Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #31 of 1,003
"It's the LH Labs forums afterall and the charts were posted by a mod there."

The charts are what they are... and Geek Out measurements look better than competition.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #33 of 1,003
I have been waiting for the release of the Explorer 2 for months (to know the spec etc). I own the Explorer 1 but cannot decide whether to buy a Schiit Audio Wyrd / iFi USB power or the Explorer2. It is well documented the Explorer moves into a different league when getting a clean power supply. 

As an IE800 owner, the lower impedance is attractive, plus omitting the optical and better DSP etc. 

I will post what I decide to do in the coming weeks. Shame they haven't included DSD but IMO, it's all about the mastering anyway. 

On a final note, can anyone tell me whether the Explorer2 would do justice to HD800's?

TIA. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #34 of 1,003
I just received my Explorer2 and so far my impressions are very positive. 

I've yet to use it with cans (this is actually my first portable DAC/amp), but I compared it with my Audio GD Master 7 in my desktop 2.1 speaker setup (which is where I do the vast majority of my listening).

Needless to say, the E2 did not top the Master 7. I'm very partial to R2R DACs versus Delta-Sigma DACs, because I generally find R2R DACs to be more "real" and "analog" sounding, especially when it comes to things like timbre (especially cymbals and acoustic guitar) and PRAT. Unsurprisingly, the Explorer2 did not have the "realness" of sound of the M7, lacking the M7's low-end oomph, as well as the M7's clear of placement of instruments, among other traits. However, the Explorer2 was notably good in terms of width of soundstage and the general neutrality of its tone. The high end was not as tinny as most Delta-Sigma DACs I've tried, which I was pleased with, since Sigma-Delta DACs are the only fair comparison for the Explorer2 (I don't think there are any truly portable R2R DACs/amps).

So, turning to Delta-Sigma DACs, over the past year I went through a variety of sub-$1k SD DACs (including the Modi, the Uber Bifrost, the Maverick D2, and the Yulong DA8). Of those, I found the Bifrost Uber and the D2 to be the best, but none topped the Audio GD NOS1704 (which I still own) or the Master 7. (I'm also fond of a Teradak R2R NOS DAC that I still have, too.) Though I don't still own the Bifrost Uber or the D2, based on comparing the Explorer2 with the Master 7, I'm confident that it would hold its own as a DAC against the Bifrost Uber or the D2 (both of which also paled in comparison to the Audio GD DACs). Needless to say, I'm impressed with the Explorer2.

More impressions to come after I use it with headphones. I was planning to buy the Fulla and return/sell the one that I liked least, but the quality of the Explorer2 is making me wonder if I should even bother ordering the Fulla. Hopefully others will post some comparison reviews soon.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #35 of 1,003
  I had Chord Hugo and I prefer Explorer2 over it in terms of sound signature. If you have a hard to drive headphones, Hugo can drive them better. If you don't have power hungry headphones, Explorer2 is better in my opinion. Hugo's sound signature is lean and bright and forward, I just couldn't stand it after 30 minutes of listening. I feel like Hugo was designed for old people because they have problems with hearing high frequencies. Explorer2 is smoother and easier to listen to. I prefer it over Hugo. 

Wow, are you serious?  That's interesting to hear...  I had heard in the past that Hugo supposedly even reproduces the low end frequency well, resulting in a nice overall sound signature.  This is the first time I've heard that it is bright.   (Not trying to defend the Hugo or anything; just genuinely interested in knowing more about this as the Huo is a little --- "rare" for us common folks. :wink:

Is Explorer2 detailed at all frequencies as well as extending into the sub-bass frequencies?  If it is, I might have to seriously considering looking into this one.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #36 of 1,003
  I just received my Explorer2 and so far my impressions are very positive. 

I've yet to use it with cans (this is actually my first portable DAC/amp), but I compared it with my Audio GD Master 7 in my desktop 2.1 speaker setup (which is where I do the vast majority of my listening).

Needless to say, the E2 did not top the Master 7. I'm very partial to R2R DACs versus Delta-Sigma DACs, because I generally find R2R DACs to be more "real" and "analog" sounding, especially when it comes to things like timbre (especially cymbals and acoustic guitar) and PRAT. Unsurprisingly, the Explorer2 did not have the "realness" of sound of the M7, lacking the M7's low-end oomph, as well as the M7's clear of placement of instruments, among other traits. However, the Explorer2 was notably good in terms of width of soundstage and the general neutrality of its tone. The high end was not as tinny as most Delta-Sigma DACs I've tried, which I was pleased with, since Sigma-Delta DACs are the only fair comparison for the Explorer2 (I don't think there are any truly portable R2R DACs/amps).

So, turning to Delta-Sigma DACs, over the past year I went through a variety of sub-$1k SD DACs (including the Modi, the Uber Bifrost, the Maverick D2, and the Yulong DA8). Of those, I found the Bifrost Uber and the D2 to be the best, but none topped the Audio GD NOS1704 (which I still own) or the Master 7. (I'm also fond of a Teradak R2R NOS DAC that I still have, too.) Though I don't still own the Bifrost Uber or the D2, based on comparing the Explorer2 with the Master 7, I'm confident that it would hold its own as a DAC against the Bifrost Uber or the D2 (both of which also paled in comparison to the Audio GD DACs). Needless to say, I'm impressed with the Explorer2.

More impressions to come after I use it with headphones. I was planning to buy the Fulla and return/sell the one that I liked least, but the quality of the Explorer2 is making me wonder if I should even bother ordering the Fulla. Hopefully others will post some comparison reviews soon.

I actually read through all 3 current existing pages of this thread before coming back to reply. :wink:

My understanding is that the Explorer2 does not output that much power; have you had any experiences (good or bad) with driving the more power hungry headphones?  Also, how is the detail of the sound and the bass / sub-bass reproduction?

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #38 of 1,003
  I have been waiting for the release of the Explorer 2 for months (to know the spec etc). I own the Explorer 1 but cannot decide whether to buy a Schiit Audio Wyrd / iFi USB power or the Explorer2. It is well documented the Explorer moves into a different league when getting a clean power supply. 

As an IE800 owner, the lower impedance is attractive, plus omitting the optical and better DSP etc. 

I will post what I decide to do in the coming weeks. Shame they haven't included DSD but IMO, it's all about the mastering anyway. 

On a final note, can anyone tell me whether the Explorer2 would do justice to HD800's?

TIA. 

I actually read through all 3 current existing pages of this thread before coming back to reply. :wink:

My understanding is that the Explorer2 does not output that much power; have you had any experiences (good or bad) with driving the more power hungry headphones?  Also, how is the detail of the sound and the bass / sub-bass reproduction?

Explorer²'s amp doesn't have enough power for high impedance headphones. It can drive my HD700 (150 ohm) but it doesn't have as full of a sound as when I use it as a DAC and use the Vali as the amp.

I definitely wouldn't run HD800 through only the Explorer². It'd be pretty silly to expect a USB-powered DAC/amp like E² to power a flagship 300 ohm headphone like HD800 by itself. Plus, HD800 is notoriously picky about amps.

That being said, E²'s amp has more than enough power for my IEMs and A900X (42 ohm). I've been amazed at the much better sound quality coming out of the same IEMs and headphones I've been listening to for years when it's plugged through the E². 

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #39 of 1,003

Explorer²'s amp doesn't have enough power for high impedance headphones. It can drive my HD700 (150 ohm) but it doesn't have as full of a sound as when I use it as a DAC and use the Vali as the amp.

I definitely wouldn't run HD800 through only the Explorer². It'd be pretty silly to expect a USB-powered DAC/amp like E² to power a flagship 300 ohm headphone like HD800 by itself. Plus, HD800 is notoriously picky about amps.

That being said, E²'s amp has more than enough power for my IEMs and A900X (42 ohm). I've been amazed at the much better sound quality coming out of the same IEMs and headphones I've been listening to for years when it's plugged through the E². 

Interesting.  Thanks much for sharing your experience with your headphones and IEMs.  This gives us a better perspective on considering the purchase & usage of the Explorer2.  For the non-power hungry IEMs and headphones, do you feel/hear the oomph and thump of the bass and sub-bass very clearly?  Also, you mentioned better sound quality... do you mean it is more pleasing to the ears (i.e. because of the sound signature and warmth), or you can hear more details/instruments and other audio noises that were not heard before due to non-faithful reproduction?

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #40 of 1,003

Interesting.  Thanks much for sharing your experience with your headphones and IEMs.  This gives us a better perspective on considering the purchase & usage of the Explorer2.  For the non-power hungry IEMs and headphones, do you feel/hear the oomph and thump of the bass and sub-bass very clearly?  Also, you mentioned better sound quality... do you mean it is more pleasing to the ears (i.e. because of the sound signature and warmth), or you can hear more details/instruments and other audio noises that were not heard before due to non-faithful reproduction?

Explorer²'s headphone out (amp) adds a ton of "oomph" and "thump" in the bass and sub-bass when paired with lower-impedance IEMs and headphones. I thought my FiiO E10 was driving my IEMs and headphones well enough... until I switched to Explorer². E² made all of my IEMs sound much better, giving them more of everything. More detail, more clarity, more soundstage, more "oomph" in bass, etc. Simply put, it brings out the full potential of sub-100 ohm IEMs and headphones.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #41 of 1,003
  Explorer²'s headphone out (amp) adds a ton of "oomph" and "thump" in the bass and sub-bass when paired with lower-impedance IEMs and headphones. I thought my FiiO E10 was driving my IEMs and headphones well enough... until I switched to Explorer². E² made all of my IEMs sound much better, giving them more of everything. More detail, more clarity, more soundstage, more "oomph" in bass, etc. Simply put, it brings out the full potential of sub-100 ohm IEMs and headphones.

You know... now you have me really seriously considering the Explorer2.
biggrin.gif
 Thanks again for all your helpful impressions of this.  The more I research on and the more I read, the more appealing this device is getting.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #42 of 1,003

Can you use Explorer 2 with an android cellphone or tablet?

As far as I know, Explorer 1 works with android phones.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #43 of 1,003

Wow, are you serious?  That's interesting to hear...  I had heard in the past that Hugo supposedly even reproduces the low end frequency well, resulting in a nice overall sound signature.  This is the first time I've heard that it is bright.   (Not trying to defend the Hugo or anything; just genuinely interested in knowing more about this as the Huo is a little --- "rare" for us common folks. :wink:

Is Explorer2 detailed at all frequencies as well as extending into the sub-bass frequencies?  If it is, I might have to seriously considering looking into this one.

The lows were fine, it's just the sound signature was lean and high frequencies could be bothersome for ears sensitive to treble. HD800 and Beyer T1 did not pair well at all, for instance. Darker and mid-bass centric headphones were better (like Sennheiser Momentum). HD650s were fine but the magic was just not there, Vioelectric V200 was much better for them. Timing was what Hugo did best. I don't think Hugo is worth what it's sold for. I'd rather get Explorer2 for low-mid impedance headphones and/or Meridian Direct Dac/a decent amp for high impedance headphones.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #44 of 1,003

The lows were fine, it's just the sound signature was lean and high frequencies could be bothersome for ears sensitive to treble. HD800 and Beyer T1 did not pair well at all, for instance. Darker and mid-bass centric headphones were better (like Sennheiser Momentum). HD650s were fine but the magic was just not there, Vioelectric V200 was much better for them. Timing was what Hugo did best. I don't think Hugo is worth what it's sold for. I'd rather get Explorer2 for low-mid impedance headphones and/or Meridian Direct Dac/a decent amp for high impedance headphones.

We're apparently in the minority, but I share obsidyen's impressions regarding the Hugo - it's very detailed and certainly not lacking in low-end but I also find the overall sound bright and lean, ultimately fatiguing.  Don't like it much with my HD800 or T1.  It's better with my HD650 but even makes that one sound on the brighter side.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #45 of 1,003
Anyone else noticed the Meridian Directors price has been slashed significantly, like the explorer one before they released the 2. I wonder if a revised director is also on its way. This wouldn't surprise me. I may take them up on the current director for £250, seems a bargain to me. I have some HD800 on the way, then I only need a decent HP Amp to match the HD800.

To reiterate what i've said previously,the IE800 / Explorer 1 combo is nothing short of fantastic.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back