MD skipping normal?
Jul 23, 2003 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

epithetless

Headphoneus Supremus
It recently dawned on me that I could use my Sony MZ-R700 MD recorder as a portable player. So I started transferring songs and carrying the thing out with me. Everything sounded great, until...

I noticed the player kind of skips (although it's less "skipping" than the audio briefly dropping out) at random moments, even when I'm hardly moving. With closer inspection, I've discovered this happens toward the beginning of tracks, when the motor inside the player is audibly whirring. It seems that if it keeps whirring too long - which so far appears to be up to chance - the audio drops out for a second before picking up again. Sometimes it seems to be okay afterwards, and sometimes it skips some more. Starting the song over usually makes it worse. I'm not sure, but the motor may spin longer (or have trouble stopping spinning) when the player is not laying flat...but it doesn't make sense that a portable player can't be tilted.

So I'm wondering if this "audio drop-out while you can hear the motor spinning" effect is common among Sony MD players or if there's something specifically wrong with mine. Anything I can do to fix it?

And by the way, what is that motor noise (which I've heard with every Sony MD)? The G-protection starting up? If so, I guess it's not very effective...

Jul 23, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I've got a slightly newer model in the MZ-N707. I've run approximately 300 miles with it and have never had skip on me. If you're just walking, it should never skip.

MD's are known for being fairly skip resistant. I'd say there's something wrong with your machine.

Jul 23, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 5
not normal....same with drop outs

Jul 24, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Not normal. That shouldn't happen.

Jul 24, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah...that's what I feared. The weird thing is that it seems unrelated to motion. I've taken this player walking, running, and on the subway...it can certainly be bumped around with no problem. But every once in a while that motor keeps whirring and the audio skips. I almost feel like it's just thinking too hard. Poor thing.

Anyone know how much repairs would run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back