MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 1,316
  Looks good but 4500$ ? LOL
I little bit overpriced if you use it only as a headphone amp.

Indeed, wish they released it as separate DAC and an amp. DAC components usually get outdated really fast while amplifiers last for a very long time.

Here are pictures I took.

I like design. It is solid-state (no tubes found!) with enough juice to drive both orthos and high-impedance headphones.
It has variable output impedances, a bit vaguely saying "8~40", "40~150" and "150~300". I am not sure whether it has enough damping factor to drive Audezes, but sure it did drive HD600 (which was also a demo unit besides T50RP)
Only problem, like other McIntosh products, is price. No way I am going to pay 5K for just a single-ended-only headphone amplifier.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 1,316
You can usually take 10% or more off from an authorized McIntosh dealership.  Maybe one day; but I will have to audition it first. and perhaps not the headphones.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 1,316
Hi everyone .... has anyone heard the amp in question? I'm very curious to know your impressions 

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #19 of 1,316
What would the difference of this between the McIntosh D100 which is $2500?  the D100 has balanced outs as well as a headphone amp which sounds pretty good too.  Only think I read is that it also has a speaker amp inside and the meters?  

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #25 of 1,316
Glad I could feed your internet ego.

That would be my real life ego. I have no idea what an "internet ego" is.

That said, you're the guy leaping in to correct people who have not erred so I think you may have things a little bassackwards. No harm done but it would be nice if you read before assuming.

In the meantime, has anyone actually seen any photos of the rear of this unit?
I can't seem to find any online.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #26 of 1,316
So based on that video, it looks like it has a Headphpone Amp plus 50wpc speaker amp.  Looks to also have a programmable crossfeed function that you can program with your computer via usb.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #28 of 1,316
Hey Mike, seems like you are one of those few lucky chap beside tyll who actually heard it with Hd600, what is the sound like? Does it sound like a tube amp? mellow warmth type or neutral? Any amps you think resemble MHA-100? Just trying to get a feel of it.

Really interested.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #29 of 1,316
That would be my real life ego. I have no idea what an "internet ego" is.

That said, you're the guy leaping in to correct people who have not erred so I think you may have things a little bassackwards. No harm done but it would be nice if you read before assuming.

In the meantime, has anyone actually seen any photos of the rear of this unit?
I can't seem to find any online.

You're right, I assumed wrong based on the little info on the unit prior to my statement. My apologies for coming off crude. I assumed this was purely a headphone amp based on the release of the D100...now I just want to better understand this piece. Can't really say "value" at its price, but certainly an interesting piece of kit!

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #30 of 1,316
You're right, I assumed wrong based on the little info on the unit prior to my statement. My apologies for coming off crude. I assumed this was purely a headphone amp based on the release of the D100...now I just want to better understand this piece. Can't really say "value" at its price, but certainly an interesting piece of kit!

It seems at double the price of a D100, you get the programmable crossfeed, the multiple impedance settings, Mcintosh analog meters,  and a speaker amp.  That said, the Amp portions could be better than the D100's, which I hear is pretty decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back