McChanson amps tube rolling thread
Apr 26, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 246
When I talk about c3g driving c3g sometime ago, no one took any notice. Glad itโ€™s your desert island combination. ๐Ÿ˜œ

As far as I know, Ultimate is the only amp that allows you to do this.

This combination is particularly good with Susvara.
You are so right about this combination. Not only does it provide great sound, but power as well. Normally, I listen with the volume from around 10 to 11 o'clock. With this combination, my volume goes down to 9 o'clock.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #32 of 246
You are so right about this combination. Not only does it provide great sound, but power as well. Normally, I listen with the volume from around 10 to 11 o'clock. With this combination, my volume goes down to 9 o'clock.

With what headphone? I imagine ZMF will sound good with c3g.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #34 of 246
ultimate.jpg

mundorf____6bw4___footscray___6em7.jpg

UltimatE and the agony of choice: DHL delivered a brand new pair of 6EM7s, taking today's decision out of my hands:

Mundorf > 6BW4 > Footscray > 6EM7 Ultron

Good enough for me ๐Ÿ˜‡

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #36 of 246
Hello,
a stupid question:
Is it safe to assume that if one tube heats up more slowly than the other that the slower one will soon stop working?
At the moment it is more likely to be the output tubes, but it can be roughly generalised.

Another thing, since I plugged in the HAltron I didn't think anything bad at first.
I bought this rectifier second hand with no bad life.
Over time I noticed that it tends to be quieter on the left side than on the right.
At first I thought I was losing my ear on the left, then I tried 3-4 different drivers and everything stayed the same, then I thought oh no maybe my atrium has something.
Tried on the Euforia and all was good.
At some point I thought now change the rectifier and everything was fine again and disappeared.
The sound is nice and central again.
My question: Are these also signs/indications that the rectifier will soon be at the end?

Please keep the two questions separate, one has nothing to do with the other.
The first question is based more on the fact that I am currently working with the Gec KT63
the second question was rather incidental, but now had the bad luck that both occurred at the same time.
I'll be happy to explain later when I have more time, my head is a bit cluttered today.

@UntilThen thank you for the great info about the 6550s.
@albertmuc I love you camera,they are very nice picture you can do it with it.

Apr 27, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #37 of 246
Hello,
a stupid question:
Is it safe to assume that if one tube heats up more slowly than the other that the slower one will soon stop working?
At the moment it is more likely to be the output tubes, but it can be roughly generalised.

Another thing, since I plugged in the HAltron I didn't think anything bad at first.
I bought this rectifier second hand with no bad life.
Over time I noticed that it tends to be quieter on the left side than on the right.
At first I thought I was losing my ear on the left, then I tried 3-4 different drivers and everything stayed the same, then I thought oh no maybe my atrium has something.
Tried on the Euforia and all was good.
At some point I thought now change the rectifier and everything was fine again and disappeared.
The sound is nice and central again.
My question: Are these also signs/indications that the rectifier will soon be at the end?

Please keep the two questions separate, one has nothing to do with the other.
The first question is based more on the fact that I am currently working with the Gec KT63
the second question was rather incidental, but now had the bad luck that both occurred at the same time.
I'll be happy to explain later when I have more time, my head is a bit cluttered today.

@UntilThen thank you for the great info about the 6550s.
@albertmuc I love you camera,they are very nice picture you can do it with it.

I found this useful for Tung-Sol 6550 info as well.

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #38 of 246
Thanks @AnyDave ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
I will check it out,๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰.
Once again @UntilThen didn't exaggerate with the 6BQ7A driver tube.
Paired with the Atrium and EL34 Sed + 6BQ7A Hitachi, it sounds amazingly good.
Nice and delicate without harshness, maybe a bit recessed and you get lost quickly because everything flows nicely into itself with Vcap.
I still have to try out Haltron and the Hitachi with the Mundorf Sgo over the weekend.
I expect something similar with the Mundorf.
The amplification factor is also very good, it lies very well in the middle between 12au and 12At7.
Deyan's 6922 adapters work without any problems.
The tip will probably prove valuable again as I could buy both new for less than $30.
Thanks for the tip @untilthen,๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #41 of 246
My chase for a pair of EL12 Spez has ended today. Winning a NOS pair at auction on E-bay for a total of $153.00USD.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hUoAAOSwE71mI4mk/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sG0AAOSw6SVmI4Hs/s-l1600.png

Congrats - good price. You're chasing NOS vintage tubes. I'd say it's a fulfilling hobby not to mention the lovely sound.

I've also just ordered a pair of GEC 807 VT60. I have to hear for myself if it sound different from the ATS25 which I love by now. If they sound the same then I have a spare pair. :relaxed:

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #43 of 246
Thanks @AnyDave ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
I will check it out,๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰.
Once again @UntilThen didn't exaggerate with the 6BQ7A driver tube.
Paired with the Atrium and EL34 Sed + 6BQ7A Hitachi, it sounds amazingly good.
Nice and delicate without harshness, maybe a bit recessed and you get lost quickly because everything flows nicely into itself with Vcap.
I still have to try out Haltron and the Hitachi with the Mundorf Sgo over the weekend.
I expect something similar with the Mundorf.
The amplification factor is also very good, it lies very well in the middle between 12au and 12At7.
Deyan's 6922 adapters work without any problems.
The tip will probably prove valuable again as I could buy both new for less than $30.
Thanks for the tip @untilthen,๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™.

My pleasure. Cheap tubes, expensive tubes. As long as they sound great and Ultimate has this ability to make them sound great. I have not come across another tube amp that is so responsive to a variety of tubes. So far, all of my tubes are totally quiet with Ultimate.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #44 of 246

Possible. My friend offered to sell me the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal plate cheap but told me that the tube measure just borderline good. I bought it some time ago. I use it on Odyssey. One day there's just no sound from the amp at all and all the other tubes are lighted. It's probably died but I kept it as a souvenir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back