Maverick Audio Hybrid A1, how does this compare to ...?
Dec 29, 2011 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pancakeplease

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know how this compares to portables such as the Pico by Headamp, a high end home theater receiver by a good brand like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.? (For both headphones and speakers)
I wish I had the money to buy 1 out of each class (portables, low end, high end, budget all-in-ones) but sadly I can't. I'm deciding on my first headphone amp and am liking the fact that these can power my bookshelf speakers. I need something for my bookshelf speakers AND headphones and this would kill those 2 birds with 1 fat stone that's decently priced. I'm just curious though that by doing this, if I'm going to get mediocre sound quality for my speakers and mediocre quality for my headphones.. Should I go separate?

My budget's right around $200 which is what the A1 is priced at so it's either this to fill the needs of an headphone and speaker amp. Or I get a portable headphone amp/dac combo for around $150 (used is fine) and buy some vintage stereo receiver or a T-amp for my bookshelfs. Or any other combination out there that will be best.

I'm mainly concerned about sound quality. This is for a very small space, my room. 1/2 my room actually since it's for my computer desktop setup so it will be playing 3 feet from my ears. But doesn't mean I don't like to loud at times. I understand based on the many reviews I've read. that the Maverick Audio A1 http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1/hardware_a1 is able to power bookshelfs fine so powering is not an issue. The sound quality though is something I've concerned about especially since its not like I can test it out before I buy it. I bring this up because I had 2 different brand receivers... One was an Onkyo and the other was a 11 year old Denon. The Denon was higher quality despite it's age and was much more expensively priced when it came out and it showed in the SQ. I'm not super meticulous or anal about SQ and I'm not one to try to find the "best", most expensive cable out there but the sound quality difference between the Denon and Onkyo receivers were huge. Noticeable. On both "Direct" and Stereo mode", digital analog, all music modes, etc. I couldn't figure out why there was such a discrepancy in the SQ and attributed to the fact that the Denon is just heavier, made with better parts. Anyway, the sound quality is the most important factor here for me and I'm having a hard time searching answers cause most forums i read about speakers are audio forums like AVSforum or audioholics but they seem more geared toward home theater rather than music and fine SQ analysis. 

I'd love to hear some input. Honestly, I think based on the reviews, the Maverick Audio A1 will satisfy my needs but I really dont have anything to compare to. I'll say this, if it sounds better than my old but premium quality Denon receiver (which sounds great for my speakers AND the headphone out), then I will be 100% satisfied. 

Any input appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back