MB Quart Phones 85
Dec 4, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #136 of 293
Wow, we are experiencing Float overflow
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting to see faces put to the names here.

Faust2D I hope that you like the Model 2. Its been my favourite moving coil headphone for a long time.

I hope I like Float 2 as well.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #137 of 293
This little guy thinks you chilluns is pretty brave, putting your unprotected mugs up on this famously wiseacrery site. He decided to take off his Sennheiser HD 414 (closest thing to a Float he ever owned) before this photo was ka-chunked (it was a Nikon F), but it would be criminal of him not to show this rare shaven version of his face, and at the age most of you are now, in this thread... to show solidarity if nothing else.

WABE-FM19760121a_f.jpg

[size=xx-small]WABE-FM ANNOUNCE BOOTH LATE 1976[/size]

3 years later, still not wearing headphones:

KWMU790138-Ea_filtered-E.jpg

[size=xx-small]KWMU-FM PRODUCTION STUDIO CA. 1979. PHOTO BY JEROME FRITSCHLE[/size]

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #139 of 293
Goodness, we managed to elicit the picture we all really wanted to see. Well, two or three decades removed, but still. Now we just have to imagine in the lost time (white hair now? Surely not so long these days?), evidently a beard (me too, now that it's winter), maybe some spectacles (probably those little, frameless, tinker's glasses, some Ben Franklins say), and we'll have the current version.

And yes, F2D, how is it that this man has never owned a pair of floats? Red Krayola is dead on, and I for one get the feeling that the pre-Jehovah's Witness Crocus Behemoth has just been cropped out of the picture, frame right. Or maybe Anton Fier.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #140 of 293
I'll have to have my oldest son The Boy, as he likes to be called, and seen here lounging in FL Wright's Price Tower, take a decent photo.

Ericj and I share the same glasses. He has them MWF, I take them TThSa. Sunday, we let FV play with them. FV and I similarly share the One Raised Eyebrow (not shown in photo).

I'll retell the story of my one and only Float Encounter a little later.

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #141 of 293
Add a few decades? white hair? Ben Franklin glasses?

olderandspecs8.jpg

Somehow I doubt that I've created something which matches real life.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #142 of 293
[looks at Duggehs' mutated version of my face, an image which mercifully disappeared from post 141 in a server crash or summat] I may wish I looked like a French restaurant critic, but... Wait a tic-- on second look, I think you've disinterred and re-embalmed Benjamin Franklin (who liked it French) his own self.

Anyway, around the time that 1976 photo was taken, I was already heavily into 'stats, by then the proud but insecure owner of a Stax SR-X Mk 2 and doing some interesting binaural experiments by tying the then-new miniature Sony ECM-16 tietack mics to my ears. I was casting about for a truly open 'stat architecture (hadn't yet found the ECR-500) and the original Jecklin Floats seemed just the thing. Janszen (or Janszenlike) drivers and the whole works. The only dealer in Atlanta required an appointment to see the Floats... Oookay, I made an appointment. Drove out to a weird part of town, walked in, presented my credentials.. Long story short, they absolutely sucked. The term hadn't been invented yet, but that's what they did. I don't even recall if they had good binaural grunt-- I knew I couldn't live with them teetering on my head and sucking. Nice idea, silly implementation. But that was early days for the Floats. I believe they were brand new on the market then, and things have a way of improving over time, and I'm glad to hear that y'all enjoy yours.

One question: How are they on binaural recordings?

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #143 of 293
Great story. I haven't tried mine with any binaural stuff yet but they really do suck at accurate imaging. I think the whole problem is how the were made as the drivers are quite good. The frame make the Stax earcups look like works of art and the drivers are just put there without any support or good mounting to the frame.

I think the earlies drivers were indeed RTR sourced but they stole the design from Janszen anyway.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #144 of 293
You'd hope that the "PS2" float electrostat are better than the original float electrostat, but, *shrug*.

I'll have to do some side-by-side testing of qp85 vs. ecr-500.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #147 of 293
What is so terrible about the enclosure? It seems simple yet functional to me.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #148 of 293
Apparently it's does not play well with the large electrostatic driver. I would guess the driver is not clamped well enough and this causes problems. I hope the dynamic version does not suffer from this issue.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #150 of 293
I keep forgetting.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back