MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Apr 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #856 of 3,265
When I had the FLC8S reviewer sample last month, I took it to a local store and compared it to the P1. 

They were very similar in terms of SQ and P1 pulled ahead in driver coherency so I purchased the P1 right there. 

I also tried PSB  M4U 4 and preferred more neutral sounding P1 over it.  

I've had and much enjoyed FLC8S for quite some time. Once P1 is burned in, I'll see if we agree.
:beerchug:

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #857 of 3,265
Heard this at a local store which is probably quite well burned in. Really some serious good stuff here that I'm hearing! Punches way well above its price. It does require some serious power to drive it up properly. A dedicated DAP will suffice without a need to tug an amp around.

One of the best dynamics driver I've heard next to IE800. Sub bass rumble is present but not as deep as IE800 nor in terms of quantity. But it is still highly respectable. Goes deeper than SE846.

Vocals are nicely done too! Isn't portrayed as forward as SE846 but more full bodied than IE800. Probably sounded similar to Noble 6 rendition but with better texture and details retrieval.

Highs is another strong point here. Probably due to a well burned in unit, I hear no sibilance present and the highs does bring out clarity and excellent details retrieval. It is more forgiving than IE800. I feel that the highs can only go smoother with more burn in.

A serious challenge to the highly rated FLC8S which performance outweighs its price too!
Amazing when we can say it's comparable to the ie800 and se846 and it costs hundreds of dollars less!

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #858 of 3,265
I've had and much enjoyed FLC8S for quite some time. Once P1 is burned in, I'll see if we agree.
:beerchug:

Great to see you here! I'd say the FLC8S is tuned for a more mainstream sound, while the P1 has a very special sig that deserves a place in anyone's collection. It's smooth, yet the thin and quick note attack provides so much detail. Like my buddy puts it it's like "daggers being thrown through a velvet curtain".

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #859 of 3,265
Great to see you here! I'd say the FLC8S is tuned for a more mainstream sound, while the P1 has a very special sig that deserves a place in anyone's collection. It's smooth, yet the thin and quick note attack provides so much detail. Like my buddy puts it it's like "daggers being thrown through a velvet curtain".

Your buddy is very poetic :wink:

Burning the P1 in with L3 still. Have been gradually increasing the volume. Should be ready to rock soon \m/ \m/

And perhaps we just have our FLC8S configured for a more mainstream sound. Throw clear, clear, green on there :p

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #860 of 3,265
Your buddy is very poetic
wink.gif

Burning the P1 in with L3 still. Have been gradually increasing the volume. Should be ready to rock soon \m/ \m/

And perhaps we just have our FLC8S configured for a more mainstream sound. Throw clear, clear, green on there
tongue.gif

red clear gold for me
tongue.gif

personally speaking, the mids of flc8s is way ahead of p1

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #861 of 3,265
red clear gold for me :p
personally speaking, the mids of flc8s is way ahead of p1

I can see your comment regarding mids. Out of the box, P1 had that restrained/refined mid sound I'm used to with upper tier IEM I've tried out. Not as full as FLC8S.

Once P1 are burned in, I'm curious how they'll sound next to my fully burned in RHA T20. Similar price. Both single DD.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #862 of 3,265
I can see your comment regarding mids. Out of the box, P1 had that restrained/refined mid sound I'm used to with upper tier IEM I've tried out. Not as full as FLC8S.

Once P1 are burned in, I'm curious how they'll sound next to my fully burned in RHA T20. Similar price. Both single DD.

yeap it always musical and spacious VS technical
i prefer the former
tongue.gif

but fi-ba-ss addresses this by bringing out the best of both worlds hehe

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #863 of 3,265
Been listening to these for about a week and have some thoughts.

Packaging is some of the best I've ever seen regardless of price. Really makes the purchaser feel like they've got something nice. 

Build quality of shells and cables, again, some of the best I've encountered. Including two of those amazing cables is quite generous.

Absolutely not a fan of the sound. Been comparing them to my EQ'ed E30's and there isn't a question as to which I prefer.

Also, the shells are heavy enough that they don't stay properly in my ear when worn over-ear.

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #865 of 3,265
I'm loving these a lot! Plugged into my phone they sound great, but I heard them through a Fiio E18 dac/amp...even better!! Bass improved and clarity improved even more. With the bass boost on the bass improves dramatically, minor loss of clarity though (at least from my 10 minute listen session with the E18). I bought the smaller Fiio Q1, I'm sure it'll sound just as good as the E18

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #866 of 3,265
Your buddy is very poetic
wink.gif

And perhaps we just have our FLC8S configured for a more mainstream sound. Throw clear, clear, green on there
tongue.gif

My buddy has my FLC8 since... January. P1 is a very nice stop-gap to have. I burnt in mine for 100 hours, this is what I think so far.

Bass FLC > P1
Mids FLC > P1
Treble P1 > FLC
Soundstage P1 > FLC
Imaging FLC > P1

A crazy close fight, and at the price point the P1 is crazy not to have!

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #867 of 3,265
Out of curiosity, did anyone happen to own the Sony MH1-C? The reason I ask is I happened upon the large tips that came with that IEM and so like anyone else decided to see how these would do for the sound. I'm quite happy to report I've personally settled on these as opposed to the large single flange that it came with over the spiral dots (again large) as well as any of the other tips that it came with. Now they sit shallow rather than being deeply inserted. I get more kick from the kick drum and slam from the bass. I was quite surprised, however if anyone happens to have those tips laying around do me the favor and see how they do once you get a good proper seal.
One additional thing I noticed is that the drums and vocals in songs are more evenly presented with the crash of cymbals. With the spiral dots, vocals were a little recessed, bass improved but the highs took a back seat. The large single flange they came with did better to bring up the sub bass presence however, the crash of cymbals still didn't sound even with the other frequencies. Again with the MH1C tips I was surprised of their success, since if I am not mistaken these IEMs were made with the intention of being deeply inserted into the ear canal, no?

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #868 of 3,265

My buddy has my FLC8 since... January. P1 is a very nice stop-gap to have. I burnt in mine for 100 hours, this is what I think so far.

Bass FLC > P1
Mids FLC > P1
Treble P1 > FLC
Soundstage P1 > FLC for me its the other way round
tongue.gif

Imaging FLC > P1

A crazy close fight, and at the price point the P1 is crazy not to have!

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #869 of 3,265

I miss my FLC8. That was by memory. Hope to do a head to head once I get them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back