Meizu M6 SL Vs Original M6 (Listening to both right now)
Sep 24, 2008 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mr_Junesequa

500+ Head-Fier
Ive been given the chance to listen to both of these players side by side.

Whilst I am wishing my m6 sl sounds better, I can hear more details with the original version of the m6 (yes the phillips chip not the wolfston) it doesnt make much sense....mostly because my sl is so sexy slim...

sl goes louder...thats for sure

anyone else with both of these players?

Listen to elmer bernsteins symphony from 30 - 60 seconds

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 17
I hope you aren't using elmer bertsteins encode that came with the player and that you've done some level matching to justify your conclusions
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 17
no im not that stupid.

maybe after a few largers.

hey have you got both players? what do u think???

forget about the volume. i use the same track, on moderate level volume so theres no funny business with the signal. all eq effects off. flat eq. I just listen to the player. I listen for bumps in the mids....highs and lows...or recession, I then listen for distortion. I then play the same track on my sony, teclast, pc etc...

I downloaded rmaa last night, playing with it now.

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no im not that stupid.

maybe after a few largers.

hey have you got both players? what do u think???

forget about the volume. i use the same track, on moderate level volume so theres no funny business with the signal. all eq effects off. flat eq. I just listen to the player. I listen for bumps in the mids....highs and lows...or recession, I then listen for distortion. I then play the same track on my sony, teclast, pc etc...

I downloaded rmaa last night, playing with it now.

Forget about the volume? Seriously? That's the MOST important factor when trying to subjectively judge sound quality. Even 2dB difference in level can dramatically alter your perception of quality.

I have the SL coming, looking forward to listening to it with my new RE2's!

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's interesting cause there are not many reviews of the SL version. How would you compare the SQ of the SL version to a Sony S61x or A81x?

The sony sounds better than the meizu. Sound signatures are similar.

sony has an increased high and low end with slightly recessed mids
meizu has an increased low end and seemingly flat mids and highs

The sony sound is crisp and vibrant, more alive
The Meizu sound is more generic
However the sony has this electronic haze to the music and really harsh highs...not to mention the hiss.
Hiss is less on the meizu and no electronic haze or harsh highs
Although as a player the sony has much better sound, build and interface. Also its more reliable
But if you occasionally want to amp your player and like upped lows....meizu works better

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

However the sony has this electronic haze to the music and really harsh highs...not to mention the hiss.
Although as a player the sony has much better sound, build and interface. Also its more reliable
But if you occasionally want to amp your player and like upped lows....meizu works better

Reading this post, I'm slightly confused.

You seem to contradict yourself throughout the post. You say in one sentence that the Sony sounds better, but then go on to say that the Sony has an 'electronic haze', harsh highs, and hiss and also report the Meizu has none of this. You still prefer the Sony?

What ear/head phones are you using, what signal source are you using, are you matching levels of the players? All these things come into play when you are subjectively judging the quality of something. I'm not arguing personal preference, but if you state that something sounds better...you need to give more facts and at least take the most basic of steps to accurately compare.

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 17
signal source? the sony player? and the meizu player?

No portable player is even close to hi-fidelity.My point is They ALL have their imperfections! I have owned a Sony player much longer than I have owned a Meizu.So I have been able to identify its shortcomings over the period that I have owned it. My Meizu is one week old....and as I said. Im still playing with RMAA. My listening tests are loaded with d1001, dt770 pro, im716 and atrio.

No contradiction, portables all have imperfections. I just havnt had the meizu long enough to speculate.

All portable players have some degree of hiss. Most of them just are not noticable. Yes even with the harsh highs, the hiss and the recession of mids the sony sound is still better. Its the same with the hd5 ... which is a legendary player here on head-fi... lots of hiss recession in mids , bumped high end and low end. and the haze...however still a legendary player.

In this post I wrote the below about the sony players.
(This was prior to purchasing a meizu)

the sony nwz series of walkmans all have extremely good sonics.

They have a slightly increased low end out of the box. not by much, but enough that its noticable. they also have upped highs...again not by much and flat all be it slightly recessed mids. recessed but they are there and noticable when you are listening to music. mods are usually done in the service menu to bring the highs down to flat as some people think they are a bit harsh. bass is kept as it is out iof the box usually, although there is a very effective bass equalizer setting called 'clear bass'

here is an example of what i mean

fr.png

Rap and dance sound phenominal with this player. Jass is also good.

For rock, classical or some jazz a more balanced flat player would be more benneficial. Although a lot of people have noted that the player is perfect after playing around with the service menu settings. Beware...the s616 and a818 series isnt as customizable as later models ie a728.

Btw re: sony if you read Mavis's review of the HD3 back in 2004 he says basically the same thing about the warm sounding sonics of the sony player (HD3).

to quote him : Quote:

Anyway, the sound on the HD3 is, well ... interesting. It has much stronger and deeper bass than the iPod, but it also seems to have a more defined high-end. Meaning, it sounds very hollow, for lack of a better word. It's like the mid-range is lacking - good lows and good highs, but not very balanced at all. If you use the EQ to drop the bass and the high end, it helps to balance it out a bit, but I really wish this thing just had a 7 band EQ so I could have my low end AND a balanced mid-range + high-end. Oh well. Due to the way the EQ works, it's one or the other - good low-end at the expense of mids, or good high-end at the expense of mids. That said, the bass is GREAT - tight and deep - I can hear all the low frequency beats and stuff that I really missed with the iPod. It's just not very balanced.

The above indicates that sony network walkmans share the same audio codecs through their incarnations and model designs...as you would assume

but just to conclude...you really have to listen to this player. It is fantastic. Impressive ... right out of the box.

Ok can we get back to my original question about the SP and SL? anyone with both ?

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Okay great thks for this very clear explanation
smily_headphones1.gif
The Sony seems to be made for me, i've had the Clip for one year and although it's perfect for rock, pop and many other genres, it's a bit too flat for rap.
However concerning older Sony players i might disagree, i still have a Vaio Pocket and it has a very flat sound compared to the Clip, especially for high end. It also have terrible hiss with the D1001, so now i keep it only to use it with an amp and speakers.

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

signal source? the sony player? and the meizu player?

No portable player is even close to hi-fidelity.My point is They ALL have their imperfections! I have owned a Sony player much longer than I have owned a Meizu.So I have been able to identify its shortcomings over the period that I have owned it. My Meizu is one week old....and as I said. Im still playing with RMAA. My listening tests are loaded with d1001, dt770 pro, im716 and atrio.

No contradiction, portables all have imperfections. I just havnt had the meizu long enough to speculate.

All portable players have some degree of hiss. Most of them just are not noticable. Yes even with the harsh highs, the hiss and the recession of mids the sony sound is still better. Its the same with the hd5 ... which is a legendary player here on head-fi... lots of hiss recession in mids , bumped high end and low end. and the haze...however still a legendary player.

In this post I wrote the below about the sony players.
(This was prior to purchasing a meizu)

the sony nwz series of walkmans all have extremely good sonics.

They have a slightly increased low end out of the box. not by much, but enough that its noticable. they also have upped highs...again not by much and flat all be it slightly recessed mids. recessed but they are there and noticable when you are listening to music. mods are usually done in the service menu to bring the highs down to flat as some people think they are a bit harsh. bass is kept as it is out iof the box usually, although there is a very effective bass equalizer setting called 'clear bass'

here is an example of what i mean

fr.png

Rap and dance sound phenominal with this player. Jass is also good.

For rock, classical or some jazz a more balanced flat player would be more benneficial. Although a lot of people have noted that the player is perfect after playing around with the service menu settings. Beware...the s616 and a818 series isnt as customizable as later models ie a728.

Btw re: sony if you read Mavis's review of the HD3 back in 2004 he says basically the same thing about the warm sounding sonics of the sony player (HD3).

to quote him :

The above indicates that sony network walkmans share the same audio codecs through their incarnations and model designs...as you would assume

but just to conclude...you really have to listen to this player. It is fantastic. Impressive ... right out of the box.

Ok can we get back to my original question about the SP and SL? anyone with both ?

Did you do the attached graph? Perhaps you should test the output of them both like that, and see if it's perceptual or actual differences.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 17
yep thats what im setting up now.
dt880smile.png

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay great thks for this very clear explanation
smily_headphones1.gif
The Sony seems to be made for me, i've had the Clip for one year and although it's perfect for rock, pop and many other genres, it's a bit too flat for rap.
However concerning older Sony players i might disagree, i still have a Vaio Pocket and it has a very flat sound compared to the Clip, especially for high end. It also have terrible hiss with the D1001, so now i keep it only to use it with an amp and speakers.

wow ive never heard of the vaio pocket!

its not an nw (network walkman) line player, so its engineering and programming may be very different!

how does it sound?? is there a linout??

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

yep thats what im setting up now.
dt880smile.png

But anyway, I'm looking forward to your results.

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

wow ive never heard of the vaio pocket!

its not an nw (network walkman) line player, so its engineering and programming may be very different!

how does it sound?? is there a linout??

It's a 4 years old model so by this time Sony was making its entry on the mp3 market with the HD3 too. I guess you're right about how different both players might be, but i remember that the Vaio Pocket was considered as a very nice machine with a very analytical sound. Now it's kind of flat though if you compare it to a dynamic sounding player like the Clip or the Sony series, it lacks a lot of upped highs & bass.
The good point is that it has an included dock with a line out, and it sounds wonderfully detailed on speakers. It's so powerful that i have to turn down the sound of my Tivoli radio to the minimum when i use the Vaio Pocket on it
eek.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 17
I just received my MP6 SL and I'm blown away by the sound quality with the RE2's.

It has to be one of the very best 'cheap' combinations you can buy. 84 bucks for the 4GB meizu and 80 bucks for the RE2's (right now). 165 bucks is a steal for the sound quality.

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back