MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Jan 27, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #751 of 1,316
I had to buy my wife a Gucci handbag so she wouldn't ask questions lol. I'll be interested to know how the Abyss sounds with the MHA. I contemplated picking up a pair of the Abyss headphones but Im really loving my MHP1000's on the MHA right now.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #752 of 1,316
I had to buy my wife a Gucci handbag so she wouldn't ask questions lol. I'll be interested to know how the Abyss sounds with the MHA. I contemplated picking up a pair of the Abyss headphones but Im really loving my MHP1000's on the MHA right now.

There's an Abyss Lite for a little less money if you don't need all the accessories.  I won't link you to it.  Just google it.  :)

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #753 of 1,316

My wife's obviously a cheap date then, no demands yet, but I've preempted any possible future scenarios by cleaning and vacuuming her car - it was really dirty. The Gucci handbag seems a bit harsh!

Good luck :D

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #755 of 1,316

I am glad you are liking your MHP1000. I love mine with both the MHA100 and WA5-LE.
IMO they are the best closed headphones I have heard so far and I own or used to own: D5000, D7000,DX1000, Edition 9,W3000ANV, W11JPN,T1,T50. Also have listened to Edition 8 and LA7000. The only ones I have not listened to are the TH900.

The level of detail and size/presentation of the soundstage for a closed headphones is amazing.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 28, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #757 of 1,316
IMO they are the best closed headphones I have heard so far and I own or used to own: D5000, D7000,DX1000, Edition 9,W3000ANV, W11JPN,T1,T50. Also have listened to Edition 8 and LA7000. The only ones I have not listened to are the TH900.

The level of detail and size/presentation of the soundstage for a closed headphones is amazing.

I completely agree with what you're saying here.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #759 of 1,316
The MC252 arrived via FedEx ground in 2 days from PA to GA and the box had one corner lightly dented in on the top and the opposite top corner dented in more and torn along the box edge a couple inches.  The FedEx guy ran off fast and I couldn't stop him.  Took photos before opening the box and then opened it.  Inner original McIntosh box top torn halfway off as though the whole unit ripped through it.  unit itself i left in the box so as not to disrupt the evidence and took more pics.  amp might work fine but the inner box is destroyed and the outer box is damaged.  Filed a claim with FedEx as the shipping was fully insured ($3k, amp cost me $2700+155 shipping).  They say the claim must be resolved by the shipper not me.  What are your recommendations?  Amp might be fine didn't see any damage to the top of it but haven't pulled it out of the box maybe damage elsewhere.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #760 of 1,316
You might as well take it out and set it up to test it. If the box was trashed as bad as you said you can always put it back in the way you got it and say you never touched it. It's a beast of a piece of equipment, if the glass is good and no dents or flexing of the housings occurred you're probably fine.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #761 of 1,316
That sucks.  I'd definitely go after them.  There's value in the boxes should you want to resell and you paid for the insurance.  Hopefully the amp is OK...it looks like a beaut.

Shipping companies....we need them but boy they are awful with such frequency.

HS

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #762 of 1,316
The MC252 arrived via FedEx ground in 2 days from PA to GA and the box had one corner lightly dented in on the top and the opposite top corner dented in more and torn along the box edge a couple inches.  The FedEx guy ran off fast and I couldn't stop him.  Took photos before opening the box and then opened it.  Inner original McIntosh box top torn halfway off as though the whole unit ripped through it.  unit itself i left in the box so as not to disrupt the evidence and took more pics.  amp might work fine but the inner box is destroyed and the outer box is damaged.  Filed a claim with FedEx as the shipping was fully insured ($3k, amp cost me $2700+155 shipping).  They say the claim must be resolved by the shipper not me.  What are your recommendations?  Amp might be fine didn't see any damage to the top of it but haven't pulled it out of the box maybe damage elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that, but all is not lost. As mentioned, I would take it out of box, the unit might be ok - maybe video yourself taking it out, just in case you might need any further evidence. If the unit is ok, I would claim for packaging, and maybe a couple of the silver corner metal trims for your troubles!

I hope it all goes ok!

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #763 of 1,316
Called FedEx today and they will send out someone to evaluate the damage tomorrow, asked me not to remove it from the box yet.  Hopefully he will have time to help me pull it out of the box and see if it has other damage and powers up.  It would be a terrible shame to lose such a beautiful piece of amp because of shipping damage.  Anyone know what a new set of boxes cost?

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #764 of 1,316
Sorry to hear about the damage!

Whether from the McFactory or Audio Classics, new boxes should run from $60-$70, then a bit more to ship it to you.  

There's tons more shipping focused discussion in the Audiokarma forums, but essentially, the shipping methods go in this order of preference.

1) Amp in thick inner box, feet secured in custom cardboard plate with holes or amp mounted via screws to wooden platform, knobs and glass faceplate off if possible, surrounded on all corners by 2" foam, then placed in a thick outer box, then strapped onto a wood shipping palate.

2) Barring the palate, same as 1.

3) Barring palate, barring inner wooden platform, #1 with inner cardboard platform with foot holes, which is what Audio Classics will sell you.

4) There is no #4

Question - how was your inner box separated from the outer box?  Peanuts?

I've had a 100lb MC2205 shipped UPS from the east coast to CA, and I had the seller buy an original McIntosh box with internal wooden platform, and the amp arrived in perfect shape.  I've bought other (slightly lighter) pieces from Audio Classics, and they just use method #3.

Good luck, let us know how it sorts out.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #765 of 1,316
All packaging was original Mac.  Inner box was secured by the foam surrounds but not by any peanuts.  If it were it would not have broken through the inner box.  It did not have the wood.  I think the mistake was 50 50 the seller should have filled between the boxes with peanuts and the shipper shouldn't have dropped it upside down on a corner.  FedEx guy came out but was ready to pick it up not inspect it.  He came an hour late and had no idea why they told me it was to inspect it.  No way I was going to lose the entire thing to him if all it needs is the boxes replaced.  I will have to call them and find out why they mislead me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back