Meier Audio Concerto vs Headamp Gilmore Lite w/ DPS
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thegr8brian

Head-Fier
So I've been reading quite a bit and have narrowed my search for a solid state amp. My goal is a "wire with gain", "revealing of the source" philosophy. So within my budget it seems that the best options seem to be the Headamp Gilmore Lite with the dedicated power supply or the Meier Audio Corda Concerto. I can't find any opinions from anyone who has heard both so if someone could offer some comparisons that would be great. Also I'd be happy to hear any other suggestions to this decision and opinions on the individual amps. Both are currently out of production so I am aware that I would need to buy used.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Bang for your buck the GLite...but if you want the "better" amp, I would say the Concerto by a reasonable margin. I have A-B'd them directly at home (though without the DPS) and the margin was enough that I could tell the DPS could not make that significant a change to catch up to the Meier amp.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:Originally Posted by MacedonianHero 

"Bang for your buck the GLite...but if you want the "better" amp, I would say the Concerto by a reasonable margin. I have A-B'd them directly at home (though without the DPS) and the margin was enough that I could tell the DPS could not make that significant a change to catch up to the Meier amp."

Believe him. He's Canadian! :D

Seriously I have had numerous conversations with MacedonianHero about this very topic. Let your budget be your guide. I had the GLite+DPS for a long time and it is an excellent amp. It's also a steal at typical street prices. MacedonianHero has had the Concerto for a while and continues to rave about it. It'll run you about 75% more than the GLite but if Peter says it's worth the premium, you'd be very happy with it. Skylab also praised the Concerto too. As have many Head-Fi'ers. Both amps should be the right choice.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 6

"Bang for your buck the GLite...but if you want the "better" amp, I would say the Concerto by a reasonable margin. I have A-B'd them directly at home (though without the DPS) and the margin was enough that I could tell the DPS could not make that significant a change to catch up to the Meier amp."

Seriously I have had numerous conversations with MacedonianHero about this very topic. Let your budget be your guide. I had the GLite+DPS for a long time and it is an excellent amp. It's also a steal at typical street prices. MacedonianHero has had the Concerto for a while and continues to rave about it. It'll run you about 75% more than the GLite but if Peter says it's worth the premium, you'd be very happy with it. Skylab also praised the Concerto too. As have many Head-Fi'ers. Both amps should be the right choice.

Since I will have to buy used if I want either one of these, the price difference seems to be even less than it was new. So I'm really hoping to find a concerto to buy. I guess my timing must be bad because both of these just went out of production.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:Originally Posted by thegr8brian 

"Since I will have to buy used if I want either one of these, the price difference seems to be even less than it was new. So I'm really hoping to find a concerto to buy. I guess my timing must be bad because both of these just went out of production."

Buying use is an excellent way to buy. The vast majority of Head-Fi'ers take very good care of their gear. The chances are it will be like new when you get it. Typically used the GLite runs about $450 with the DPS and the Concerto runs around $675. Look on the Sales Forum diligently and you'll find one. Good luck.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 6

LoL...thanks Ross.

Honestly, both are great amps. Sometimes I see the GLite go up for $200 ish...at this price, it is a STEAL considering the performance you get. Used, the Concertos go for about $550ish. Is the Concerto twice as good? Not even close. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back