Maverick TubeMagic D1+ vs. Schiit M&M
May 8, 2014 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dndliohm

Head-Fier
I'm not interested in this "Tube DAC" weirdness, you can choose whether to use it anyway right? But the Maverick seems pretty killer for integrating into a setup with other sources, amps, preamps, speakers.

Schiit seems like the nicer product, and the company is US-based. But is it worth it, considering the extra switches and splitters I'll need? Is the sound better? Is the Maverick "op-amp" design not as good?

Thanks.

May 8, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 6
After much readings I done not long ago, the Modi better as a DAC, and the Magni is better as an amp.(more detailed, open, etc..)

The D1's advantages are of having some warmth added, and will give most headphones more volume.

May 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 6
I have the Tubemagic D1 (not the plus). It's very good. In direct comparison, it is not quite the quality of the O2/ODAC (which is comparable to the Modi/Magni). The ODAC/O2 has an edge in SQ. I also compared it with the FiiO E17, and found the Tubemagic to be better.

However, you wouldn't know the difference if you don't hear the Magni/Modi in direct comparison. The Tubemagic would sound good. I'd say the Tubemagic is just a good a value as the Magni/Modi given all the extra functionality.

Also, this model is not really a tube DAC. The tube is only integrated into the audio chain on the pre-amp outputs. The headphone output doesn't even go through it. So you'd only hear it with speakers or a separate headphone amp plugged up to those pre-amp outputs (but not the line outputs). I'm using the pre-amp output with a set of Energy V5.1s and an Indeed TA2021, and it sounds quite good. However, if you don't like that, you could always use the line outs on the Tubemagic and use the volume control on your Sherbourne.

You are also right. You'd have to get the Schiit Asgard and Modi to get pre-amp out capability to be able to use the volume control. There's not much signal loss in going with a splitter instead. I think it's supposed to raise the noise floor 3db by using a splitter (could be wrong), which is not significant.

May 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 6
I knew the tube doesn't affect the headphones, but can't you bypass it completely? I thought the "normal" out meant it outputs using SS stage, am I wrong?

Quote:
However, you wouldn't know the difference if you don't hear the Magni/Modi in direct comparison. The Tubemagic would sound good.

Ignorance is bliss?
The M&M are definitely better though, huh? Sigh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back