Meier Corda Classic/Matrix m-stage comparison
Mar 31, 2015 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

drdiem

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Before you say it, yes I know these two don't compete on price. I'm posting just to add data points for others considering either of these two amps since I've just upgraded from one to the other.

I've owned a Matrix m-stage for nearly two years now, paired initially with an HD650, then HD800 and finally an LCD-3. I was more than happy with it in truth, and only started looking at the Meier amp because I was interested in its crossfeed feature as an attempt to bring an enhanced soundstage to the LCD-3 (fond memories of the HD800 soundstage die hard).

The audio chain for these tests was MacBook Pro OS X 10.6, iTunes 10/BitPerfect 1.0.8 (Integer mode) using the SoX VHQ Minimum upsampling filter (for minimum pre-ringing at the cost of a smidgin of detail), running through the HRT microStreamer, the amp under test, and a pair of Audeze LCD-3Fs. All source material was lossless at a minimum of 44kHz/16 bit or higher. All comparisons were volume-balanced using pink noise and a smartphone-based dB meter.

The m-stage has a silent noise floor with all headphones I've plugged into it. It seems to be a well-studied design and if I'd never heard another amp I don't think I'd have thought to upgrade it until all surrounding components cost over $1000. Then I heard another amp 
rolleyes.gif

With all source material the same differences showed. The M-Stage is polite and well-controlled, but lacks fine detail at the top end and authority in the bass. The Corda Classic by comparison had more top-end air and that bit more thump low down. Now I will admit that I have not listened closely to any other headphone amp so I cannot make any absolute claims with respect to neutrality, but if pressed I would say that the m-Stage is a little restrained and drier but perhaps more neutral, whilst the Corda Classic has greater extension at both ends of the frequency spectrum, perhaps at the cost of absolute neutrality. One reference point is that given in Skylab's review of the Meier Corda Concerto (the Classic's predecessor), where his impression was that the top end was a little forward of neutral. This is not a criticism however; I personally find that the additional detail retrieval afforded by this more than makes up for wavering from strict neutrality.

On balance, I personally prefer the presentation of the Corda Classic. It's funny I think; when I embarked on my headphone audio odyssey two years ago I assumed I would be aiming for the most accurate, revealing setup I could afford. Having now owned the HD800 and done more reading about digital filters than is strictly sane I have begun to realise that in fact, involving musicality (that is to say, agreeably inaccurate distortion 
wink.gif
) is where my preference lies. I don't think I'll ever own a valve amp, but I'll also never be a sound engineer 
redface.gif

Hope this comparison helps someone in their own personal odyssey,

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back