Meet at Bozebuttons
Jul 20, 2008 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

nikongod

DIY-ku
[size=large]Impressions: Meet at Bozebuttons (New York)[/size]

Many thanks to Bozebuttons for letting us plug in and listen to his gear.

I suppose i should start with a gear list:

Headphones:
ED-9
R10
HE-90 (2 actually)
he-60
omega 2
Hp1
Hp2 (2)
Hp3
Ps-1
RS-1 (3 headphones: 2 different brown headbands, 1 newer production)

probably a few more.

Amps:
Cary 300sei headphone amp only
Kgss electrostatic
Es-1 (although not running full tilt)
Supra
Melos sha-maestro maestrobator
EC zana-deux
RS Apache
rudistor 5.1
krell amp

sources:
I dont remember! lol the G-08 I remember.

impressions to follow in the morning

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 33
CIMG0019.jpg

CIMG0021-1.jpg

CIMG0022.jpg

CIMG0023.jpg

CIMG0024.jpg

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 33
cimg0036ffy1.jpg

CIMG0037.jpg

CIMG0038.jpg

CIMG0040.jpg

CIMG0041.jpg

Special thanks to Tom for giving us his house, his equipment, and most importantly, giving me my Carvel Ice Cream Cake (yum...my favorite!!
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 33
cool pics Aaron - esp. the cake. happy birthday
smily_headphones1.gif

The Gear good times tonight. lots of great gear and listening. the gear for just a handful of people was very impressive. although it was mostly all bozebutton's. he is a meet unto himself. a quick rundown of the goodies: HE90 (2), HE60, O2, R10, 010, PS1, HP1, HP2 (2), HP3, RS1 (3), SR325 (woody), SR225 (woody), GS1000 (prototype), K1000, Ed9, HD650, DT770; ES1, HEV90, KGSS, Cary 300B, Zana Deux, Supra (toaster style), RSA Apache, Melos (heavily modded), Krell, Some Rudistor; Emm Labs, Meridian G08, Modded Sony Player, something else; and more. lots of gear . . .

Rd 1 for me the meet was divided into two parts. in the first half, we (or I) just walked around and tried everything out. really just got familiar with the gear. i didn't do any real listening or comparisons at this point. was more just curious - jumping from one station to another, constantly switching headphones between tracks or mid track. lot of listening, but i can't really say i had any opinions or impressions at that point. then we broke for lunch -- greasy pizza. yum. : ) and cake. more yum. after we chatted for a bit and rested our ears, we started round two. this is where i started to do some critical listening.

Grados i spent a lot of time with the modded Melos. this is suppose to be an ideal amp for grados. i listened to the whole line up. First, the PS1. it is a very nice headphone - both in terms of look and sound. it is a bit heavy but otherwise fits very well. the bass is excellent - very full bodied and with good impact. on the Melos, the bass is controlled. boze said that on some amps, the bass can sound a bit sloppy. there is a lot of bass (it is prominent and somewhat forward) but on the Melos, it is not overpowering. the resolution was excellent as well and everything comes through clearly when paired with an amp that handle the bass properly. this was one of my favorite headphones at the meet. i now wish i had tried the PS1 on something else to see how it fared, but for some reason i did not. i then switched to the HP1000. in comparison, the sound seemed a bit thin and the bass rather small and weak. things were a bit crisper but the contrast between the two was rather stark. i wrote about the HP1000 elsewhere, as i recently had borrowed a pair and liked them very much (Asr's balanced HP2), but the PS1 seemed a more pleasing experience. the 3 HP1000s for the most part sounded the same. the HP1 was a little different but not much and i'm not even sure i could tell you in what respect. Next were the RS1s. there were three - a very old pair (gold lettering and italic font), a vintage but less old pair (tan headband), and then a non vintage pair with buttons (that was mine). the vintage definitely sounded better than the non. just an overall smoother and warmer sound. but the non vintage still sounded very good and was a step up from the 325. the 325 and 225 have the typical grado sound signature - punchy, upfront, slightly aggressive and maybe even a tad bright. great for rock and guitar and generally a fun headphone (at least for a quick session). what the higher end grados do is to take that signature and refine/elevate it. the RS1 is smoother and warmer. the PS1 adds better bass and resolution. the HP1000 gives great detail and better instrument separation. yet all are still upfront in their presentation and with a narrow sound stage. if the PS1 and HP1000 are 2 poles (lush v. analytical), then the RS1 seems to fall in the middle. that's how i viewed them. one vintage RS1 was balanced (Ari's pair) and from the Apache produced an especially pleasing, rich and textured sound. really an excellent combo. i gave the GS1000 (rare prototype model) a listen too. it sounded okay - very spacious and generally unlike the other grados. but i don't really care for this model that much, so didn't spend much time with it.

Stats & R10 the rest of the time was spent with the electrostatics and R10. the R10 was used with the Cary 300B. the Cary is a wonderful tube amp. this model had some upgrades and a DACT volume control. the R10 (and RS1) sounded great from it. the sound stage on the R10 has got to be the best ever made. just wide and big and loads of detail to fill its space. you hear things - details and other stuff - off to the side that you don't hear, or hear but not well, with other headphones. how it manages this, i'm not sure, but the R10 does micro detail without being analytical or sterile. it is probably one of the main reasons that people hold it in such high regard. i listened to the R10 a fair deal. definitely one to own, assuming you can find and afford it. on to the HE90. the HE90/HEV90 is probably one of the best combinations i have ever heard. if i had this setup (with a killer source of course, such as the emm labs, which it was hooked up to), i would never feel the need or have the desire for something else. i just don't think i would ever get bored of it or find it lacking. it think its forte is classical, but it sounded amazing with rock (indigo girls and regina spektor) as well. not sure how it would fair with heavier stuff. one CD i listened to carefully was Bach's violin concertos (and concerto for oboe and violin) with Hilary Hahn. Just so perfect with the HE90. the sound stage is of good quality (not huge though like the R10) but the vertical space is incredible. it seems to go so high. on the oboe/violin concerto, the notes from the oboe seemed to float from way up above. just float and slowly fall down. and the violin was so right with great precision and crispness. on the R10, which has a bigger overall sound stage although not the height of the HE90, the music was richer and the violin had vibrato (or resonance) to it, which was somewhat missing on the HE90. the HE90 and R10 are both great, but i preferred the HE90 overall. i am very curious how the R10 improves balanced and on an even better amp. that would be an interesting comparison. the HE60 shares a lot of the same qualities of the HE90, but the HE90 is much better. the HE90 has a larger sound stage, better bass, more detail, greater separation - it is just better in *all* respects. and this says a lot b/c i think the HE60 is better than a lot of headphones. the HE60 and HE90 sounded better on the HEV90 than the KGSS. the HE90 improved more which is probably a testament to how well it scales. with the HE60 the biggest difference was the increased sound stage. they just open up and this adds a lot. the HE60 although not in the same league as its big brother is still great. it is such an enjoyable and engaging headphone that once you put it on, it is really hard to take off (assuming there is no HE90 around to persuade you). the O2 is very different from the HE60/90 (seemed slower and more laid back). it wasn't a great match with the HEV90. sounded better on the KGSS. ideally we would have mated it with the ES1 (or BH, if we had one), but running all the amps at once was causing problems so we decided to shut down the ES1 early. i have an O2, so didn't spend much time with it.

Other Stuff there was also an 010 (Qualia). it was a small and still didn't fit me well. didn't listen to it much. gave the K1000 a quick session. just not really into these things. not owning speakers and listening only to headphones, the K1000 seems just a bit odd to me. i don't really consider them to be headphones - more two small speakers attached to the side of your head. listened again to the Ed.9 from the Supra. they sounded okay. nothing that interesting though. maybe i should have tried them with the modded chinese amp. that seemed to be a hit. i didn't listen to the ZD that much or the Krell amp, Ari's modded chinese amp, or the Rudistor. generally i had a hard time pulling myself away from the Melos + Grados, the R10 + Cary and of course the HE90/HEV90. the latter was definitely was favorite setup. if i had 15k to spend, that is how i would spend it. it was that good.

thanks again boze for inviting us to your home. it was a great treat to hear so much quality gear in a relatively quiet environment and for an extended period of time. it was fun too hanging out with the other head-fiers, all nice guys.

vcoheda

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 33
Awesome collection of headphone gear you guys had there.
Looks like a lot of fun!
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 33
Quick impressions on my part

First of all, thanks to boze for having us at his house and being such a generous host. The pizza and the cake was great!
smily_headphones1.gif

My favorite rigs of the meet were the Cary + R10. It just played music. It wasnt as resolving as some of the electrostatic headphones but it just pulled me in. The O2 + KGSS rig was also very good. I think it was just the right mix of resolution and musicality. The HE90 + HEV90 was on the same level as the O2 + KGSS but the HE90 is just a lot more resolving and open compared to the O2. The two grado rigs that were fantastic were the very very vintage RS-1 and the Krell amp, I could have sat and listened to that set up the whole day. And the modded Melos + the HP-2 was another great set up. It just let the HP-2's do its thing. The edition 9's werent my cup of tea, nor were the qualias. The Zana did a decent job of running most phones but with the HP-2s they did a great job, but not as good as the Melos imo.

More impressions to come later on as I remember them

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impressive list of gear - and do I see an L3000 headband on an RS1?!

Nope, the original RS-1 had a brown headband. Im not 100% sure why mine is lighter than all of the other brown-headband RS-1 though. I sometimes bring them to meets and they are totally worth listening to.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow great gear list can't wait to hear impressions. If you heard what I have in the past the new rs1 is a shell of it's former self, did you guys compare them?

I dint compare the 2 tooooo much at this meet, but from past meets, that is the conclusion. The new ones are definitely different from the old ones, with my preference certainly going to the old ones. I think Bozebuttons liked them quite well with the apache, perhaps more than my HP-2 from it too.

My big listening fun at this meet was the ED-9 and the qualia 010.

The last time I heard the ED-9 was at the great R10 mini meet last year: same pair but with only about 10 hours on them. Suffice it to say that they have broken in well since then. At the first meet, my impressions were not entirely great, with a weird overemphasis in the bass that caused the image of a cello to break-up and move front to back in the soundstage. In an effort to hear them on a rig I am totally familiar with, I ran them off of my 708B amp because it was off by itself near the very comfy couch and other people were using the supra. I must say they were ROCKING off of this little amp. The sound from them was good with great overall balance from all of the other amps I tried, but this little guy just matched up with them and they were singing. I tried the ED9 off of the rudistor 5.1, and was not overly impressed. They just didnt get me into the music like the other combos did.

im not sure what to say about the qualia that has not already been said. Most of it is true: they sounded thin, squeeky, and bright when I first put them on. Moving them around and finding "the spot" pulled up the bass and just brought everything together correctly. These are easily the most "position sensitive" headphones I have ever worn. They are solid, and I want a set.

I also listened to the HP-1 on both the Zana-deux and Bozebuttons "uber maestrobator" melos. I think that the melos is still the "most best" hp-1000 amp by a wide margin, but the zana had its merits for these funky headphones. The melos had the synergy with the hp1 going full tilt, the impact on the bass was perfectly balanced with the sound of the bass and everything else effortlessly fit into place. Tee combo is certainly one where you dont stop to listen to the gear: you listen to the music. I think the Zana was a little lacking for bass control on these headphones. nothing unpleasant or unacceptable by any stretch of the word, but if I were to make a 1-headphone system and had to choose between these 2 for the hp-1000 the choice is pretty clear to me. The soundstage was a hair narrower on the melos than the zana, but the hp1000 are not known for this. I did not listen to much else with the melos, but the Zana had great sound with everything else too. Really quite nice. I spent a decent chunk of time with the Zana and the qualias, and they certainly got in the groove quickly.

I spent some time with the Krell amp that i didnt buy off of ebay last week
wink.gif
The sound with the RS-1 was very good indeed. Not quite up to standards of melos/hp1000 synergy but certainly holding its own for a synergistic system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back