Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Oct 13, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #167 of 783
Yea go ahead and try it, personally I don't think I hear a difference at all and this is using the switch on my amp with both SS/Tube Preout connected.  There are some opamps out there that mimic the same kind of properties(distortion and oscillation) of a tube.  Problem is one of these is an HDAM from audio-gd which distorts on the maverick.

If you hear a huge difference you can  then start messing with the tubes. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #168 of 783
the problem is now I've already living my previous city (I get job at other city), so I can't do some tests again with D1

[size=medium]

Quote:
[/size]

Yea go ahead and try it, personally I don't think I hear a difference at all and this is using the switch on my amp with both SS/Tube Preout connected.  There are some opamps out there that mimic the same kind of properties(distortion and oscillation) of a tube.  Problem is one of these is an HDAM from audio-gd which distorts on the maverick.

If you hear a huge difference you can  then start messing with the tubes. 

it's interesting that you can't hear the difference, I wonder what that tube use for now 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #169 of 783
There might be a difference but I think it just adds a little distortion.  Which might add enough distortion to certain frequencies for it to bring other sounds forward.  I personally don't really notice it though.  Some do~ so just try it out for yourself and don't take my word for it when you can next.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #170 of 783
Help ...
The Volume control bypass...I accidently (twice) push it in and it was very loud this happened late at night and I woke up the house. I'm going from Mac to D1 to amp to speakers. My Mac setting it's on mute so the bypass should be mute? instead it's on full blast. I was going to put the  red tape on the bypass button that just seem strange. It this the way The D1 is design?

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #171 of 783

Quote:
Help ...
The Volume control bypass...I accidently (twice) push it in and it was very loud this happened late at night and I woke up the house. I'm going from Mac to D1 to amp to speakers. My Mac setting it's on mute so the bypass should be mute? instead it's on full blast. I was going to put the  red tape on the bypass button that just seem strange. It this the way The D1 is design?

The bypass button bypasses the volume control so the signal being sent out the RCA outputs is unattenuated.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #172 of 783
Spanky , this great job, make this info all about Mav DAC ( really hard for collect all info )

really help all of us to fine info before buy it

and this is my 1st DAC  ( for me like First love never die
biggrin.gif
  )

is open my ear , how enjoy sound quality

and below is about Mav DAC in Indonesia forum

http://forum.chip.co.id/sound-audio/161471-maveric-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac.html

http://www.audiophile-id.com/index.php?topic=4235.0

thanks

Regards

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #175 of 783
hi...
please help.

id like to know if this will help me achieve good sound quality from my ipod and active speakers audioengine a5 and subwoofer a8...

because, something is missing in my set-up:
ipod+apple dock+audioengine a5+audioengine subwoofer s8.

what does DAC do with my ipod?
does it make it sound more good?

sorry for my english.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #176 of 783

Hi Pinoyman,

1) iPod has its own internal dac and there is no one you can bypass that dac to tap onto Mav D1's DAC.
2) Adding D1 in between your ipod and ae5 will alter the sound signature of your current setup. If you're using decent RCA cables, I dare say that D1 will make your speakers sound fuller and add dynamics to the sound. In addition, you can 'customise' the type of sound you like by changing tubes and opamps.

hope that helps. =)

Quote:
hi...
please help.

id like to know if this will help me achieve good sound quality from my ipod and active speakers audioengine a5 and subwoofer a8...

sorry for my english.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #177 of 783
Hey peeps,

I was looking through eBay, and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HLLY-DAC-01-24BIT-96KHz-Tube-Headphone-Amp-DAC-Preamp-/260553292624?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3caa2fbb50#ht_4910wt_905

It does not have a stereo line in but has two RCA phono inputs compared to the D1.

Has anyone heard of these?  The circuitry looks very similar to the D1 by the looks of it.

That said, I dont think I'll be replacing my much loved D1 anytime soon - I just found that link out of the blue.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #178 of 783
Your question is answered in the FAQ on page 1:

The original TubeMagic was a Xiansheng DAC-01 clone but has since evolved into a more thoroughly researched and tested unit with several modifications and upgrades, not to mention a better looking case.

smile.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #179 of 783

Quote:
Your question is answered in the FAQ on page 1:

The original TubeMagic was a Xiansheng DAC-01 clone but has since evolved into a more thoroughly researched and tested unit with several modifications and upgrades, not to mention a better looking case.

smile.gif

Thanks ... I forgot about the FAQ page.

And the TubeMagic is a lot better looking - it makes better aesthetic sense.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #180 of 783
Imo you should be looking at the Tube Magic A1 which is an amplifier without a dac portion.  Its exactly what you want with your ipod, and when you get a good dac and digital audio system you can still use it.  While the D1 should bypass the dac section totally imo the best you can do is hurt the signal rather than make it better. 

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500259/maverick-audio-tubemagic-a1-hybrid-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread
Quote:
hi...
please help.

sorry for my english.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back