Mendelssohn 5th Symphony - any reco?
Jan 18, 2003 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zikarus

Headphoneus Supremus
Since I will get my Corda HA-2 soon
biggrin.gif
I would like to buy some new stuff:

Could you help me with a recommendation on Mendelssohn´s 5th symphony?

I already own Abbado with the LSO on DG which is fine indeed but - to me - poor in sound quality. I would like it a bit more forward.

Jan 18, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 12
I also own the Abbado/DG LSO 5th symphony, also own the Dohnanyi/Decca Double version and will have to listen again to refresh my memory, performed with Vienna PO.

Unfortunately most common single CD Mendelssohn pairing is 3 & 4 symphony so to get 5th you often must get complete set or double CD.

Probably one to check that is currently available is the Gardiner/DG also with VPO, features 4th plus live version of reformation sym, do not own this but has very favorable reviews.

Jan 18, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 12
Gardiner sounds like a good tip already (especially concerning my sound issue)! Will lend him an ear - thank you da

Jan 18, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 12
I have the Abbado and just received the Gardiner version but haven't had time to listen yet. I'll give it a listen and then get back to you. I was intrigued by this version because it has a new revision of the 4th symphony that should be quite interesting to hear.

Glad to know there are some Mendelssohn fans out there!

Look forward to hearing your comments on the Corda HA-2.

David

Jan 18, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 12
Yes Dave let us know how the Gardiner version sounds. I suspect since this is VPO the performance is modern instruments vs Gardiners usual period instrument performance.

His Schummann Symphony set of a couple years ago is very good
with great sound and detailed historical research leading to the inclusion of some alternate movements that are interesting.

So I strongly suspect the Mendelssohn will be quite good!

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 12
I just took a brief sampling of the Gardiner and compared its sound to the Abbado version. It is definately a bit more forward in its presentation--more like being in the 10th row of the audience as opposed to the back of the auditorium (Abbado's version).

Although sound is a bit closer to the orchestra, it is less harsh sounding than Abbado's (although I think for the year the recording was made, Abbado's version sounds pretty good--remember that it was made in the early 80's, near the birth of digital; perhaps this was the reason for the distant perspective).
You really get to hear the beautiful sonorities of the VPO's various instrument sections and the overall soundstaging is a vast improvement, IMO.

Musically speaking, I haven't had time to do a good analysis, but from the brief listen, I'd say that Gardiner's interpretation is excellent, if a bit different from Abbado's. Tempos seem to be very similar, although Gardiner begins the 4th's first movement a bit faster.

I say get the Gardiner--I don't think you'll be disappointed.

BTW--it had been a while since I'd listened to Mendelssohn's 5th. Does it strike anybody that the opening movement sounds remarkably similar to a Schumann symphony?

David

Jan 18, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 12
I am looking forward to get a hand on this Gardiner version soon, although it is played on modern instruments, as I assume. Maybe this one will even help me change my mind upon Mendelssohns 4th which to date I do not like very much (maybe just because it is heard to often).
wink.gif

As for the Schumann: By chance I have had the opportunity to visit the BPO last year. Christian Thielemann conducted a piece of Henze, Mendelssohn 5th and Schumann´s 2nd. Henze was o.k., Mendelssohn and Schumann absolutely fantastic! I was overwhelmed in a way that made me call the Philharmonic´s ticket office the next day and order an abonnement (six concerts/season). Btw - now I know there are more things out there than headfi, that let a wallet bleed ...

The Thielemann concert also made me buy Abbado´s Mendelssohn set. The only thing to keep me from buying Thielemann´s Schumann recordings was
a) that it is a modern performance
b) I had heard how good the Gardiner-set (on period instruments) ought to be
c) that I already have the Szell recordings (which are very fine - interpretation- and soundwise - too)

Meanwhile the Schumann by Gardiner has been deleted (at least here in Germany)!
mad.gif
But there might be a SACD rerelease somewhen ...
tongue.gif

I intend to give the Corda HA-2 a review although - alas - I will not be able to compare it to other amps like kelly and other more amp-experienced guys. But my Corda therefore will be a bit different from Jazz´s, because I will get one with AD8610 op´s instead of the LM6171
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Just got home from store and saw the Gardiner/DG set Dave has,
what a cool CD, has Sym 4 -> live sym 5 -> 3 alternative movements to sym 4, total @76 min. I noticed the 3 alternative movements are all noticeably longer vs standard sym 4 movements.

ZIKARUS
Don't want to drive you mad but the Gradiner/Arkiv version of Schumann 4 symphonies are my favorite. Close behind I also have Szell/RCA and Sawallisch/EMI Great Recordings sets.

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 12
My amateur composer friend always told me about how good the reformation symphony sounds. Now I finally got a recording, I have to concur with him. It sounds like a happier version of Brahms, and much more austere than his #3 and #4. My version is DG original series by Lorin Maazel, coupled with Franck's Symphony in D minor. I wonder what people think of this version?

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 12
Munch/BSO: Mendelssohn Symphonies 4/5
I have the old non-SACD version which sounds quite fine already.
It's now out on SACD, too.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zikarus
I am looking forward to get a hand on this Gardiner version soon, although it is played on modern instruments, as I assume. Maybe this one will even help me change my mind upon Mendelssohns 4th which to date I do not like very much (maybe just because it is heard to often).
wink.gif

As for the Schumann: By chance I have had the opportunity to visit the BPO last year. Christian Thielemann conducted a piece of Henze, Mendelssohn 5th and Schumann´s 2nd. Henze was o.k., Mendelssohn and Schumann absolutely fantastic! I was overwhelmed in a way that made me call the Philharmonic´s ticket office the next day and order an abonnement (six concerts/season). Btw - now I know there are more things out there than headfi, that let a wallet bleed ...

The Thielemann concert also made me buy Abbado´s Mendelssohn set. The only thing to keep me from buying Thielemann´s Schumann recordings was
a) that it is a modern performance
b) I had heard how good the Gardiner-set (on period instruments) ought to be
c) that I already have the Szell recordings (which are very fine - interpretation- and soundwise - too)

Meanwhile the Schumann by Gardiner has been deleted (at least here in Germany)!
mad.gif
But there might be a SACD rerelease somewhen ...
tongue.gif

I intend to give the Corda HA-2 a review although - alas - I will not be able to compare it to other amps like kelly and other more amp-experienced guys. But my Corda therefore will be a bit different from Jazz´s, because I will get one with AD8610 op´s instead of the LM6171
evil_smiley.gif

If you are looking for a phenomenal set of the Schumann symphonies that won't make your wallet bleed, then get this:

Robert Schumann: Symphonies 1-4; David Zinman, Tonhalle Orchester Zurich.

They are absolutely wonderful, probably one of the best interpretations I've ever heard with terrific sound quality as well. I know it's a big band version, but it really is superb. I can't lavish enough superlatives on the set. Their only flaw is the lack of an sacd version.

B0007PLKS4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Mendelssohn 5: if that's all you want, the Maazel really is extremely fine. The Franck coupling is also a great reading. Too bad his recordings in the last 20 years weren't as good as those early ones. His Rimsky-Korsakov Capriccio Espagnol is still the one to beat.

Schumann: the Zinman set is an exceptional bargain, no doubt. For $12 you get fine performances, excellent sound. But as good as they are, you can do better, if not cheaper. The Muti/Vienna set on Philips is as good as it gets. These are much better even than his already fine EMI set. And the Bernstein/Vienna set on DG is also superb. Makes you wonder if it's the Vienna Philharmonic that makes the difference. Some will tell you Szell is the only way to go. Not so -- the ancient, thin sound makes it a 2nd choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back