA is more than "smaller files for streaming high-res audio" by the way.

Well, all high-res audio is hype, so this is hype upon hype :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #262 of 299

Well, all high-res audio is hype, so this is hype upon hype :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

I'll watch the vid when I get home, thanks for the link.

There are a lot of factors though. A poorly mastered album won't sound any better just because it's in high-res. You might need really high quality gear to hear a difference (professional monitoring gear or high-end speakers etc.)... I agree that in most cases a well mastered cd quality is the highest quality we can hear though. That said, MQA sounds promising because it's applied at mastering process. It's not an  "let's get this file and upsample it to high-res, audiophile idiots won't notice" situation. Meridian takes a different approach here. It's not only about making high-res files smaller. We should wait and see.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #263 of 299
I agree that in most cases a well mastered cd quality is the highest quality we can hear though.

rolleyes.gif

CD is a severely compromised and outdated format. It was designed in a long bygone era. The design criteria were, it should be a disk. It should fit into a car stereo head unit. It should contain as much data as possible. Well that was the stone age. These days we can, and should have access to far higher quality files than what is available from a CD. We can easily store far more date in far less space than we could back then.

How can hi res be better than a CD? Dynamic range, instrument separation, sense of space, etc. These all improve, but ONLY if your system is good enough to show these differences.

Why do we still seem to be stuck in the CD resolution age?

1. Most people do not have a system that makes better then CD quality worthwhile, so they just don't care, and will not pay more for hi res.

2. The recording industry is a total and utter mess, with a jumble of middle men, that all want a cut, and all have a deadly fear of a simple system that will allow consumers to buy what they want, artists to be paid and the main recording company taking their fair share. The hysterical copy right protection and regional protectionism has hamstrung development. For example, I can't get Tidal, because I live in the wrong part of the world! Of course I could circumvent their silly protection but I just can not be bothered.

3. An unhealthy and unproductive focus on home theatre with people spending money on a disorganized mass of cables, speakers, amplifiers and processors that has taken the impetus away from real improvements in audio quality.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #266 of 299
Wow. I read that MQA encoded files available for download from Audio High's website so it seems. Finally we will all get a listen to this MQA thingy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back