Meridian Explorers for $149.95 RMAF special!
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 28
Hmm and I thought that you bought Meridian for better sound :-D You have to try to believe I guess. :wink:

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #18 of 28
Has anyone successfully used their Meridian Explorer with a smartphone/tablet? If yes, can you discuss how you set it up?

I contacted Meridian about this and they said that while this is not officially supported they were aware of other people having done this succesfully.

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #19 of 28
Yeah Explorer works perfectly with my LG G pad 8.3, just buy an otg cable and an app called USB audio player pro. First you have to connect dac to smartphone / tablet then start the app. One more thing, not all Android devices are working. Check their website first. http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #20 of 28
Yeah Explorer works perfectly with my LG G pad 8.3, just buy an otg cable and an app called USB audio player pro. First you have to connect dac to smartphone / tablet then start the app. One more thing, not all Android devices are working. Check their website first. http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Awesome, thanks. Looks like it also works with the Nexus 5.

Any luck using the Exlorer on an iPad or iPhone?  Torn on getting the Xperia Z3 or iPhone 6.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 28

Awesome, thanks. Looks like it also works with the Nexus 5.

Any luck using the Exlorer on an iPad or iPhone?  Torn on getting the Xperia Z3 or iPhone 6.

Hello, I've heard that people used the camera kit (lightening port to usb port) and paired it up with the Meridian and it worked. You might want to do a little more research on this so don't count on my words.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #22 of 28

Hello, I've heard that people used the camera kit (lightening port to usb port) and paired it up with the Meridian and it worked. You might want to do a little more research on this so don't count on my words.

It looks like the Explorer would also need a powered USB hub to work with an iPad (and I presume a smartphone too). That would be too cumbersome so I'm going to look around at some other options like FiiO.

If anyone has any FiiO alternatives that would work with a smartphone, iPad, etc. please let me know. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 28
I got mine last week and after a few set-up haggles, it is working great. I really hate though when you need to download a driver and the manufacturer does not include a direct link in the packaging. It took me 10 minutes hunting on the site to find it. Once that was done though...

It sounds great. I waited to buy any 24/192 music until I had something I was sure could play it, but that will happen this week. I played some 24/96 Rush, and the analog-recorded albums sound amazing. A lot of depth and you can hear every note decay to the fullest extent; the drums and cymbals are very distinct and the bass is the clearest articulation I've ever heard (the recent blu-rays aside of course). But even the digitally recorded Presto shines on this device (and my NAD Viso HP50s!). There is a bit of brightness in some places (on the track War Paint, this stood out), but that is likely the source material. I switched to some Dream Theater and was disappointed. The music is pretty dense and sounded that way. I didn't get the clarity and separation I was expecting. I only played two tracks on A Dramatic Turn of Events, so again - hard to say if it is the source or device.

As for the packaging and build, the boxed item is well packaged and the instructions make it easy to get started (driver issue aside). It is a nice solid build, and I like that they included a stopper plug to prevent you from accidentally plugging headphones into the line out jack (which I've not yet tested). One quibble: the lights to show file resolution are rather pointless. I mean, if I have to manually set the resolution, and I set it to 24/192 and play a 24/96 file, the lights don't change to show the file is lower resolution. What's the point? It still plays the lower rez file at the higher rez setting, so this just seems pointless. I tested another DAC at Headroom that changed the lights based on what the file was, not the manual setting.

I plan on buying an OTG cable and microSD card this week to hook up my Android tablet instead of my clunky Toshiba laptop. Anyone ever try an SD card higher than manufacturer's suggested limit? Not that I have more than 60 hi-rez albums yet, but I plan to. :)

Overall though, I am quite happy with this purchase. I knew Meridian would be announcing a newer model and that's why they wanted to unload these, but it is definitely worth the $150. Send Todd your business!!!

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #26 of 28

The lights change when using ASIO from Foobar and such.  Set it to 24/192 in Windows Sound, then go to Foobar and play different resolution files.  You'll see the lights change.  Also, if you just use Windows Sound settings and let's say you set it to 24/192 and then play a 16/44 file...the Meridian will switch its software filter and you'll get a brick-wall filter applied that will affect the soundstage and not use the minimum phase filter which is where the device really shines.  If you use foobar to play all your tracks you'll be better off with matched (track sample rate : device sample rate).  Hope this helps :)

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #28 of 28
Thanks, this made a huge difference. I wonder if that is why I was disappointed with the Dream Theater album - a misapplied filter. I'll listen again soon and see. But listening to Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream right now and am hearing the difference (and seeing it in the bit rate lights!)

Thanks again.

The lights change when using ASIO from Foobar and such.  Set it to 24/192 in Windows Sound, then go to Foobar and play different resolution files.  You'll see the lights change.  Also, if you just use Windows Sound settings and let's say you set it to 24/192 and then play a 16/44 file...the Meridian will switch its software filter and you'll get a brick-wall filter applied that will affect the soundstage and not use the minimum phase filter which is where the device really shines.  If you use foobar to play all your tracks you'll be better off with matched (track sample rate : device sample rate).  Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back