Mee AF32 Airfi Bluetooth Portables
Mar 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dziendobry

500+ Head-Fier
Intro
Thanks to Joe from Meelec for the review pair.  This is the first pair of BlueTooth Headphones I have used or reviewed, although I have heard the K430’s, HT-21, KSC-75, and Yuin G2A.  They can be purchased through their website for $79.99 as well as Amazon and Newegg
Right now through 3/25 Newegg has them for $10 off with coupon code MEE319

Specs and Features
Features
  1. A2DP stereo Bluetooth for music playback and use as a headset with the built-in mic
  2. Conveniently located phone and music controls
  3. Ultra-soft ear pads and adjustable headband for extended wearing comfort
  4. Folds for convenient storage and comes with a travel bag
  5. Rich and dynamic sound with enhanced deep bass and great clarity from the acoustically advanced, high efficiency 40mm driver
  6. Convenient all-in-one design for simplicity and functionality
  7. 3.5mm audio jack for wired use
  8. Digital volume control
  9. Talk handsfree on your phone
  10. Voice dialing (if supported by your phone)
  11. Compatible with: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android phones, Android tablets, Windows phones, Macs, Bluetooth dongles, and other Bluetooth enabled devices
  1. 1 year manufacturer warranty*

Bluetooth Specifications:
  1. Bluetooth Version: Bluetooth Specification V2.1 + EDR
  1. Profile: Hands-free Profile (HFP) 1.5, Headset Profile (HSP) 1.1, Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.2, and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) 1.0
  1. Operating Range: 10 M
  1. Standby time:at least 100 hours
  1. Talk time: 10+ hours
  1. Music playing time: 12+ hours
  1. Charging time: 4 hours
  1. Charging cable: 3.5mm to USB

Headphone Specifications:
  1. Driver: 40 mm high performance drivers with neodymium magnets
  1. Frequency Response: 18Hz – 20KHz
  1. Sensitivity: 106 dB (1mW @ 1KHz)
  1. Impedance: 32 ohms
  1. Length of cable for wired use: 48 inches
  1. Weight: 115g
  1. Warranty: 1 year
  1. Ship Weight: 0.5 lb

Packaging, Build, and Fit

The build quality is solid, the buttons on the side, are raised and rock back and forth, easy to use once they are memorized.  The battery life of the headphones was shockingly good.  We were able to listen to music for the 12 hours that they are rated for between charges.  When they died on me during my trip to DC and I didn’t have the 3.5mm charging cable I simply plugged them in via the 3.5mm included cable.  There are markings on the inside of the headband to indicate left and right.  This is my only gripe is that they weren’t easily found, could just be me.  If you remember that the controls sit on your right ear it shouldn’t be an issue.  Screws hold the whole thing together and after 200 hours of use the screws were still as tight as when I first received the phones.  The earpads and headband pad is a faux leather material and is holding up very well.  No wear can be seen on the pads.  The foam of the ear pads is very cushy at first and settles into a flatter shape after some break in. They extend well to fit my melon head and my wife with a much smaller head than mine found the fit comfortable for extended listening.  The clamping force  is adequate and hasn’t been too tight..  They stay put while doing chores around the house and I didn’t worry about them falling off of my head when stooping down to pick up the mop bucket.

Accessories
Comes With:
  1. Charging cable
  1. Audio cable with 3.5mm jack
  1. Carrying pouch
  1. User manual

Burn in
I ran them plugged in via the 3.5 mm cord and burned them in for 50 hours no discernible changes were noted.

Listening/Sound Quality
I listened mainly to pandora from my BlackBerry 8520 device.  Some of my listening was done through my fuze as well as a sansa clip+.  When the phones are plugged directly into a source via 3.5mm cable they are in passive mode and don’t use the battery as they don’t need to be on.  
My listening habits this time around varied greatly, including classical, easy listening, american dubstep, drum and bass, and rock.
The quality is on par with any on ear or over ear that I have at my disposal, including the K430 and Sony MDR-7505, I think they are far better than the highly regarded HT-21 that is also made by Meelec.  I really look forward to see more reviews on these as they are a great sounding set of Bluetooth headphones. 

The highs are excellent and please me, I am a treble head.  No sibilance was detected, the details are well separated and defined.

Mids - vocals are upfront and not as V shaped as I first thought them to be.  Pleasant, accurate with a bit of added warmth.  

Bass is controlled, tight and doesn’t bleed into the mids at all.  It’s fast enough to keep up on most of rock and hard rock, by no means even close to a bass heavy headphone.  

The soundstage is average as they are a closed phone, instrument placement is spot on and they stay very clean on most busier tracks.

Calls/Controls
The calling functionality for making, and receiving calls works well.  The sound quality on both ends is impressive.  The mic quality is on par with my Jawbone 1st gen headset that I use regularly.  My wife used them with her android phone, listening to Pandora and 8tracks, she made and received calls and said that the built in controls worked flawlessly for her.

Isolation
The isolation is surprisingly very good.  I have never used a pair of on-ear phones that lay flat against my ears don’t use a cup like the HT-21 AKG K430.  At moderate volume levels while doing house work things must be thrown at me to gain my attention.  

Summary
A great quality bluetooth headphone from a company that knows how to make amazing products.  The controls work great, the call quality is outstanding, they isolate well, are comfortable and light enough to be worn for long periods of time.  Overall the sound is balanced, a welcome surprise in a bass heavy headphone world.  I would love to get my hands on a different manufacturer's bluetooth set of earphones so that I could do a side by side comparison of the two.  Wired they are a little bit harder to drive, however still sound good coming from my clip+ and adding an E6, E5, or E3 amp brings them right to how they sound via the active BT functionality.  For the price these are a great set of BT headphones that stand up well to daily wear and tear. 

*Please note that due to the complexity of Bluetooth products all defective units must be returned to MEElectronics for warranty service.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 12
Hello Dziendobry,

Thanks for the informative and hands on review. I am glad you commented on the isolation of these headphones. I am very interested in purchasing a pair for travelling around town and on the train. I am very concerned about sound isolation. I want to be able to hear my music without having to blast my headphones to do so, and I think from your description I would be ok with these. My other concern is sound leakage. Can you tell me if the headphones can be heard from people close by when you play them at medium to high volume levels? I want to be able to use them on the train, bus and some quiet places without disturbing fellow passengers and passers by. There is nothing more annoying than hearing the scratchy treble of someone elses headphones for an entire train journey! I have a pair of Jaybird Sportsband 2's and although the sound is very good for a bluetooth headphone, they are an open headphone and leak sound greatly. Great for the gym but I would be too self concious to take them on the train.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 12
I can do some testing with the wife tonight to be sure, however when she was rocking out with these around the house listening to dubstep and what not I was not able to hear them when standing within 5 feet of her.  Again when I get home tonight I will have her wear them, she listens to her music pretty loud.

Quote:
Hello Dziendobry,

Thanks for the informative and hands on review. I am glad you commented on the isolation of these headphones. I am very interested in purchasing a pair for travelling around town and on the train. I am very concerned about sound isolation. I want to be able to hear my music without having to blast my headphones to do so, and I think from your description I would be ok with these. My other concern is sound leakage. Can you tell me if the headphones can be heard from people close by when you play them at medium to high volume levels? I want to be able to use them on the train, bus and some quiet places without disturbing fellow passengers and passers by. There is nothing more annoying than hearing the scratchy treble of someone elses headphones for an entire train journey! I have a pair of Jaybird Sportsband 2's and although the sound is very good for a bluetooth headphone, they are an open headphone and leak sound greatly. Great for the gym but I would be too self concious to take them on the train.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 12
That would be great,

I would love to know if the sound leaks much or not before I buy a pair. I often feel quite self conscious when standing in a queue at a quiet post office or on the train when at a stop. I don't really blast my music in my headphones, they are usually at moderate, medium levels but I like to listen to them fairly loud at times.

Thank you Dziendobry, I would appreciate your views.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 12
I will get back to you tonight regarding the leakage.

Quote:
That would be great,

I would love to know if the sound leaks much or not before I buy a pair. I often feel quite self conscious when standing in a queue at a quiet post office or on the train when at a stop. I don't really blast my music in my headphones, they are usually at moderate, medium levels but I like to listen to them fairly loud at times.

Thank you Dziendobry, I would appreciate your views.

May 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 12
I had my wife listen to them last night at low comfortable and high levels, I started by sitting 3 feet away from her.  At 3 feet I could not hear any leakage at low and comfortable listening levels, at her "rocking out" volume I could hear the music, at 5 feet it was no longer a problem, especially with my son and step daughter playing in the other room.  I would say that they are on the same level as any other closed headphone of the same drivers size would be.

Hope this helps.

Paul

May 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 12
Paul,

That is great information. I think they will be prefect for my needs. I don't really listen to my headphones at major high volumes, so I really doubt anyone will hear The Foo Fighters leaking out of my ears. Thanks for different levels of testing. I hope your wife is ok being your crash tester!!

You have helped me make my decision and I appreciate it very much.

Dalsim

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 12
hi there i was wondering how is the isolation on trains and subway, i know you asked this question but it was it was tested only at home. i'd prefer to keep the volume at 50% or below during my commute to and from school. How did you find the isolation?

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 12
Hi Tom22,

I decided not to buy these headphones in the end as I saw a few reviews saying the isolation is not very good. One of my priorities (besides sound quality of course) was good sound isolation so I could use them in the same situations as you, on trains and public transport or quiet public places. It really annoys me when I hear the tinny sound of someones headphones on a train or somewhere quiet and I do not want to be that guy.

I have a pair of Jaybird Sportsband 2's which have really good sound quality but are very open and leak sound, so I would never wear them on the train but are great for walks, runs and in places need to be aware of my environment. I will stick with my wired pair of AKG K 480's for now, until I find an ideal pair of Bluetooth headphones.

I was really praying for the new iPhone 5 to have APT-X sound codec built in but no such luck! That would have opened the doors to some great sounding headphones.

Dalsim

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Hi Tom22,

I decided not to buy these headphones in the end as I saw a few reviews saying the isolation is not very good. One of my priorities (besides sound quality of course) was good sound isolation so I could use them in the same situations as you, on trains and public transport or quiet public places. It really annoys me when I hear the tinny sound of someones headphones on a train or somewhere quiet and I do not want to be that guy.

I have a pair of Jaybird Sportsband 2's which have really good sound quality but are very open and leak sound, so I would never wear them on the train but are great for walks, runs and in places need to be aware of my environment. I will stick with my wired pair of AKG K 480's for now, until I find an ideal pair of Bluetooth headphones.

I was really praying for the new iPhone 5 to have APT-X sound codec built in but no such luck! That would have opened the doors to some great sounding headphones.

Dalsim

hi Dalsim,
thanks for replying, i was wondering if you could point me in the direction to these reviews you saw, i'm debating between these headphones and the noontec zoros, in hopes that one of them could isolate better. I heard great reviews on the zoros but heard the isolation is subpar. and since these have a added bluetooth function, i was thinking what the heck. it might sway my decision.

tom22

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 12
  1. Hello Dziendobry,
  2. I have a few questions,
  3. Are you still happy with this choise?
  4. Does the sound good enough and enough bass?
  5. Can I connect the headphones to my computer with an 3.5mm jack and listen to music and if there's an incoming call on my phone I would answer this (By bluetooth)?
  6. Would you be able to check that please?

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for starting this thread Dziendobry.

I am real close to pulling the trigger on the Mee AF32. Looking forward to hearing any follow up from others.

I am still so attached to my Grados SR60 and Sennheiser HD400. The HD400 are probably older than most folks on this forum. However after many yellow foam ear-pad replacements, they are still great. I just need the functionality of BT in some cases, this may be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back