Melodic Artification ‘Eclipse’ (Dual Dynamic Driver)
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Scubadevils

Headphoneus Supremus
A new set that I felt deserves its own thread. I have mine two days, and loving them more with every session.

It’s a dual dynamic driver with a custom Liquid Links cable. Pending English translation of the details in terms of full specifications, cable composition etc. the RRP is $1,390, and I purchased from MusicTeck.
Some of my initial impressions:

Definitely a bass emphasis, warm, and incredibly euphoric IEM - really captivating. Treble is crisp, distinct with good detail but not forward… the kick for mid bass is fantastic, really good solid ‘thud’ - sub rumbles so nicely too, definitely not quite Z1R but I wouldn’t say a million miles from it. Instruments such as piano, strings etc sound very natural with a somewhat intimate atmosphere. Stage is a decent size, but certainly smaller than UM Mentor which I’ve been listening a lot to lately (and an unfair comparison) - I’ll be curious to compare versus Xelento 2, IE900 etc - Turii Ti a very different animal, and these are an ideal contrasting, and complementary set. It’s the sort of set that gets my heart racing pretty quickly due to that incredibly high emotional connection, definitely less about technicality and more about engagement.

Early days, and as always I have my happy ears on, but I’m loving these first few sessions. A lot more testing to do.

Oh and fantastic fit, very comfortable and good isolation. And to mention again, really beautiful shells, and as always, I love the Liquid Links cable.

Any other owners out there yet?!

99756A80-6AC3-4EB6-854A-8B899B4057E2.jpeg

20F813FC-EE4B-463C-86B3-53F9CDFD18BA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 48
A new set that I felt deserves its own thread. I have mine two days, and loving them more with every session.

It’s a dual dynamic driver with a custom Liquid Links cable. Pending English translation of the details in terms of full specifications, cable composition etc. the RRP is $1,390, and I purchased from MusicTeck.
Some of my initial impressions:

Definitely a bass emphasis, warm, and incredibly euphoric IEM - really captivating. Treble is crisp, distinct with good detail but not forward… the kick for mid bass is fantastic, really good solid ‘thud’ - sub rumbles so nicely too, definitely not quite Z1R but I wouldn’t say a million miles from it. Instruments such as piano, strings etc sound very natural with a somewhat intimate atmosphere. Stage is a decent size, but certainly smaller than UM Mentor which I’ve been listening a lot to lately (and an unfair comparison) - I’ll be curious to compare versus Xelento 2, IE900 etc - Turii Ti a very different animal, and these are an ideal contrasting, and complementary set. It’s the sort of set that gets my heart racing pretty quickly due to that incredibly high emotional connection, definitely less about technicality and more about engagement.

Early days, and as always I have my happy ears on, but I’m loving these first few sessions. A lot more testing to do.

Oh and fantastic fit, very comfortable and good isolation. And to mention again, really beautiful shells, and as always, I love the Liquid Links cable.

Any other owners out there yet?!

99756A80-6AC3-4EB6-854A-8B899B4057E2.jpeg

20F813FC-EE4B-463C-86B3-53F9CDFD18BA.jpeg
I dig the design, about the signature would you say these are v shape?

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 48
Yes a beautiful design, I’m a fan of minimal aesthetics and adore metal shells - especially when titanium due to the light weight.

Bass is boosted, but mids are well balanced, and treble while not overly extended, does have very good presence. I’m trying Agnes Obel now, a go-to for testing female vocals and her voice is nicely cantered and doesn’t sound pushed back at all - very natural sounding to me.

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 48
I've been searching around the Interwebs trying to learn more about these earphones. They look right up my alley but I always try to do as much research as possible before I jump in. That said, the Eclipse is rather unusual because of how little it has been marketed. From what I could find, it seems as if that might be an intentional aspect of the company.

Word of warning, I'm relying on translation apps and my interpretation of said translations. If anyone is a native speaker, feel free to chime in and correct me. Thanks!

A person selling an MA Audio IEM described the company as a peculiar non-commercialized designer from China. The same seller also shared an interview with MA Audio.

Based on the interview, MA Audio is a one-person company with a history of diy audio mods. The designer, Mark seems to have a characteristic sound, the "comfort of sound." There's lots of mention of a relaxing, emotional aspect to his tuning. There's also mention of an intention to scale up with a focus on branding. I'm wondering if the Eclipse might be the first step in this process?

I managed to find two (One and Two) stores on Taobao selling the Eclipse. Sadly, the content is pretty much exactly the same as what's found on Musicteck. I did see one listing say that MA Audio is related to Ikko audio in some manner. I'm wondering if they're handling the production?

Between the two shops, 4 units have been sold with over 100 reviews. If anyone has a Taobao account, it would be great to be able to read them past the first few sentences. What I did see was overwhelmingly positive, with a focus on how great the bass is. Many reviewers seemed to have some input in the development process mentioning beta testing an acrylic version.

I'm left with the impression that MA Audio has a pretty vocal community behind them. Also, the Eclipse seems like a small batch production to possibly test the waters in moving up to the next level.

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 48
@Scuba Devils how would you compare these to xelento2?

Xelento 2 I find to be a better or safer all-rounder, they work well with any genre with a very easy to please tuning. Eclipse will also work with any genre, but my experience so far is they very much excel and beat X2 from a timbre perspective - instruments like piano, strings, etc sound absolutely divine, and the bass really digs deep when called for in an incredibly visceral way. While Xelento 2 is impressive from a stage and imaging perspective, I would say Eclipse is superior overall from a technical perspective, the definition within the FR range is really excellent, sub bass has a very distinct delivery, very much like a separate sub woofer but still cohesive. I love both, but when sitting at home and intending to sit and really immerse myself in music, I’d reach for Eclipse over X2 every time… out and about walking, travelling etc, X2.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 48
I think this is the first time I've heard of an earphone containing an active and passive driver configuration. It's something I've heard of but wasn't too familiar with until I looked it up today.

Basically, a passive radiator is contained within the same enclosure as the active one, only it lacks a voice coil, magnet assembly, and wiring to power. It's essentially inert where its only purpose is to resonate from the sound pressure created by the active speaker. They're super useful in scenarios where space is a requirement and porting isn't possible. The result is a speaker that is able to create deeper bass than otherwise wouldn't be possible without having a port. It's a pretty elegant solution to have in an earphone.

I know I'm arguing with marketing but the Eclipse could be better described as a single DD or DD with an asterisk.

With that said, I did buy a pair and have had it for less than a day now. With regards to deep bass, the Eclipse is no slouch. It's early days yet but I think I'm even more impressed with the volumetric warmth of the mids and highs. It's been great for electronic music where digital tones are more analog sounding.

This song in particular is a great example.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 48
I think this is the first time I've heard of an earphone containing an active and passive driver configuration. It's something I've heard of but wasn't too familiar with until I looked it up today.

Basically, a passive radiator is contained within the same enclosure as the active one, only it lacks a voice coil, magnet assembly, and wiring to power. It's essentially inert where its only purpose is to resonate from the sound pressure created by the active speaker. They're super useful in scenarios where space is a requirement and porting isn't possible. The result is a speaker that is able to create deeper bass than otherwise wouldn't be possible without having a port. It's a pretty elegant solution to have in an earphone.

I know I'm arguing with marketing but the Eclipse could be better described as a single DD or DD with an asterisk.

With that said, I did buy a pair and have had it for less than a day now. With regards to deep bass, the Eclipse is no slouch. It's early days yet but I think I'm even more impressed with the volumetric warmth of the mids and highs. It's been great for electronic music where digital tones are more analog sounding.

This song in particular is a great example.

That's very interesting, where did you discover that with regards to the DD config?

I really love Eclipse, it's one of those sets that I instantly relax to when listening.

Oh and looking forward to seeing what the case is like, it didn't ship with my order by accident, arrives tomorrow!

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 48
That's very interesting, where did you discover that with regards to the DD config?

I really love Eclipse, it's one of those sets that I instantly relax to when listening.

Oh and looking forward to seeing what the case is like, it didn't ship with my order by accident, arrives tomorrow!
It's on one of those marketing graphics that I used Google translate for. It also looks as if Musicteck added it to the description. The more info the better!

The case is really nice. Here's a crappy photo:

IMG-1004.jpg

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 48
It's on one of those marketing graphics that I used Google translate for. It also looks as if Musicteck added it to the description. The more info the better!

The case is really nice. Here's a crappy photo:

IMG-1004.jpg

Just had a look on Musicteck and I see they do indeed have a description in English, that's very interesting. I find when I'm listening, the bass is not only excellent quality, but very distinct in it's positioning, I had assumed due to 2 x drivers but presumably a similar magic happens in this passive and active config.

Thanks for the picture of the case, it does look very nice! I was suprised when mine arrived to find there was no case.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 48
Xelento 2 I find to be a better or safer all-rounder, they work well with any genre with a very easy to please tuning. Eclipse will also work with any genre, but my experience so far is they very much excel and beat X2 from a timbre perspective - instruments like piano, strings, etc sound absolutely divine, and the bass really digs deep when called for in an incredibly visceral way. While Xelento 2 is impressive from a stage and imaging perspective, I would say Eclipse is superior overall from a technical perspective, the definition within the FR range is really excellent, sub bass has a very distinct delivery, very much like a separate sub woofer but still cohesive. I love both, but when sitting at home and intending to sit and really immerse myself in music, I’d reach for Eclipse over X2 every time… out and about walking, travelling etc, X2.
You should add this helpful comparison in your great review my friend ☺️
Great Job! Congrats bravo 👏🏻

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 48
The review, description, and graph are very excellent. But a bit suspicious about brands who appear from nowhere with 1 product that "has three years of R&D"

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #14 of 48
The review, description, and graph are very excellent. But a bit suspicious about brands who appear from nowhere with 1 product that "has three years of R&D"

Understandable.

Where did you find that the IEM has been in development for three years? Not that it would surprise me, everything about it exudes quality.

I think it would be better to describe the Eclipse as MA Audio's first product release for an International market. They've been around in China for a while, based on what I could find, with multiple products.

It still remains my favorite IEM and the one I use most. That said, I do share your concerns and have had the occasional thought on long term quality and support. There's nothing about it that has caused me to have such concerns but there is something to be said about knowing of a brand's reputation before giving them money.

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 48
Understandable.

Where did you find that the IEM has been in development for three years? Not that it would surprise me, everything about it exudes quality.

I think it would be better to describe the Eclipse as MA Audio's first product release for an International market. They've been around in China for a while, based on what I could find, with multiple products.

It still remains my favorite IEM and the one I use most. That said, I do share your concerns and have had the occasional thought on long term quality and support. There's nothing about it that has caused me to have such concerns but there is something to be said about knowing of a brand's reputation before giving them money.
Info from their Weibo:

Melodic Artification Eclipse solar eclipse, after a full three years of research and development, is finally about to officially meet with you.

-----------Breaking yourself and back to the void-------------

Breaking yourself, returning to the void

The first few R&D versions, Eclipse solar eclipse from R&D concept to The sound is completely different from the finished product now. After repeated testing and thinking, we decided to reject all the current ones, break them into parts, and start from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back