MDR-V6 and V7 share the same earpads?
Nov 22, 2006 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

camille

1000+ Head-Fier
i'm wondering if the earpads for the MDR-V6 are interchangable w/ the V7? incidentally, would the velour DT250 pads work for the V7?

thanks.

Nov 23, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 7
I have a MDR-CD900ST and several MDR-V6 units. The pads all fit each other, however, recent pads are different from older pads. The older pads as found on Japan made MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 are not as deep as the pads on the newer Chinese made counterparts. I do not know if the Sony replacement pads being sold are being dispensed from the old style or new style(as found on the Chinese units). The deeper pads on the newer Chinese units creates a more uneven sound, in my perception, by a substantial degree. At first I thought the Japan units sounded different from the Chinese units, but I switched the pads around, and bingo.... the pads are the difference from what I can tell. However, you can probably flatten the pads using some constant pressure in very hot water(almost boiling) for 30-60 seconds. I corrected pads for a different headphone in this manner once; I expect the same thing would work here. If you do this, be certain to use cloth/towels between the metal pan surface and pleather surface of the ear pads.

Chris

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 7
^thx searchenabler!

where is the best place to get DT250 velour pads? B & H sells em for $17.50; anywhere cheaper?

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 7
I must update, in regards to pads for CD900ST. I tried the DT250 velour pads, and they caused, in my perception, a substantial degradation in audio quality. Sibilance occurred(never a problem with CD900ST with stock pads) and upper midrange/lower treble had a more prominent/forward effect. Also note that while MDR-V6/7506 pads will fit, they do need to be modified somewhat to use on CD900ST unless you want some sound difference. It is not really the same pad, just similar. The CD900ST pad is not as thick(driver closer to ear), and it has a perfectly acoustic transparent cloth between the driver and ear. The 7506/V6 pad has a somewhat thick foam filter between the ear/driver that seems to cause some HF roll off. I am currently awaiting a response from Audio Cubes concerning authentic CD900ST replacement pads.

Chris

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 7
I repadded few years ago my 7506. On the Sony box of the replacement part (X-2113-124-1) is written: MDR-V6, MDR-V7, MDR-7506

Users who are viewing this thread

Back