Mercury Living Presence Box Set
Apr 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 37
So there's a complete overlap between the SACDs and what's in this box set - no point in purchasing it if you have all the SACDs?

Now, I wonder why Mercury doesn't show some mercy and re-release their SACDs (I have 9 of them) once and for all - the prices some people are asking for these is obscene.  

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 37
Mercury only issued about 20 MLP SACDs, so the boxset is not a complete overlap.
Mercury just did not remaster the CD layer like Living Stereo series did.

If you have all the Mercury's old CD issues, then the boxset is a complete overlap.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #18 of 37
Oh, I meant the RCA Living Stereo box set, not the Mercury set (I only have, in any case, 9 of the 20 Mercury SACDs).  So, again, since I have all the RCA Living Stereo SACDs is there anything in the RCA Living Stereo box set I don't have, or is the box set a perfect 1 for 1 complete overlap?   

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 37
The only CD which in the boxset is not available in SACD is the first disk "sampler".
Since the music in the sampler is from the rest of disks, yes you have a perfect overlap.

Quote:
Oh, I meant the RCA Living Stereo box set, not the Mercury set (I only have, in any case, 9 of the 20 Mercury SACDs).  So, again, since I have all the RCA Living Stereo SACDs is there anything in the RCA Living Stereo box set I don't have, or is the box set a perfect 1 for 1 complete overlap?   

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 37
The Living Stereo Sampler disk is music that *isn't* included on the rest of the disks. It contains tracks from popular music releases.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 37
Whew - for once I can save some money :)   Thanks!  Now, if only Mercury would re-release those SACDs.  Are you guys going to go in for the EMI SACDs coming out shortly (already out in Europe)?

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #22 of 37
The Living Stereo SACDs sound exactly like the new CD box. The only reason to get SACD is for multichannel sound, and that isn't going to be applicable to the ancient recordings EMI is releasing. It's just a ploy to charge triple what the recordings are worth.

May 1, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 37
Just buy the CDs. In five years there certainly won't be SACDs any more. There probably won't be CDs either.

May 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #25 of 37
Like vinyl, SACD seems to be in something of an upswing due to audiophile buyers. There's a hypothetical situation where manufacturers decide to issue more on SACD in order to get the most money-per-unit out of physical disc sales, so in theory SACD may outlast CD.

May 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #26 of 37
The problem is that equipment manufacturers aren't supporting the format like they used to. It's going to get to the point where you need to buy a very expensive player just to play the darn things.

May 1, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 37
…been curiously eavesdropping on this thread…nothing really to add except that I have a few of these on vinyl, most notably Doráti's "Le Sacre du Printemps" with the Minneapolis Symphony and "Bluebeard's Castle" with the London…both pre-remastering…I still listen to 'em fairly regularly, though…

May 2, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #29 of 37
Dorati is underappreciated!

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #30 of 37
I read that the Janos Starker Bach Suites were slightly off-pitch on the CDs, but were corrected on the SACD.  Is that correct?  If so, which version does the box set have - corrected or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back