McAlister Audio Mini Meet
Aug 9, 2006 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Sorry I took so long to get around to this. I know that some of you have been waiting to see Peter's amp and read some impressions. Kevin [Pixel Pusher] was the camera man so he is unfortunately not in any of the pictures.

Here are the impressions of Steve's [swt61] ZapFilter Zhaolu I already posted --- http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=628

Pictures!!!
biggrin.gif

McAlister_MiniMeet_01.jpg

Peter and I, with me listening to his fantastic amp with the Eastsound E5/Zapfilter Zhaolu as source. My K340's are 'naked' at the moment as I got some new 'glue' to affix the wood with. I've also decided that I am going to do a bit more modding by sanding down the cups level and painting with some stuff that is similar in properties to krylon fusion.

McAlister_MiniMeet_02.jpg

The PL10, Renato's modded MS-1's and a pewter Gandalf holding the cables in place. This particular PL10 is tube rectified, though Peter himself prefers solid state rectification. As they saying goes though, the customer is always right.

McAlister_MiniMeet_03.jpg

Steve's Zhaolu with a custom faceplate that is going to my friend Jason [JBLoudG20] I hear as Steve has whipped up a new one since the headphone amp section has been removed in his DAC.

McAlister_MiniMeet_04.jpg

Am I hearing something I've never heard before or giving the MS-1's the finger?
biggrin.gif

McAlister_MiniMeet_05.jpg

A nice shot of the PL10 and my woody E5. Anyone who has seen an Eastsound CD player in real life will appreciate the size of Peter's amp.
blink.gif

McAlister_MiniMeet_06.jpg

Somebody said something funny.
wink.gif

McAlister_MiniMeet_07.jpg

Me hatching out a plan to force Peter to leave the amp... unfortunately it has already been sold. Oh well, I will likely see mine sometime in September, I can wait.

McAlister_MiniMeet_08.jpg

Floating ZapFilter!

McAlister_MiniMeet_09.jpg

The ZapFilter PSU was resting on my Anniversary Edition D&D book, with forward by Vin Deisel.
cool.gif

McAlister_MiniMeet_10.jpg

Hmmm?

McAlister_MiniMeet_11.jpg

Hmmm!

LOL, sorry, that just fit for some reason. Those pictures are both of Renato [looser101] while listening to my K340's.

McAlister_MiniMeet_12.jpg

It looks like Peter and I are about to have a game of dice, but we are actually both holding a pair of Neutrik chassis mount female XLR's.

McAlister_MiniMeet_13.jpg

Showing off all the left over parts from my failed amp build. Peter will try to incorporate these into the amp he is building for me. Bumby seems quite interested.

McAlister_MiniMeet_14.jpg

The same.

McAlister_MiniMeet_15.jpg

The Zhaolooser101 DAC, as Steve calls it.
biggrin.gif

McAlister_MiniMeet_16.jpg

Penny, NOOO!!! I know, it looks like a cute picture. In actuality, Penny is biteing through the headphone cable on my K81DJs. I think she was a little overstimulated as Peter really likes cats and Penny really likes attention. I was planning on recabling them anyways, now I have incentive.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will try to have some impressions up before the end of the day.
340smile.gif

As a teaser though, that amp is the Peter McAlister PL10 Headphone amp. My balanced amp that he is building me is based on the PL12, which is a model up from this. Also, since it is balanced it should have twice the amount of 'stuff' sprouting out of the top [13 tubes in total, I'm told] and should weigh a ton as the PL10 was not light. Apparently he should be able to still fit it in the same chassis though.
cool.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 62
Man that headphone amp looks nice. Hmmm. Too bad you won't try the HD650 with the amp even if your life depended on it,
tongue.gif
. I'd love to know how that sounds..

The thing that put me off of buying the old PL10 was the looks. It is certainly much prettier now! It's good to know that Peter is taking these concerns into heart,
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Hi all,

blah blah blah....

As a teaser though, that amp is the Peter McAlister PL10 Headphone amp. My balanced amp that he is building me is based on the PL12, which is a model up from this. Also, since it is balanced it should have twice the amount of 'stuff' sprouting out of the top [13 tubes in total, I'm told] and should weigh a ton as the PL10 was not light.

Only 13 tubes in total? Speaking from experience, your going to want an amp with at least 25 tubes. Cause you wouldn't want to get bored, you know.

Biggie.

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Man that headphone amp looks nice. Hmmm. Too bad you won't try the HD650 with the amp even if your life depended on it,
tongue.gif

Actually Peter did. I think he was the only one though and took them off in literally like 5 secs.
biggrin.gif
Let's just say he's not a Senn type of guy! In fact no one present was but funny enough when I first showed up I found a pair of HD650s on Jay's K340 “temple” stand?! Wished I was quick enough to have snapped a pic because Jay will just be in total denial.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

tongue.gif

We did actually. I don't think I can capture what Peter said perfectly, but it was something to the effect of, "I suppose those are nice to have around to show by comparison how good the K340's and Grado's really are"
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 62
Hehe... the temporary Zapfilter installation was pretty ghetto. But the jury says it's a winner and it's getting properly installed as I write this. I'll post some pics soon (don't worry Steve it will be all pretty and stuff).

Peter McAlister's PL-10 was indeed a nice piece. Sounded fantastic with the K340's.

After everyone left, Jason and I spent a considerable amount of time comparing the Zapfiltered Zhaolu, the Lavry DA10, and the E.Sound E5 discrete single ended output. The Modded Zhaolu won by a wide margin in our opinion. We gotta stop doing these lengthy shootouts, I left at 3:45am.

On a personal note, I would like to thank Peter McAlister for being kind enough to answer all my questions regarding tube amps. He is very knowledgeable and was a great help in adding to my knowledge. He also got to audition my tube amp and had some nice words to say. Perhaps he was just being polite.

Peters audition of the HD650's was kinda funny. He is definitely not a Senn guy. He thought they were a closed headphone.

Thanks to Kevin for the meet pics.

-R-

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

tongue.gif

We did actually. I don't think I can capture what Peter said perfectly, but it was something to the effect of, "I suppose those are nice to have around to show by comparison how good the K340's and Grado's really are."

Something like that anyways, it was much more funny in person. Right on par with Jamie's pose at the Oakville meet.
biggrin.gif

notorious.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Only 13 tubes in total? Speaking from experience, your going to want an amp with at least 25 tubes. Cause you wouldn't want to get bored, you know.

That sounds a lot like tube envy to me... how many tubes does your amp have?
evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Pusher
In fact no one present was but funny enough when I first showed up I found a pair of HD650s on Jay's K340 “temple” stand?! Wished I was quick enough to have snapped a pic because Jay will just be in total denial.

No denial here.
tongue.gif

Though, now that I've discovered the Sol Headphone Amp can drive the K340's at reasonable volume levels the HD650's will be staying in my closet until Tyll asks for them back.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101
Peters audition of the HD650's was kinda funny. He is definitely not a Senn guy. He thought they were a closed headphone.

hehehe

That was the other part I had forgotten. He was very confused as to why the K340 [completely closed] sounded so open and spacious, while the HD650's sounded closed despite their design [completely open].
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

That was it! Totally classic.
biggrin.gif
Had us on the floor laughing. One of many Peter McAlister memorable quotes. Kinda wished I had a voice recorder with me!

Being around Peter initially, I really felt like a wide eyed hobbit in front of Gandalf. A true gentleman with very distinct views and hilarious stories. This pic probably illustrates it best!
McAlister_MiniMeet_06.jpg

Quote:

Thanks to Kevin for the meet pics.

I normally never have my camera with me but knew this day would be a whole lot of fun!

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Nice pictures, man I can see rolling tubes in the McAlister amps getting very expensive

Not really, as most [if not all] of the tubes don't need to be rolled.. One of the little discussions we had hinged around that and Peter believes that if an amp is well designed, tube rolling will have little impact.

In any case, I think the number of tubes for my amp is actually 11... I miscounted there. It would be at least 13 with tube regulation, but Peter prefers solid state and I trust him.
biggrin.gif

From what I understand, only 6 of those tubes are actually in the signal path. The 4 tubes on the output are the 6H30's, which are kind of pointless to roll as the two versions apparently sound identical. The 2 input tubes are a fairly uncommon tube and as such I am not sure how much tube rolling can be done. There will also be 2 12sn7's, but they are not in the signal path so I will be using some decent, yet cheap, canadian rogers tubes that aerius traded to me. Then there is a pair of regulator tubes which will not need to be rolled as far as I know and one last tube that is part of the current source for the input tubes.

All that aside, the PL10 sounds lovely with 'stock' tubes and I think I will be quite happy with my amp.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

That sounds a lot like tube envy to me... how many tubes does your amp have?
evil_smiley.gif
No denial here.
tongue.gif

You just wait till I go all angstrom 2-box on my amp.
tongue.gif

Biggie.

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 62
DSC00555.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 62
holy crapoly. could you FIT anymore stuff in there?
cool.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

DSC00552.jpg

Niiccee! What spec's does that extra transformer have?

It's beautiful work, but I see that ugly stock RCA digital input is still there, just like on my Ori modded Zhaolu
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotta do something about that soon... The question is what would sound better: WBT Nextgen copper RCA jack or a cheap BNC jack.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
holy crapoly. could you FIT anymore stuff in there?
cool.gif

It's a tight fit. Gone are the headamp and all the front panel switches and LED's.

-R-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back