MEE Audio RX18 Review and Information Thread
Apr 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25
The MEE Audio RX18P was sent to me from MEE Audio with the intention to compare it to some of the most popular Chinese budget offerings and let Mike know the result of my findings. The idea was not really to do a full review but since I think it deserves more attention I choose to do it anyway. I’d like to thank MEE Audio and Mike for sending me the sample. The price at the time of this review was $6,99 for the version without a mic and $9,99 with mic.

The RX18 is available from the MEE Audio website and many other places:
http://www.meeaudio.com/rx18-bk

http://www.meeaudio.com/RX18P-BK/

I’m not in any way affiliated with MEE Audio.

Built and accessories:
The MEE Audio RX18 is a single dynamic IEM featuring a 10mm driver. They’re available in five different colors (black, white, pink, purple and light blue) both with and without a microphone. The one I’ve got is the version with microphone in black.

The cable is ok and quite typical at this price point. It does carry some microphonics but not more than average. The 3.5 mm connector has a 90 degree angle which I personally like.

The build in general seem solid without being anything extra. The housings are all plastic but still feel quite sturdy and reliable.

The L/R marking is black on black on my pair and although not the most easy to spot it still works ok. I’d have preferred the marking to be easier to see by using another color/colors that he one on the housing. On the other hand the design makes them fit correct one way only so it’s not a big deal.

The retail package is a standard one for low price IEM’s to be sold in major stores. Nothing fancy but rather what one would expect at this price point.

The accessories pack is in line with the pricing and features nothing more than 3 pairs of silicon tips (S,M,L).

The RX18’s are quite easy to drive and worked very well with all the sources I’ve tried it with including cellphones.

The specs:
Housing
Plastic
Driver Unit
Dynamic 10 mm
Frequenzy range
20Hz-20KHz
Sensitivity
98dB
Impedance
16 Ohms
Weight
3 g
Cable lenght
1,2 m

Fit and ergonomics:
I find the RX18’s to be very comfortable and got no problem wearing them for several hours. They are deigned to be worn straight down but can be worn over the ears as well all though looking a little awkward.

Isolation is above average.

Sound:
I’ve used them on and off for the last six weeks now and they’ve played for well over 100 hours. I’ve used them both around the house, when travelling and when out and about and I haven’t really found any significant weaknesses in the way they’re designed.

I’ve used them primarily with my LG G3 phone but I’ve also tried it with other sources and they’ve worked well with all of them.

For this review I’ve used them with the medium stock tips..

Demo list:
Mark Knopfler – Sailing to Philadelphia
Røyksopp (Feat.Susanne Sundfør) – Save Me
Ane Brun – These Days
Michael Jackson – Dirty Diana
Metallica – Die Die My Darling
The Peter Malick Group – Immigrant
Eva Cassidy – Songbird
Thomas Dybdahl – A Lovestory
Norah Jones – Don’t Know Why
Celldweller – Unshakeable
Jack Johnson – Better Together
Seinabo Sey – Younger (Kygo remix)
Dire Straits- So Far Away
Tracy Chapman – Baby can I hold you
Lupe Fiasco - Deliver
Morrissey – Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
Adele - Hello

The overall sound signature on the MEE Audio RX18 is pretty well balanced with an warm, soft and smooth presentation.

The sub-bass extension and presence is a bit subdued and the character is slightly on the soft side. . Mid-bass presence is enough to give the sound an engaging character and good drive with pop music but not (as so often I this price class) causing a lot of bleed into the upper frequencies. The overall bass presence is still enough for them to be enjoyable with all kind of music.  

The midrange is well in line with the rest of the frequencies and only slightly recessed, the lower midrange a bit more so than the upper. Male vocals sounds full and female voices are smooth and natural sounding.
The treble is thick and smooth but rolls off a bit earlier than I’d have preferred ideally.

Clarity and resolution is not the RX18’s biggest assets but I wasn’t expecting that at this price point either. Soundstage width is decent and the full and lush presentation gives a good sense of 3D imaging.   

Summary:
The MEE Audio RX18p is one dirt cheap IEM that offers a more than acceptable sound that will be a good upgrade from a number of stock IEM’s that comes together with smart phones.

Although they’re not the greatest I’ve heard in resolution their very easy going, laid back and lush presentation without overwhelming bass offers a very non-fatiguing listening experience. To me they’re a great alternative to many sub $15 Chinese no brand offerings that (if your in the US) will be able to take their place in your ears in a day or two after ordering them. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 25
In this post I will post comparisons between the most popular budget Chinese brands offerings at the moment and in the future.

Mee Audio RX18 ($7,99 or $9,99 for the version with a microphone):
Short impressions: Warm, intimate, fairly well balanced with a bass boost, smooth treble as well as overall presentation.

The build is all plastic and, although sturdy, gives quite a cheap feeling.

Rock Zircon ($12):
The Zircon’s got a lot more bass that’s overwhelming the other frequencies quite a bit. They’re brighter and more airy but also have a more spiky treble. The Zircon’s are a classic v-shape with a carpet of bass and bright exaggerated highs. The midrange is also quite recessed as usual with this kind of tuning.  The RX18 is more intimate and much better balanced across the spectrum. They’re also smoother and warmer.

Materials and build of the Zircon’s gives a feeling of higher quality with ceramic housing and a better quality cable.

KZ ED9 ($12):
The KZ ED comes with two tuning filters that make quite a big difference to the sound. The brass filter that I’ve been using in this comparison is the most balanced of the two while the other filters are more bassy and v-shaped.

The ED9’s have higher resolution, more airy sound with a wider soundstage.  They also have less and tighter bass.

The build of the ED9’s gives a feeling of better quality with lightweight metal housing and a more sturdy cable.

Xiaomi Piston 2.0 ($16):
The Piston’s are brighter with better resolution and details. They’ve also got more bass quantity, especially mid-bass, that intrudes quite a bit to the other frequencies. The Pistons are also livelier but also have a thinner midrange due to their classical bright v-shaped signature.

The build of the Piston’s feel better and the materials more exclusive with aluminum housings and a clothed lower part of the cable.

YINJW DIY IE800 ($15):
Compared to the RX18 the YINJW’s have better resolution, better details and a wider soundstage. Soundstage width is greater while depth is similar. Bass quantity and quality is also pretty similar with the YINJW’s sub bass reaching lower.

The build and material (ceramic/metal housings) of the YINJW feels more premium.

**** UE ($16 without cable):
The UE’s have both more and better quality bass. They’re also brighter and have a much wider soundstage without losing out in depth. In comparison the RX18’s is more balanced but also more congested sounding with more boomy mid-bass.

The overall build with acrylic housing of good quality and detachable cables is more preium on the UE’s.

KZ HDS-1 ($8):
The HDS-1’s has better resolution and clarity while bass quantity is similar with the RX18’s having slightly better quality. Once again the RX18’s are darker and more congested despite having an overall more balanced sound.

Both of these are all plastic and honestly feels pretty cheap with the HDS-1 having a bit nicer design.

Summary:
The Mee Audio RX18P does loose out to all the competitors when it comes to design, materials and resolution.

It’s better balanced that all the others though and despite being intimate and a bit on the dark side they still perform very well in comparison to a lot of the others.

My ranking would look like this:
  • **** UE
  • YINJW DIY IE800
  • KZ ED9
  • Mee Audio RX18
  • Xiaomi Piston 2.0
  • KZ HDS-1
  • Rock Zircon

If the RX18’s would have had a bit better resolution and slightly less mid-bass bloom they’d certainly been able to put up a fight to a lot of much higher priced offerings. Still, despite its shortcomings, they’re still the best sub $10 IEM I’ve come across this far and loses out to only the top tier sub $20 Chinese IEM’s I’ve heard.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 25
I'm really surpised with the little coverage these excellent budget gems seem to have here on Head-Fi but here I'll try to collect links to the other reviews posted here on them.

So far @twister6 :

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mee-audio-rx18-comfort-fit-in-ear-headphones-with-enhanced-bass-black/reviews/14905

and @keanex  :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793870/review-meeaudio-rx18-a-decent-budget-iem

are the only two I can find. Hopefully many more will be added to this post in the furture. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 25
  I'm really surpised with the little coverage these excellent budget gems seem to have here on Head-Fi but here I'll try to collect links to the other reviews posted here on them.

So far @twister6 :

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mee-audio-rx18-comfort-fit-in-ear-headphones-with-enhanced-bass-black/reviews/14905

and @keanex  :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793870/review-meeaudio-rx18-a-decent-budget-iem

are the onlt two I can find. Hopefully many more will be added to this post in the furture. 

Absolutely agree, I have been recommending them to a lot of people.  They usually go for $7-$8 on amazon, and one heck of a value, plus a surprisingly good sound, especially the bass (my daughter absolutely loves these, the only IEM she currently uses despite her access to my review collection).

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 25

Absolutely agree, I have been recommending them to a lot of people.  They usually go for $7-$8 on amazon, and one heck of a value, plus a surprisingly good sound, especially the bass (my daughter absolutely loves these, the only IEM she currently uses despite her access to my review collection).

Nice Alex! Yes, these are totally in the shadows of some other (mostly Chinese) budget offerings although they don't perform any worse than them on average and are much more easily (and especially faster) available in the US.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 25
Nice Alex! Yes, these are totally in the shadows of some other (mostly Chinese) budget offerings although they don't perform any worse than them on average and are much more easily (and especially faster) available in the US.

Thanks Peter & @Twister6! I just ordered a pair for comparison purposes. I really would like to hook up with MEE Audio to do more reviews. I love my M6 Pro's and Pinnacle P1's. Just gems in my book.

May 2, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 25

Dang fellas, nice reviews and rated right behind the ED9 I may have to give them a shot for this price! I've watched the Mee W1 come up a couple time on MassD and thought about trying a pair of their iem's so maybe these will be my entry to Mee
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

May 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 25
Dang fellas, nice reviews and rated right behind the ED9 I may have to give them a shot for this price! I've watched the Mee W1 come up a couple time on MassD and thought about trying a pair of their iem's so maybe these will be my entry to Mee:wink_face:

:beerchug:

Heya Tim, I know you really need a new iem :wink:

JK, but these are indeed great budget offering with a smooth and warm sound but without overwhelming bass. Quite unique at this price range imo.

May 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 25
Heya Tim, I know you really need a new iem
wink.gif

JK, but these are indeed great budget offering with a smooth and warm sound but without overwhelming bass. Quite unique at this price range imo.

Right
blink.gif

But like that big Catfish just under that rock watching a fat worm go by I had to
eek.gif
LOL Just gave me a reason to shove a few more of the old KZ's into the boys backup box
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

May 2, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 25
Right:blink:

But like that big Catfish just under that rock watching a fat worm go by I had to:eek: LOL Just gave me a reason to shove a few more of the old KZ's into the boys backup box:wink_face:

:beerchug:

Ha ha, true dat :wink:

That's kind of the problem in here: there's always a reason, lol

May 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 25
Ha ha, true dat
wink.gif

That's kind of the problem in here: there's always a reason, lol

No to mention my weak (really weak) justification system
redface.gif
I'm now laughing so hard I think I'm crying
blink.gif

Ready, willing and enabled
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 25
No to mention my weak (really weak) justification system:xf_eek: I'm now laughing so hard I think I'm crying:blink:

Ready, willing and enabled:beerchug:

LOL! In here we're all weak (really weak) :wink:

May 3, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 25

Look what came in the mail today? So far pretty impressed for $7, shipped. We will have to wait and see if "Bass Enhanced" is true to the markings.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #15 of 25
Lol. I was thinking about buying these but not if no one is talking about them. That says a lot.

Well, the reason that rx18 isn't getting talked about is probably because meeAudio is not a Chinese brand, hence we can't talk about it in chinese iem thread(which contain about 90% of discussion about budget iem).

Honestly though, i find rx18 to be better than most chinese iem at the similar price, if you like philips she3590, you should like this since it basically a less v-shape she3590. I also feel that this iem is going in same direction as philips she3800 earbud in sound signature. So just get this thing since you can just buy it from amazon and delivered to your door in 3 days, its worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back