DarkAngel's a man, baby!
coverart.asp

coverart.asp

coverart.asp

coverart.asp

coverart.asp

coverart.asp

coverart.asp

Here is your chance to get many Mercury Living Presence CDs that are very hard to find packaged in reduced price sets of 4 or more CDs. I am currently listening to the Dorati/Mercury Tchaikovsky set and it is fabulous, sound is great compared to any recording allowing for minor master tape noise, recorded from 1960-65 using 3 microphone set-up has tremendous energy and dynamic range that will knock your socks off.......if you only get one set get Tchaikovsky. I like these better than newest reviewer darlings like Gergiev/Phillips or Gatti/DHM

The Dorati Bartok set and Dvorak set with Chicago SO are also strong sets.......these are currently available at Tower Records

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Are any of those multi channel or are they just 2 channel stereo?

The reduced price sets shown above are only carried in CD format by Tower, but I noticed some individual Mercury releases are now sold in SACD format.

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 11
DA,

Could you please pm me?

Yes I noticed that there were some Mercury LP cds in multichannel sound which is why I asked. I have the Starker Bach Cello suites in multichannel which sounds better than the regular stereo.

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 11
The Dorati set of Bartok is a winner. A reference set for sure.

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 11
I really like the Hanson set - he is conductor here, not the composer. It's a collection of works by American composers, some well known (Ives, Barber), and many less well-known. Sonics are excellent (if you like the "Mercury sound," which I do.)

Bunny, these are all 2-channel rbcd releases.

I just ordered the Tchaikovsky set. It's been on my wish list and this was the reminder I needed to pick it up.

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 11
I've got a few of the Paul Paray/Detroit recordings on vinyl--they are really fine (though a couple are reissues with stupid artificial stereo--even these sound great).

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 11
Doc,

I do have trouble with the sound on the Mercury series, but I also have a lot of the Dorati Bartok already and I can manage to sit through it. I also have the Starker Bach Cello suites in SACD and stereo. Yeah, I thought it would sound better in 3 channels than the 2 channel stereo so I bought it again (but for a good price). The 3 channels are a bit better than the 2 channels but I'm beginning to get used to the sound quality so perhaps I'll pick up a few more.

Tyson,

Do you think the Dorati is as good as the Dutoit Bartok? I really like that a lot.

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 11
After checking this out, I realize that I already have virtually the entire Dorati Bartok set on single-issue CDs. The "Bluebeard's Castle" recording is especially hair-raising - not to be missed. That is one bizarre work!

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Doc,

I do have trouble with the sound on the Mercury series, but I also have a lot of the Dorati Bartok already and I can manage to sit through it. I also have the Starker Bach Cello suites in SACD and stereo. Yeah, I thought it would sound better in 3 channels than the 2 channel stereo so I bought it again (but for a good price). The 3 channels are a bit better than the 2 channels but I'm beginning to get used to the sound quality so perhaps I'll pick up a few more.

I like the Mercury sound because the impact and detail is so evident, though I admit it takes getting used to, especially when one is used to present-day recording techniques. For me it is about perspective - the Mercs sound as if you are sitting on the front row of the hall (with the accompanying emphasis on strings and "close-up" sound); other labels' recordings sound like you are about ten rows back.

Also, the headphone folks on this board should realize that the Mercs contain a little tape hiss and other artifacts of 50's master tapes. For me its a non-issue but I know it bothers some.

The Mercury performances are uniformly excellent, if one likes the material (they recorded a lot of "pops" stuff along with the more serious works).

Room for 'em all in my collection!

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
After checking this out, I realize that I already have virtually the entire Dorati Bartok set on single-issue CDs. The "Bluebeard's Castle" recording is especially hair-raising - not to be missed. That is one bizarre work!

The individual Dorati/Mercury Bartok CDs are stereo with LSO, these are collected in last set above.

All discs in the Mercury Kubelik/Dorati set (statue of liberty graphic) are with Chicago Symphony Orch recorded from 1950-54 in good mono sound, you get some Bartok here also.......so really you need both
k1000smile.gif

Waiting to see if Tower Records has some type of year end blow-out sale......cart is full waiting for check-out button to be pushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back