Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1 or D1 for my setup ?
Aug 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mkygod

100+ Head-Fier
I use my PC exclusively as the source for my headphone listening and my current setup is:

WIndows 7 PC --> Auzentech Prelude X-Fi 7.1 soundcard --> Onkyo SR805 AV receiver (using analog inputs)--- > AKG K702 headphones

I'd like to get a headphone amp or amp/dac combo to replace my AV receiver in this chain.

I feel that my Prelude soundcard already has a decent DAC (AK4396), so I'm not sure if the D1 will be much better in this department. Do you think I would hear more improvement going with the D1 amp/dac combo or the A1 amplifier in this scenario?

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 4
I cannot recommend the D1 as a headphone amp.  I had it, and despite the threads here singing its praise, there wasn't much I liked about it.  Despite its price, IMHO, it was a monumental disappointment.  The headphone had a constant buzz and I thought it was extremely bright.  As a DAC, it was decent.  The tube pre-output was extremely subtle at best.

Maybe I got a dud, but I'm just throwing that out there in the spirit of disclosure.

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 4
I think you probably did get a dud.  Either that or I got a diamond in the rough.  My D1 is almost dead silent even with my SE530s.

I thought it handled the K702s quite well when I demoed a pair on my D1.  I don't know much about the A1 though, so I can't compare them.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 4
It all depends when you bought it.  The first batches had the problems, but later batches had adjustments.  I'm disappointed by the fact I got essentially got a beta-tester, but paid full price to test it. 

Quote:
I think you probably did get a dud.  Either that or I got a diamond in the rough.  My D1 is almost dead silent even with my SE530s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back